Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Appliances Online offering "lifetime warranty"
    • 25th Aug 11, 12:58 PM
    Appliances Online offering "lifetime warranty" 25th Aug 11 at 12:58 PM
    I bought a Bosch fridge freezer 12 months ago from Appliances Online, after my 2 year old Samsung broke down and couldn't be repaired.
    I've just received a call from Appliances Online offering a lifetime warranty for 1.38 a week, with no fixed/minimum term or contract. If the fridge-freezer breaks down from wear and tear, accidental damage etc. they pay for any engineer visits, parts or a new replacement if it can't be fixed immediately. The only thing that isn't covered is malicious damage or commercial use.

I don't normally go for extended warranties, but this seems like a good deal. The fridge cost 400 so if it needed to be replaced within 5.5 years I would have 'saved' money (assuming a new equivalent fridge if around 400).

I'm reasonably good at saving so I don't necessarily need the protection from a large outlay that it offers, I just can't decide if it is good value for money.

As I said above, my last fridge freezer only lasted 2 years (just out of warranty) so I switched away from Samsung to Bosch as they appear to be more reliable.

Any thoughts?
Page 2
    • macman
    • By macman 19th Nov 12, 1:25 PM
    • 40,038 Posts
    • 16,203 Thanks
    If you want to waste 66.04 a year, then go ahead,
    Ever wondered why such insurance scams are always quoted based on the weekly amount? Because then it seems like small change only.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
    • qbazdz
    • By qbazdz 19th Nov 12, 2:20 PM
    • 133 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    True, I never take any of these, but just wondered if anyone had problems or good experiences with this 'warranty'.
    • BertieUK
    • By BertieUK 19th Nov 12, 4:04 PM
    • 1,610 Posts
    • 3,701 Thanks
    AO is in my view are a very worthy company to purchase from, we have bought many white goods from them with no worries, and their value for money is never in question.

I would say that they can offer these good deals because it could be said that the prices that they sell to the customer, are being subsidised by people who take out these extended warranties.

If you payed that amount over 7 years that would amount to just around 500.

• BertieUK
    • By BertieUK 19th Nov 12, 4:49 PM
    • 1,610 Posts
    • 3,701 Thanks
    If you want to waste 66.04 a year, then go ahead,
    Ever wondered why such insurance scams are always quoted based on the weekly amount? Because then it seems like small change only.
    Originally posted by macman
    As you say, peace of mind forever for as little as 20p per day.

• artbaron
    I just bought from them, with a future delivery so I can't yet comment on service, and got one of these phone calls earlier. I found it to be very devious and I can imagine that someone can be lulled into taking out insurance without knowing. Indeed, I almost gave them my card details as it was early morning (for me) and I wasn't fully with it.

After talking about the product and my order, and the delivery booking, the woman then talked about a lifetime replacement guarantee. All through this spiel she never mentioned any cost (phrases such as "all our products come with...") so obviously I thought this was too good to be true. The price, which she only mentioned right at the end as she was (she believed) closing the deal, turned out to be about 6 per month. She didn't ask whether I wanted to take it up so I just acknowledged that I'd heard what she'd said. She then asked to "confirm" my bank details, making it sound like she'd finished talking about the guarantee and was referring to the order and asking for these details as some sort of security check. When I became suspicious and asked for clarification I was told it was for the monthly payment. I explained I hadn't consented to any agreement to which I was told no problem, DD would not start for a month and I could cancel at any point if I decided not to go ahead.

Needless to say I didn't give my bank details or take up the offer, not just because it represented poor value for money when manufacturer's guarantee and SOGA rights are taken into account, but also because of the underhand selling method.
    • welshcookie1966
    • By welshcookie1966 11th Jan 13, 6:26 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    I agree with everything that has been said, I absolutely would recommend Appliances Online, I just ordered over 1,370 worth of kitchen appliances and I cannot fault their prices or customer service but I also received one of these 'checking on your order=selling you protection policy' phone calls...I also had to make a point of asking if by allowing them to send me the 'details' i was actually agreeing to this. It is a shame that companies haven't learned anything from PPI, luckily my payments would have ended up as over 20pm and I would have noticed that, but 5/6 pounds a month? probably not.
    • Malcnascar
    • By Malcnascar 11th Jan 13, 7:28 PM
    • 1,020 Posts
    • 1,124 Thanks
    When I bought from them I was also called. I expressed concern that I had perhaps made a mistake with the purchase and is it too late to cancel the order. This catches them off guard. I go on to explain that if the item is so unreliable that it needs to have such cover them perhaps I should look for an alternative elsewhere. They clearly have to defend the quality of the product so as not to lose the sale, enough said thanks for wasting my time mate.
    • d000hg
    • By d000hg 1st Oct 14, 11:34 AM
    • 62 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    a lifetime warranty from a large well known name such as bosch might mean summat.

a lifetime warranty from a no name online company set up last month means nowt.
    Originally posted by ormus
    AO isn't a no-name company. They are massive - didn't they buy out one of the main highstreet retailers?

I was offered this too and am a bit dubious. A lifetime new-for-old guarantee is interesting, if it really means you will literally never have to buy another washer (in our case). We just bought a nice Samsung for 600 and at 1.50/week that's 400 weeks or just about 8 years before we pay the same again. Which is probably about what we might hope it to last for... so on balance it's slightly more expensive (obviously, it's just insurance and they make a profit) but you remove your personal risk.

Given that we chose the Samsung specifically as it comes with a 5-year manufacturer's warranty (and a 10 year warranty on the motor), unlike most which come with 2, it's probably not worth it.

I'd advise others to exercise good financial sense and set aside the 2/week yourself as part of your budget.
    • kwatt
    • By kwatt 1st Oct 14, 11:48 AM
    • 695 Posts
    • 369 Thanks
    Do you really think that on even a 600 washing machine that they make maybe 50-100 on at best that they will seriously offer you a lifetime of free washing machines or anything else for that matter?

Methinks you might be served well by carefully reading the T&Cs as I'd bet it isn't what you think it is.

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. Its what you know for sure that just ain't so." Mark Twain
  • growingirl
    i have been offered this on a tumble dryer at 2.99 per month, i see it as the tumble dryer cost 180, so if my tumble dryer lasts less than 5 years i win, if it lasts longer then i will be out of pocket, but will not have the expense of a new machine? seems like a resonable deal to me. but i will obvs check the small print.
    • tired dad
    • By tired dad 8th Oct 14, 3:09 PM
    • 471 Posts
    • 153 Thanks
    tired dad
    Great company. Just had a freezer delivered in no time from ordering. Declined the insurance as I dont see the point of insuring something that costs less that 4 trips to the petrol pump.
  • wobblie extended warranty
    Ok, so I should have gone with my gut reaction and declined to agree to the extended warranty when I received a phone call following my purchases with but I was caught on the hop in an awkward situation and as I was told I could cancel it at anytime I thought I will just cancel it later. Now I have decided to cancel it I'm not sure how to do this as I have not received anything about the policy yet. I assume that once my items have been delivered next week I should get something through about the extended warranty and some sort of cancellation document. Does anyone know if this is the case or do I need to look out for the direct debit going out (which I will do anyway). I can't find any info on their website. I wish I had just gone with my gut!
    • theEnd
    • By theEnd 21st Oct 14, 11:47 AM
    • 706 Posts
    • 730 Thanks
    You should get something through once you have your items, then just cancel.

I made the same mistake and ended up paying a month before I realised it really wasn't a good deal.

All my stuff was guaranteed for 2 years anyway and the break even on these policies was a little over that.

Also, if you read the small print, even if they replace your stuff, you're liable for delivery and connection, which gives them the opportunity to charge whatever they want.

That said, highly, highly recommend AO. Very good service and I'll use again, even if everything randomly breaks in 2 years (which they won't).
  • wobblie
    Thanks theEnd, that's a big weight off my mind.
  • Rozzle
    Hi, I signed up for this and then quickly changed my mind. I just rang up the number that is on the conformation e-mail which was sent when I purchased my appliances and asked to cancel. It was really easy to cancel.
    • zzzt
    • By zzzt 9th Aug 16, 4:27 PM
    • 140 Posts
    • 124 Thanks
    I believe I have just been sold this - without knowing it! They are very devious.

I ordered some stuff online and then got a call a few hours later. I thought it was about the delivery, since he confirmed the day it would be on, and then he asked me to "confirm" the delivery address (I now realise that this was so he could use the address for a payment), and asked me questions about accessing the property.

He was extremely friendly and conversational, just talking about the things I'd ordered.

He asked me to confirm my sort code. I thought this was for my order, so I asked him which card I had bought it on because I couldn't remember. He said any of them was fine. He then wanted to know the account number. At this point I still thought he was confirming the actual purchase I had made online.

He then said that because I'd ordered from they will repair anything or replace it, and it will cost me 1.something, and that if I didn't want this to happen I could cancel at any time in the first month. At no point did he say he was selling me something extra, or mention the word "insurance" or "warranty". He made it sound like it was something I already had, and didn't ever ask me if I wanted it.

I guess I'll just cancel it as soon as I get the pack.

But I think this is very shady business dealings. I'm not surprised they're making a killing on it.
    • gentleorange
    • By gentleorange 14th Sep 16, 8:28 PM
    • 1,707 Posts
    • 29,120 Thanks
    As others have said, AO are generally a good company to deal with. But I've had "that" phone call both times I've bought something. The first time, the woman was so convincing that I didn't know I'd signed up for something else until she suddenly rattled off a long line of text and then cleared the line. So I had to cancel that.

This time I thought I was prepared... However the guy drew me in with a load of chat about the summer holiday, kids, etc, and then told me he'd throw in free disposal of my old cooker when they delivered the new one, and then once he'd asked for my sort code, he wouldn't drop it. He got very pushy and in the end he just wore me down so I gave him the details knowing that I'll call back and cancel. It's ridiculous! And honestly it may put me off using them again.
    • justapoorboy
    • By justapoorboy 10th Oct 16, 7:19 PM
    • 102 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    justapoorboy - extended warranty agreements
    Some of you may be interested in this short article, which altho old (Mar 2014) may shed some light and is still relevant.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,250Posts Today

4,554Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Thank you for all your kind wishes.Not sure now if it's a hamstring tear now. Feels like very bad cramp in the back of my thigh

• RT @MSE_Deals: Psssst! Sneak preview of tomorrow's email deals NOW... On @MartinSLewis's Facebook: (pls help us spo?

• He tried to refuse the fare and tip I refused to be refused and said he should tree should put it in a charity tin

• Follow Martin