Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Woody's Girl
    • By Woody's Girl 28th Aug 11, 9:42 AM
    • 48Posts
    • 12Thanks
    Woody's Girl
    Anyone tried the Eco Egg?
    • 28th Aug 11, 9:42 AM
    Anyone tried the Eco Egg? 28th Aug 11 at 9:42 AM
    http://www.ecoeggonline.com/

It seems like a no brainer, better for the environment and a money saver. Has anyone tried it?

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by MSE Andrea; 31-07-2012 at 8:29 PM.
Page 3
    • antrobus
    • By antrobus 7th Feb 12, 7:37 AM
    • 15,353 Posts
    • 21,901 Thanks
    antrobus
    ... I'm also annoyed that as a consumer I'm not allowed to know what the pellets contain. ...
    Originally posted by rocsen
    They contain sodium bicarbonate aka baking soda.
  • rocsen
    Strange if you have been diagnosed with dermatitis that you are washing using unknown chemicals in the Ecoegg. Probably even worse if you rinse with it in while it releases a soapy substance - or do you have to pause every wash and take out the egg before rinsing starts?

Did your doctor recommend using the ecoegg to help your condition?
    Originally posted by grahamc2003
    It's contact dermatitis and the doc just suggested changing the detergent. I didn't see a dermatologist so no patch testing was done and as such I cannot say for sure it was the Ecover. But it started around my ankles exactly where my socks go up to and then appeared in other areas where clothing was tight like around my hips etc. Still purely an assumption.

As the ecoegg is hypoallergenic and approved by allergy uk I thought I'd give it a shot. Like I said it's all I can go on as I'm just a blind consumer.

The rash is clearing now and whether that's because I'm rinsing double(I remove the egg in-between) or switched detergent would be anyone's guess but so far so good.
  • rocsen
    They contain sodium bicarbonate aka baking soda.
    Originally posted by antrobus
    Does that become soapy when wet?
  • kirstypeople
    Ecoegg ingredients
    Hi all,

Ive been using my Ecoegg for a while now and was recommended it by a friend as I react badly to normal detergents. Ive never had a reaction to the ecoegg. I had a look on the box just now after reading your posts and it does actually state the ingredients of the pellets. The ingredients are tourmaline (the black pellets) which I think is a natural softening mineral/ stone, they put that in so you dont have to use fab conditioner; then theres sodium olefin sulfonate ( I googled this and its a cleaning agent know for being kind to skin; and the last ingredient is sodium carbonate also known as baking soda. Again known for being kind to skin. So I cant really see any ingredients that would harm your skin, I dont think Allergy UK would have put their name on the box if it wasnt suitable for sensitive skin.

Hope that helps!
  • Silverjoy
    Read the question- I've used it and it is a great money saver
    As an O.A.P. I have to look to save money. tried under a 30 day guarantee, and have used it for six months.
    What ever the chemical reactions it works, and it does bang a little in the drum, but not enough to to do any centrifugal damage.
    I recently read a review which said better results when you remove before rinses, so I do that now when I am in the kitchen, if not I use it as I have for the last six months, I have nine full packets of refil (sodium carbonate) pellets, many more virtually free washes.
    Another plus point is safety for sensitive skin, no harsh chemicals to irritate, so good for children too.
    You can use stain removers or fabric softeners along side, but I only use if the stain does not come out on my first Eco Wash (30 degrees) Stains that need treating and another wash are about one in seventy garments.
    Please don't make guessing interlectual reviews - use it first or leave the replies to those that have gone to that bother. there are other places to argue the science on blogs.
  • Silverjoy
    Eco Egg - has helped my contact dermatitis
    The egg contains only simple ingredients, which are detailed in another reply. Hope it continues to work for you.

It's contact dermatitis and the doc just suggested changing the detergent. I didn't see a dermatologist so no patch testing was done and as such I cannot say for sure it was the Ecover. But it started around my ankles exactly where my socks go up to and then appeared in other areas where clothing was tight like around my hips etc. Still purely an assumption.

As the ecoegg is hypoallergenic and approved by allergy uk I thought I'd give it a shot. Like I said it's all I can go on as I'm just a blind consumer.

The rash is clearing now and whether that's because I'm rinsing double(I remove the egg in-between) or switched detergent would be anyone's guess but so far so good.
    Originally posted by rocsen
  • Silverjoy
    Try it
    Try it - manufacturer gives 30 day money back guarantee as do QVC.

I imagine that the previous suggestion of putting some small stones in a sock and sticking that in the washing machine probably would have much the same effect, particularly if you added some baking soda into the sock as well.[/QUOTE]
  • rocsen
    Try it - manufacturer gives 30 day money back guarantee as do QVC.

I imagine that the previous suggestion of putting some small stones in a sock and sticking that in the washing machine probably would have much the same effect, particularly if you added some baking soda into the sock as well.
    Originally posted by Silverjoy
    [/QUOTE]

As do a 100 other retailers. I see a lot of QVC promotion going on here and other forums. Someone already got a warning on another forum for creating fake login id's and promoting QVC
  • Freco
    Ecoegg
    Tried two different types of Ecoegg, both different designs failed. The Egg distorts in shape & the different closing design does not work. As a result the pellets spill out into the washing drum. To clarify the Egg was not subjected to temperatures above recommended. The quality of the actual wash is excellent but unfortunately let down by the Egg design. Apparently they had problems with initial Egg design with it opening in use, their modified design is not an improvement.
    • Ben84
    • By Ben84 7th Jun 12, 2:36 PM
    • 2,922 Posts
    • 3,582 Thanks
    Ben84
    From general conversations, it seems a lot of people are suddenly discovering washing powder makes them itchy. I don't actually think it's something new about the powder, I think in many cases the newer machines just don't rinse out as well as the old ones did as they use less water. I found the clothes were kind of hard and 'chalky' with the new machine (have to put a lot of powder in as we have hard water ~120g). I've been programming mine to do an extra couple of rinses at the end of the cycle now and that makes sure the powder is all washed down the drain at the end of each wash. It's no good if it builds up on the clothes and inside the machine.
  • AnaMarcela
    Vinegar damage ecoegg?
    I just bought an ecoegg and Im very please with the product.
    But my question is.

