Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • evoke
    • By evoke 26th Aug 11, 11:00 AM
    • 1,259Posts
    • 778Thanks
    evoke
    Fitted wardrobes or standalone ones?
    • 26th Aug 11, 11:00 AM
    Fitted wardrobes or standalone ones? 26th Aug 11 at 11:00 AM
    Pros and cons of fully-fitted wardrobes (floor to ceiling ones) vs. standalone ones please.

I need to make a decision over the next few weeks on bedroom furniture.
    Everyone is entitled to my opinion!
Page 1
    • the_r_sole
    • By the_r_sole 26th Aug 11, 11:05 AM
    • 2,328 Posts
    • 1,172 Thanks
    the_r_sole
    • 26th Aug 11, 11:05 AM
    • 26th Aug 11, 11:05 AM
    what kind of size are your rooms? is it just one bedroom or a couple?
    • evoke
    • By evoke 26th Aug 11, 11:07 AM
    • 1,259 Posts
    • 778 Thanks
    evoke
    • 26th Aug 11, 11:07 AM
    • 26th Aug 11, 11:07 AM
    Quite small bedrooms actually - say 10' x 10' for the two main bedrooms that i'd need wardrobes for. They're completely empty at the moment apart from a bed in one of them. I need to maximise the use of space as they're not large bedrooms and need enough wardrobe space (which can be spread across the two main bedrooms) for a couple.
    • the_r_sole
    • By the_r_sole 26th Aug 11, 11:09 AM
    • 2,328 Posts
    • 1,172 Thanks
    the_r_sole
    • 26th Aug 11, 11:09 AM
    • 26th Aug 11, 11:09 AM
    are they back to back?
    • evoke
    • By evoke 26th Aug 11, 11:12 AM
    • 1,259 Posts
    • 778 Thanks
    evoke
    • 26th Aug 11, 11:12 AM
    • 26th Aug 11, 11:12 AM
    They're adjoining bedrooms (separated by one wall).
  • WhenIGrowUp...
    • 26th Aug 11, 11:15 AM
    • 26th Aug 11, 11:15 AM
    I'm not a big IKEA fan but I have IKEA PAX wardrobes, they are standalone but look like built in ones and are surprisingly really robust - I love them and they're great space savers.
    • the_r_sole
    • By the_r_sole 26th Aug 11, 11:16 AM
    • 2,328 Posts
    • 1,172 Thanks
    the_r_sole
    • 26th Aug 11, 11:16 AM
    • 26th Aug 11, 11:16 AM
    if there is room with doors etc, could you rob a foot off each room and remove the seperating wall?
    would lose the least space from each room...

not explained that very well, i'll be back with a sketch!
    • the_r_sole
    • By the_r_sole 26th Aug 11, 11:33 AM
    • 2,328 Posts
    • 1,172 Thanks
    the_r_sole
    • 26th Aug 11, 11:33 AM
    • 26th Aug 11, 11:33 AM

something like that!
  • SUESMITH
    • 26th Aug 11, 11:35 AM
    • 26th Aug 11, 11:35 AM
    i second the ikea pax ones, we have them in all our bedrooms simply because of the amount of stuff they will hold, plus they have a good range of interior fittings
    'We're not here for a long time, we're here for a good time
    • evoke
    • By evoke 26th Aug 11, 11:58 AM
    • 1,259 Posts
    • 778 Thanks
    evoke
    LOL - I might have to eat my words if I bought anything from Ikea! I will check out the PAX range though.
    • ic
    • By ic 26th Aug 11, 12:57 PM
    • 2,514 Posts
    • 1,293 Thanks
    ic
    I also back PAX wardrobes. Last a lifetime, and very flexible - I've rearranged the shelves, rails, drawers, etc several times now.
    • 27col
    • By 27col 26th Aug 11, 12:59 PM
    • 6,450 Posts
    • 4,215 Thanks
    27col
    I've just fitted a pair of IKEA Pax wardrobes and I think that they are brilliant. Some of the design detail is very impressive. The whole thing went together faultlessly. I am most impressed.
    I can afford anything that I want.
    Just so long as I don't want much.
    • LMCD
    • By LMCD 26th Aug 11, 1:01 PM
    • 602 Posts
    • 593 Thanks
    LMCD
    I have fitted mirrored wardrobes in bedroom after a stand alone and then got an additional cupboard in another room which was an ikea PAX - both are excellent. Depends on the offers - I got the fitted wardrobe at a great price in sale and what they wanted for a much smaller room it was rediculous... so ikea PAX was an excellent option and sturdy and have recently dismantled it to erect it in another room and its been brilliant.
    • evoke
    • By evoke 26th Aug 11, 1:10 PM
    • 1,259 Posts
    • 778 Thanks
    evoke
    For those with PAX wardrobes, would you assemble these in the bedroom itself? The reason I ask is that i've got a winding staircase so it'll be very difficult to get a fully-assembled wardrobe upstairs.
    • harz99
    • By harz99 26th Aug 11, 1:11 PM
    • 2,492 Posts
    • 2,439 Thanks
    harz99
    We went the standalone route and spent about £900 on 2 wardrobes, 2 x 4 drawer chests and 2 x bedside cabinets from pinesolutions (oxbury pre-built range). If we move they can be taken with us.

If you go with fitted then you need to be sure of the location...you can't then decide 6 months down the line to rearrange the room!
    Originally posted by andrew-b
    Very much like Andrew above. We went (on line) to Furniture Nation of Willenhall who will either supply stock items/sizes or made to measure. They will deliver and assemble in your rooms as well.
  • young at heart
    Be very careful that fitted wardrobes not on outside wall - they get damp inside.
  • young at heart
    Be very careful fitted wardrobes not on external wall as they get damp inside if no backing and wall gets damp behind backing if fitted. Always use internal walls only.
    • ic
    • By ic 26th Aug 11, 1:38 PM
    • 2,514 Posts
    • 1,293 Thanks
    ic
    For those with PAX wardrobes, would you assemble these in the bedroom itself? The reason I ask is that i've got a winding staircase so it'll be very difficult to get a fully-assembled wardrobe upstairs.
    Originally posted by evoke
    Yes, assemble them where you want them. If you have low ceilings, they may have to be assembled stood up (instructions show how to do this).
    • BennyC
    • By BennyC 26th Aug 11, 1:48 PM
    • 249 Posts
    • 69 Thanks
    BennyC
    I'm not a big IKEA fan but I have IKEA PAX wardrobes, they are standalone but look like built in ones and are surprisingly really robust - I love them and they're great space savers.
    Originally posted by WhenIGrowUp...
    I'm getting some of these in October when I move in to my house

Total bargain and being so customisable is bonus.
    • touch*my*food*feel*myfork
    • By touch*my*food*feel*myfork 26th Aug 11, 1:55 PM
    • 1,318 Posts
    • 16,879 Thanks
    touch*my*food*feel*myfork
    Pros and cons of fully-fitted wardrobes (floor to ceiling ones) vs. standalone ones please.

I need to make a decision over the next few weeks on bedroom furniture.
    Originally posted by evoke

just wanted to thank you for you question, as we are considering the same options at the moment and have already looked at the ikea pax system, but the dimensions are not exact fits for our rooms so was considering the fitted variety.
    some good comments to help us along.
    2014 wins - £100 john lewis vouchers/frankie and benny breakfast/kitchen aid toaster @ £169/garden hand fork and spade/Years worth of Tyrrells/after eights/cheese/£500/Belvoir OClock win
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

253Posts Today

1,742Users online

Martin's Twitter