Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • poorbutrich
    • By poorbutrich 28th Aug 11, 8:39 PM
    • 1,495Posts
    • 5,545Thanks
    poorbutrich
    PBR's "M" for "mortgage" diary!
    • 28th Aug 11, 8:39 PM
    PBR's "M" for "mortgage" diary! 28th Aug 11 at 8:39 PM
    Hi there
    I hope it's ok to join you! I have been lurking on these threads for a while and have been very inspired by your stories and success.

We bought our house two years ago and paid too much for it! I resent every penny in interest we're paying on it and am determined to be MF as soon as possible!

I am married to a lovely, wonderful man who shares my dreams to be MF most of the time, but is very busy with work and studying, so the practicalities are left to me. While he's supportive of my extra curricular activities that I undertake in order to bring extra pennies, he doesn't have time to do the same and can sometimes come home with cans of beer or a takeaway! He's not as meticulous as I am with comparing prices and ensuring he gets the best deal, but he's perfect in every other way, so I can live with it

The other reason for paying off our mortgage asap is that I am six months pregnant, and it's recently occured to me that I won't be working (and therefore earning!) for six months, and that we'll most likely have a BABY at the end of the year!

I'm going to detail the silly little things that keep the wheels turning and how I am going to cut back and overpay as much as possible!!

Today's thing was selling various CDs and things lying around the house. Several things have ended on that auction site tonight, netting us £40, so that's a good start!

Looking to hearing your views and getting a good kick when my energy starts to fail!
Page 23
    • poorbutrich
    • By poorbutrich 30th Jun 17, 10:56 AM
    • 1,495 Posts
    • 5,545 Thanks
    poorbutrich
    Am feeling ill and grumpy at the moment, so saving quite a bit on not going out and not drinking!

Not much other MSE activity going on - although I made a frittata type thing for dinner last night with all the odds and ends of vegetables and unknown items in the fridge. Surprisingly, it went down quite well although I noticed that there was a lot less ketchup left this morning.

Have a great weekend everyone!
    Overpay!
    • mouche
    • By mouche 30th Jun 17, 1:11 PM
    • 879 Posts
    • 4,358 Thanks
    mouche
    Odds and end frittata sounds great! Hope you feel better soon. At least you're not spending on enjoying yourself (such a miseryguts I am!)
    Mortgage (original/ current):193,000 (23/09/11)/ £144,515.84 (16/06/2017).
    MFW target for 2017: £2355.48/ £5,000
    2017 Challenges
    Grocery Challenge: £162.32/£200 (July); £200.76/ £200 (June)
    Make £300 a month: £107.42/£300 (July); £237.88/ £300 (June)
    Lose 3st 9lb: 1st 12lb/3st 9lb
    • poorbutrich
    • By poorbutrich 30th Jun 17, 1:22 PM
    • 1,495 Posts
    • 5,545 Thanks
    poorbutrich
    Odds and end frittata sounds great! Hope you feel better soon. At least you're not spending on enjoying yourself (such a miseryguts I am!)
    Originally posted by mouche
    Thank you! I feel better already - was just feeling sorry for myself. Amazing what a cup of tea can do!
    Overpay!
    • poorbutrich
    • By poorbutrich 4th Jul 17, 2:59 PM
    • 1,495 Posts
    • 5,545 Thanks
    poorbutrich
    MSE:

1. Sold a birthday present on Fleabay.
    2. Went to the early bird session at the gym, so much cheaper.
    3. Just had DH's leftovers for lunch.
    4. Got a free coffee just in the nick of time as the offer (if you buy the grounds, you can exchange the empty packet for a free coffee) expired today!

Not MSE:

1. Very expensive weekend. Mostly worth it though!
    2. Had to buy two meals at a service station. ££££ and YUCK!
    3. Bought a pair of shoes that don't fit as well as I thought and I CAN'T FIND THE RECEIPT!
    4. Listed some bits and bobs on FB selling page and had no interest at all.
    Overpay!
    • mouche
    • By mouche 4th Jul 17, 3:07 PM
    • 879 Posts
    • 4,358 Thanks
    mouche
    I find FB overcrowded now. Too many people selling tat! Have you tried shpock? It's an app that you can use to sell to local people. I've made a couple of good sales there but nothing amazing. Might be useful as one of the places you sell.

About the shoes...where did you buy them from? I have returned things to M&S without the receipt so some shops do accept it on goodwill.
    Mortgage (original/ current):193,000 (23/09/11)/ £144,515.84 (16/06/2017).
    MFW target for 2017: £2355.48/ £5,000
    2017 Challenges
    Grocery Challenge: £162.32/£200 (July); £200.76/ £200 (June)
    Make £300 a month: £107.42/£300 (July); £237.88/ £300 (June)
    Lose 3st 9lb: 1st 12lb/3st 9lb
    • poorbutrich
    • By poorbutrich 4th Jul 17, 3:25 PM
    • 1,495 Posts
    • 5,545 Thanks
    poorbutrich
    I find FB overcrowded now. Too many people selling tat! Have you tried shpock? It's an app that you can use to sell to local people. I've made a couple of good sales there but nothing amazing. Might be useful as one of the places you sell.

