Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    nathonjones
    Halifax Total Mortgage Protection Plan (TMPP) - Can I reclaim?
    • 23rd Aug 11, 2:47 PM
    Halifax Total Mortgage Protection Plan (TMPP) - Can I reclaim? 23rd Aug 11 at 2:47 PM
    Firstly, hello to everyone. Really hope I can get some advice on this. I'm sure you won't disappoint.

I took out a mortgage with Bank of Scotland / Halifax in 1998 and subsequently re-mortgaged with the Halifax in 2004.

Both mortgage accounts included a TMPP (Total Mortgage Protection Plan) which I believe covered me for illness, unemployment etc.

I remember clearly the mortgage advisor stating that I would be unlikely to be accepted for the mortgage without this cover, although I obviously have no proof of this.

What I wanted to ask is if I can make a claim for these monies back?
    Secondly, what is the process. I have some paperwork here, from the original agreements, but it's like Japanese to me, to be honest.

I really am unfamiliar with PPI's claims etc, so any advice that could be offered would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Regards
    Nath.
Page 4
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 2nd Dec 17, 2:54 PM
    • 89,899 Posts
    • 56,572 Thanks
    dunstonh
    my partner recollects that he thought they were pushing the policy .
    Yes. They operated a salesforce. So, they would be selling it. Sales pressure is allowed as long as it doesnt cross a line. The evidence is key in that sort of thing. If you complain within weeks of that sales event and have no evidence, then its still considered credible. Making that same allegation 24 years after the event carries no credibility at all.

Just a thought ..we have another property which could have been sold to cover any deficit ..would that be considered do you know ?
    Your scenario at point of sale is what matters. If you had another property in 1993 then you could mention it. However, do remember that 93 was the period of the last major house price crash. People didnt want to sell properties back then unless they had to. Also, a property is rarely considered to be a liquid asset (i.e. you cant pop into town and draw money from it to pay your mortgage). Plus, it carries its own risks if rented out if the person doesnt pay the rent. It doesnt prevent MPPI being suitable.

Bottom line in your case is that a sale of MPPI could still be suitable and justified and a decent file could support the sale and reject the complaint. However, Halifax do give in easily and they probably lack any detail on the sale and you may well get lucky. So, give it a go.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,478Posts Today

7,225Users online

Martin's Twitter