I use vinegar in the last rinse cycle as a fabric softener.
    Someone knows if vinegar can diminish the life of the petals of the ecoegg?

Thanks
  • janetjames
    Vinegar and ecoegg pellets
    I have an ecoegg and I havnt never used vinegar in the rinse cycle so I couldnt tell you if it shortens the life of the pellets. I have never needed to add a softener when using the ecoegg because my clothes come out pretty soft anyway. I think its the black pellets that do the softening bit. Why dont you give it a go without the vinegar and see if the clothes are soft enough for you.
  • knightangel900
    We've got an ecoegg and it works wonders. The only down side is that it doesn't get rid of stains and grease very well. We have to use washing power and stain remover on them to get them out, but apart from that, cleans clothes really well. Would recommend to people who donít have many grease or stains on their clothes.
    • furndire
    • By furndire 12th Aug 12, 9:54 AM
    • 7,167 Posts
    • 31,470 Thanks
    furndire
    I use them all the time. We are also in a hard water area.
    Occasionally add a little stain remover if extra dirty washing. (even my husband no longer uses snotty hankies, so I wouldn't know about getting those clean)

We also use them in our camper - travelled round for 3 months earlier this year. We use them to hand wash - soak first for 20 mins in hot water.

They are ideal in this situation, as water is generally short for washing, and rinsing out detergent suds takes a lot longer than the actual washing of the garments. It has saved me a small fortune in laundrette costs while travelling. Again any particular stains, & I spray with stain remover - or when hand washing, I just rub the stains with a bar of soap.
    My daughter always uses them to hand wash her bras, & any other delicate stuff at home.

I don't use fabric softener, but do use the knobbly ball things that you put in the tumble drier. I read somewhere that towels are not so absorbent when you use fabric softener - & it certainly seems to be the case imho although the towels do not feel as soft.

However they are a pain in the proverbial for parting in the wash.
    To counteract this, I have fastened them together with plastic garden ties that you use to fasten plants with. They are removeable, so when I need to fill up the egg with new beads, I can partially refil them - its tricky, but does work.

For extra info, I go mine from QVC. I rang long after the 30 days, and got replacement "eggs" sent, but they were the same stupid design, so that was when I came up with using the plastic tags to tie them together.
    Last edited by furndire; 13-08-2012 at 10:45 AM.
    • pwllbwdr
    • By pwllbwdr 12th Aug 12, 2:52 PM
    • 423 Posts
    • 376 Thanks
    pwllbwdr
    Hi

I tend to agree ... the independent test results were run at 15C, a temperature where most/many washing powders produce very poor results anyway, so perhaps that's what the test was designed to do ... provide very little cleaning benefit from chemicals so that a hard object within the washload would perform relatively better .... perhaps the 'river pebble in a towling sock' raised a few posts back should have been used as a control in the test .....

[TEXT DELETED BY FORUM TEAM]

Perhaps Rob from EcoEgg will be so kind as to put my sceptical mind at ease later ...

HTH
    Z
    Originally posted by zeupater
    It seems to me that the temperature at which the tests were run is a rather significant point. I don't know what text was deleted by the forum team, but the footing says that an investigation was taking place. That was months ago - what happened?
    • MSE Andrea
    • By MSE Andrea 11th Jan 18, 10:06 AM
    • 8,874 Posts
    • 21,275 Thanks
    MSE Andrea
    A lot of people are coming to this thread from Google so we've re-opened it.

If you weren't around when the discussion was originally started in 2012, have you used eco eggs? What do you think?
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
    • zeupater
    • By zeupater 11th Jan 18, 10:39 AM
    • 3,913 Posts
    • 4,883 Thanks
    zeupater
    A lot of people are coming to this thread from Google so we've re-opened it.

If you weren't around when the discussion was originally started in 2012, have you used eco eggs? What do you think?
    Originally posted by MSE Andrea
    Hi

We haven't, additionally, I've just re-read what it was all about (as my memory's not quite that good!) & my opinion would now be exactly the same as it was then ...

As no detailed information was forthcoming at the time, I'd consider that it says something about the product which supports a position of scepticism ..

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    • silverwhistle
    • By silverwhistle 13th Jan 18, 8:32 PM
    • 1,683 Posts
    • 2,212 Thanks
    silverwhistle
    Never used them but having seen this thread I do have some rounded pebbles from the beach and some old socks. A simple matter to put the spin speed to zero, take the pebbles out and then do a proper spin..

Joking aside I do occasionally do the odd freshen up wash without detergent, and there always seems to be some residue left.
    • Katiehound
    • By Katiehound 14th Jan 18, 12:37 PM
    • 4,008 Posts
    • 38,253 Thanks
    Katiehound
    One of our 'cheapie' shops was selling Eco-eggs at a good price last month and a friend bought a couple. She is vegetarian and won't buy anything tested on animals etc. Says she is well pleased with them.

Interestingly I note that Lakeland are now selling them- they generally quality test products before they sell so I guess they pass muster.

And yes, I bought a couple as well but have a load of conventional laundry products to use first........
    They were a bargain - 210 washes x2 for £10
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!

If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Many thanks

2018 Wombling .... Entrant 8 ... £.00!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,146Posts Today

7,753Users online

Martin's Twitter