About the shoes...where did you buy them from? I have returned things to M&S without the receipt so some shops do accept it on goodwill.
    Originally posted by mouche
    Shpock! That's a good shout! I will try it, although from the looks of the advert, I'll be too old to sell on there!

The shoes were from a high end shoe retailer - Sainsbugs. Worth a try! Thank you
    Overpay!
    • poorbutrich
    • By poorbutrich 13th Jul 17, 7:58 PM
    • 1,495 Posts
    • 5,545 Thanks
    poorbutrich
    Just watching this Eat, shop, save, pray, love programme that's on TV at the moment and remembered my own MSE adventures!

I managed to exchange the shoes for some school uniform, it looks huge, but am sure that DS will fit into it by September.

Thanks for the tip about Shpock. Must get round to downloading it but my phone seems to be having storage issues with the number of photos, videos and other nonsense I've got on there.

Other MSE things - applied for a refund on my Oyster card as I don't really tend to work in London anymore; can't remember how much is on there, but it all helps.

-Have been cycling everywhere as DH kindly pumped up the tyres on my bike.

NOT MSE:

-Hospital parking!! I have spent hundreds on this in the last couple of months. £42 this week alone!
    Overpay!
    • Kittenkirst
    • By Kittenkirst 14th Jul 17, 11:03 AM
    • 1,573 Posts
    • 8,085 Thanks
    Kittenkirst
    Hey Poorbutrich! Just catching up on your diary, hospital parking is so expensive, always feels wrong to me that you have to pay to see loved ones!

As well as using fb selling always try gumtree too; I've had a few good sales from there in the last year
    2017 MFW #20 - OP £1914.25/ £2150. 89%
    Last 3 months- Jul £172.36 Aug: £212.52 Sep £161.63

Emergency fund £3725]/£6k
    Mortgage Oct '16 £170.995 LTV 90% end: Nov 2041
    2016 OPs £255.50/£150
    • poorbutrich
    • By poorbutrich 17th Jul 17, 8:04 PM
    • 1,495 Posts
    • 5,545 Thanks
    poorbutrich
    Hey Poorbutrich! Just catching up on your diary, hospital parking is so expensive, always feels wrong to me that you have to pay to see loved ones!

As well as using fb selling always try gumtree too; I've had a few good sales from there in the last year
    Originally posted by Kittenkirst

Great advice as ever -thank you. I will have another look at GT (someone tried really hard to scam me last time I advertised on there!), but I should open my mind and try again! The things I was trying to sell were fairly low value, so it might be more cost effective just to donate them to charity shop or on Freecycle!

Thanks also for feeling my pain on the hospital parking. More parking tomorrow.

MSE things:

Used nectar points to pay for cinema tickets (it must have been a long time since I went to the movies as I nearly keeled over when they said it was £32 for two children and me!)

STocked up on popcorn and drinks before we went in. Good thing too or I might have had to remortgage!

Defrosted some meat from the freezer in good time as I correctly predicted that DH would want to put some burgers on the barbecue!

and most importantly- subscribed to Kittenkirst's MSE diary!

Overpay!
    • Kittenkirst
    • By Kittenkirst 17th Jul 17, 10:41 PM
    • 1,573 Posts
    • 8,085 Thanks
    Kittenkirst
    and most importantly- subscribed to Kittenkirst's MSE diary!

Originally posted by poorbutrich
    I'll try to keep the kitten spam and General waffle down
    2017 MFW #20 - OP £1914.25/ £2150. 89%
    Last 3 months- Jul £172.36 Aug: £212.52 Sep £161.63

Emergency fund £3725]/£6k
    Mortgage Oct '16 £170.995 LTV 90% end: Nov 2041
    2016 OPs £255.50/£150
    • poorbutrich
    • By poorbutrich 27th Aug 17, 6:23 PM
    • 1,495 Posts
    • 5,545 Thanks
    poorbutrich
    I'll try to keep the kitten spam and General waffle down
    Originally posted by Kittenkirst
    Don't do that! Your diary is a great read and is the first thing I read every morning to keep me on track!

I've been inspired to post today as my friend and I did a boot sale today and thanks to the sunshine and the lovely local buyers (and pricing everything to sell!), we shifted almost everything we'd brought. We didn't make a fortune, but enough to do some food shopping, so feeling

Hope everyone is enjoying their bank holidays!
    Last edited by poorbutrich; 06-09-2017 at 2:55 PM.
    Overpay!
    • poorbutrich
    • By poorbutrich 6th Sep 17, 2:57 PM
    • 1,495 Posts
    • 5,545 Thanks
    poorbutrich
    Not much progress here; feels like a battle for every penny! Only MSE things since I last posted are shopping in Lidl and cycling everywhere. Oh and eating a tin of macaroni cheese that I bought for a camping trip - some things definitely taste better when you heat them up in the woods as opposed to eating them at home!
    Overpay!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

156Posts Today

1,265Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin