Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    nathonjones
    Halifax Total Mortgage Protection Plan (TMPP) - Can I reclaim?
    • 23rd Aug 11, 2:47 PM
    Halifax Total Mortgage Protection Plan (TMPP) - Can I reclaim? 23rd Aug 11 at 2:47 PM
    Firstly, hello to everyone. Really hope I can get some advice on this. I'm sure you won't disappoint.

I took out a mortgage with Bank of Scotland / Halifax in 1998 and subsequently re-mortgaged with the Halifax in 2004.

Both mortgage accounts included a TMPP (Total Mortgage Protection Plan) which I believe covered me for illness, unemployment etc.

I remember clearly the mortgage advisor stating that I would be unlikely to be accepted for the mortgage without this cover, although I obviously have no proof of this.

What I wanted to ask is if I can make a claim for these monies back?
    Secondly, what is the process. I have some paperwork here, from the original agreements, but it's like Japanese to me, to be honest.

I really am unfamiliar with PPI's claims etc, so any advice that could be offered would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Regards
    Nath.
Page 3
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 8th Jun 17, 7:05 PM
    • 89,566 Posts
    • 56,025 Thanks
    dunstonh
    The TMPPP is not just a PPI plan.That is just one segment of the things it can offer and in most cases, the TMPPP wouldnt have the MPPI segment. It could have only the life assurance or the CIC or a combination.

Just found this for self-employed people. And my husband was self-employed at that time, so should be straight forward claim according to the FCA. How come you mentioned Mortgage PPI covers self-employed? Or I am missing something?
    How does this affect the self-employed?
    The TMPPP MPPI segment covers the self employed. It is not on of the types of PPI that does not.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
    • hsddi
    • By hsddi 9th Jun 17, 6:30 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    hsddi
    Halifax TMPPI claim.
    I have a claim in with the Halifax at the moment, very similar to some of the posts I have read already. Myself and my wife have worked for the NHS since 1987, we were given the option of buying the flat that we lived in at the time or we had to get out, this was in 1995. Went to see a financial advisor, him seeing we were pretty desperate not to lose our home pushed the Halifax mortgage and the TMPP onto us making us believe that we had a better chance of getting the mortgage with taking out the TMPP. Not much was explained to us at the time, we didn't even know that there were elements of the policy that you did not need to take out e.g. ppi. We moved to our house in 2003, I remember phoning the Halifax to change address on the policy but apparently the policy changed then unknown to myself so two claims have had to be put in.
    My question is the policy is still running now with all elements attached, should I cancel the ppi element now or will Halifax cancel it if my claim is successful?
    Thank you for any advise.
    • Nearlyold
    • By Nearlyold 9th Jun 17, 7:00 PM
    • 972 Posts
    • 801 Thanks
    Nearlyold
    You can cancel the PPI element now if you want to. Halifax would definitely cancel the PPI in the event your complaint is successful. Does your TMPP still have the Life and CI element and are you wishing to continue with those?
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 9th Jun 17, 7:33 PM
    • 89,566 Posts
    • 56,025 Thanks
    dunstonh
    Went to see a financial advisor, him seeing we were pretty desperate not to lose our home pushed the Halifax mortgage and the TMPP onto us making us believe that we had a better chance of getting the mortgage with taking out the TMPP.
    Do you have any evidence of that?

Not much was explained to us at the time, we didn't even know that there were elements of the policy that you did not need to take out e.g. ppi.
    In 1995, Halifax were issuing illustrations with the list of benefits and the premiums and these included the risk warnings.

My question is the policy is still running now with all elements attached, should I cancel the ppi element now or will Halifax cancel it if my claim is successful?
    What segments of the TMPPP did you have?
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
    • sim11
    • By sim11 12th Jun 17, 2:37 PM
    • 609 Posts
    • 1,398 Thanks
    sim11
    I have the Halifax policy. I claimed for the carers part. Which pays out for 12 months only. I am still paying the same amount years later. But I am still caring and have not returned to work. Would I be able to make a claim, because I am paying for a policy I cannot claim on?
    • linaraman
    • By linaraman 29th Jun 17, 12:12 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    linaraman
    So, an update. Claim questionnaire downloaded from Halifax website and completed in full outlining facts.

1.Policy was miss-old because, firstly it wasn't presented to me as a choice but rather compulsory product I had to take.

2.The policy didn't get cancelled in time, when my property was re-mortgaged to Santander in 2005, which I believe has been designed to mislead and trick the customer, so that monthly premiums could be collected without customer being aware of policy's existence.
    3.Policy should have been on a decreasing basis and it wasn't.
    Fingers crossed!!
    Last edited by linaraman; 29-06-2017 at 12:51 PM.
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 29th Jun 17, 12:45 PM
    • 89,566 Posts
    • 56,025 Thanks
    dunstonh
    1.Policy was miss-old because, firstly it wasn't presented to me as a choice but rather compulsory product I had to take.
    Not a valid complaint reason on an advised sale. The adviser is required to do the filtering down to the recommednation for you. Not you doing it. Halifax are tied agents. So, they only had this product. So, no filtering is required.

So, that point will not succeed.

2.The policy didn't get cancelled in time, when my property was re-mortgaged to Santander in 2005, which I believe has been designed to mislead and trick the customer, so that monthly premiums could be collected without customer being aware of policy's existence.
    Many people continue their existing plans when moving from one lender to another. Indeed, it is seen as best advice unless there is any reason why it is unsuitable. So, that is not a valid complaint reason.

3.Policy should have been on a decreasing basis and it wasn't.
    If your mortgage was a capital & repayment mortgage then it should have been decreasing term assurance. However, the cost difference between the two is often a few pence. Also, when you are young (in your 20s) it is quite common to be hit with minimum premium rather than the sum assured. So, in those cases, switching to level term assurance is usually down to maximum the payout vs the minimum premium being paid.

Basically, apart from point 3, you dont appear to have a valid complaint reason for your life assurance being mis-sold.
    • linaraman
    • By linaraman 29th Jun 17, 12:56 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    linaraman
    Obviously, my reply to them was much wider and more explanatory, so I shall see what will be the outcome. I shall let you know of the decision as soon as I hear from them.
    • linaraman
    • By linaraman 29th Jun 17, 12:58 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    linaraman
    I have the Halifax policy. I claimed for the carers part. Which pays out for 12 months only. I am still paying the same amount years later. But I am still caring and have not returned to work. Would I be able to make a claim, because I am paying for a policy I cannot claim on?
    Originally posted by sim11
    If you even think you have a slim chance of winning - do it.! Sometimes they just process a refund without fully investigating. My sister has had an automatic refund and she has never complained or claimed. The cheque was posted to her home address for just under £5k. So, even if they refuse to refund and you think you have a valid point, take it to the ombudsman for their review. Like this you will now you have done it all in order to get a refund. Good luck!!
    • linaraman
    • By linaraman 29th Jun 17, 1:26 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    linaraman
    Not a valid complaint reason on an advised sale. The adviser is required to do the filtering down to the recommednation for you. Not you doing it. Halifax are tied agents. So, they only had this product. So, no filtering is required.

So, that point will not succeed.

Many people continue their existing plans when moving from one lender to another. Indeed, it is seen as best advice unless there is any reason why it is unsuitable. So, that is not a valid complaint reason.

If your mortgage was a capital & repayment mortgage then it should have been decreasing term assurance. However, the cost difference between the two is often a few pence. Also, when you are young (in your 20s) it is quite common to be hit with minimum premium rather than the sum assured. So, in those cases, switching to level term assurance is usually down to maximum the payout vs the minimum premium being paid.

Basically, apart from point 3, you dont appear to have a valid complaint reason for your life assurance being mis-sold.
    Originally posted by dunstonh

Yes, our mortgage was on capital & repayment basis, but both Life cover and Critical illness cover were provided on a level term basis when a decreasing term was more appropriate. The amount of cover should have come down as the amount outstanding on the mortgage reduced.
    Also, the Life cover benefit and Critical cover benefit amount was set at the default sum of £100,000 when our mortgage was only for £88,000. Because of this fact our TMPP monthly premiums were higher than could have been.
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 29th Jun 17, 2:31 PM
    • 89,566 Posts
    • 56,025 Thanks
    dunstonh
    Yes, our mortgage was on capital & repayment basis, but both Life cover and Critical illness cover were provided on a level term basis when a decreasing term was more appropriate.
    OK. Lets say they decide to uphold that reason. Thats a few pence on the premium.

Also, the Life cover benefit and Critical cover benefit amount was set at the default sum of £100,000 when our mortgage was only for £88,000.
    Which now makes more sense about it being a level term than decreasing term. So, less likely to be a mis-sale.

At the end of the day, Halifax should be able to defend that case very easily. However, they are also known to be a pushover and very scattergun in their responses.
    • jeanettep
    • By jeanettep 16th Sep 17, 5:16 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    jeanettep
    Halifax tmpp
    HI, I applied for tmpp refund in similar circumstances to yours, they have sent a cheque for partial refund, pretty quickly i might add, but said only the mortgage repayment cover was applicable, the life cover and critical illness did not apply for refund. Did you just get these refunded also?
    thanks, jeanette
    Its tempting to bank the cheque but not if im being underpaid!
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 16th Sep 17, 5:45 PM
    • 89,566 Posts
    • 56,025 Thanks
    dunstonh
    HI, I applied for tmpp refund in similar circumstances to yours, they have sent a cheque for partial refund, pretty quickly i might add, but said only the mortgage repayment cover was applicable, the life cover and critical illness did not apply for refund. Did you just get these refunded also?
    thanks, jeanette
    Its tempting to bank the cheque but not if im being underpaid!
    Originally posted by jeanettep
    Life assurance and critical illness cover are not PPI. So, if you put in a PPI complaint, you would not be refunded on a successful complaint for the non-PPI items.
    • Vicjayhay21
    • By Vicjayhay21 26th Sep 17, 9:29 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Vicjayhay21
    I have been reading about prevail claims on PPI policies. Can you make a claim for an existing policy?
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 26th Sep 17, 10:49 PM
    • 89,566 Posts
    • 56,025 Thanks
    dunstonh
    I have been reading about prevail claims on PPI policies. Can you make a claim for an existing policy?
    Originally posted by Vicjayhay21
    What is prevail?
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 26th Sep 17, 11:04 PM
    • 18,732 Posts
    • 9,984 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    What is prevail?
    Originally posted by dunstonh
    "Previous" I assume ('phone autocorrect).
    • Nearlyold
    • By Nearlyold 27th Sep 17, 7:51 AM
    • 972 Posts
    • 801 Thanks
    Nearlyold
    Originally posted by Vicjayhay21
    What is prevail?
    Plevin was my guess?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,139Posts Today

7,359Users online

Martin's Twitter