Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Energy > Prepayment meters with no standing charge (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Prepayment meters with no standing charge
Closed Thread
Views: 4,276
# 1
willowgirl
Old 22-08-2011, 4:20 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Prepayment meters with no standing charge

I may be making some changes to my life and I'm considering switching over to a pre-payment meter for my electricity.

What I'd like is a prepayment meter with no standing charge, such that if I don't use any electricity I don't have to pay for any. Are there companies out there that offer this? How can I find the best one?

Lastly will I have to pay to have the prepayment meter fitted and how much is that likely to cost?

Thankyou!
# 2
Kev27
Old 22-08-2011, 5:23 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Ebico offer it!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kev27 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
willowgirl
Old 22-08-2011, 6:56 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev27 View Post
Ebico offer it!
A big thankyou Kev!

I looked at their website and they look very interesting!
I will DEFINITELY be considering them!
The Following User Says Thank You to willowgirl For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
DirtyDick
Old 22-08-2011, 7:25 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I've just been dealing with this, having take a lease on a place with a prepayment meter for electricity.

The ones I've looked at, Atlantic, SSE and Ebico don't have a standing charge and their cost is around 14.5p per kwh in my area. Otherwise the standing charge of about 15-20p per dim with a penny or so reduction in Kwh - I suppose it depends how much electricity you intend to use; II'm a low-medium user so a standing charge not in my interests.

Not sure whether they'd fit one for free, maybe more likely if they offer the most competitive rates, but if not meters often switched for 30-50.
The Following User Says Thank You to DirtyDick For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
t0rt0ise
Old 22-08-2011, 9:44 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

They usually fit the PPM for free but don't remove it for free. Although there are exceptions to the rule.
The Following User Says Thank You to t0rt0ise For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
Richie-from-the-Boro
Old 23-08-2011, 12:24 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by willowgirl View Post
I may be making some changes to my life and I'm considering switching over to a pre-payment meter for my electricity.

What I'd like is a prepayment meter with no standing charge, such that if I don't use any electricity I don't have to pay for any. Are there companies out there that offer this? How can I find the best one?

Lastly will I have to pay to have the prepayment meter fitted and how much is that likely to cost?

Thankyou!
NSC~no~NSC is snake oil

Price per unit = X kWh
Price standing charge = Y
Price no standing charge = Z

So Z = X & Y

The fact of the matter is everyone's average consumption per annum is the same whether or not they pay a ' standing charge ' you see the no daily service charge is applied to your energy charges.

Instead, you'll pay a higher rate for the first ???kWh used each quarter, then a lower rate for any other energy you use in that quarter ditto the ' key meter '

Others will correct me, but with NSC you need to consume an minuscule amount of something like 25 per quarter to benefit.

Free ' key meter '

Of course its free others will correct me, but its about 15% more expensive for the same consumption than the standard DD delivery, when you later find out its 15% more they will take your last remaining good eye out in charges to have it removed.

NOTE BG seem to be more willing to absorb the cost of replacing a ' key meter ' than others to earn you as a new customer.
The Following User Says Thank You to Richie-from-the-Boro For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
Premier
Old 23-08-2011, 10:06 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by willowgirl View Post

Thankyou!
As always, use a comparison site. If you click on the tariff, it'll show whether a standing charge applies or not

Costs for non-essential meter changing vary by company. Some will do this without charge, but others may typically charge about 50.
By changing to a PPM, you will lose the ability to access the better tariffs most suppliers offer, so this will result in higher costs ... but I also understand that you may wish a PPM for budgetting reasons and that may infact reduce your consumption resulting in a lower overall cost
"Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010

Last edited by Premier; 23-08-2011 at 10:11 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Premier For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
HappyMJ
Old 23-08-2011, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie-from-the-Boro View Post
NSC~no~NSC is snake oil

Price per unit = X kWh
Price standing charge = Y
Price no standing charge = Z

So Z = X & Y

The fact of the matter is everyone's average consumption per annum is the same whether or not they pay a ' standing charge ' you see the no daily service charge is applied to your energy charges.

Instead, you'll pay a higher rate for the first ???kWh used each quarter, then a lower rate for any other energy you use in that quarter ditto the ' key meter '

Others will correct me, but with NSC you need to consume an minuscule amount of something like 25 per quarter to benefit.

Free ' key meter '

Of course its free others will correct me, but its about 15% more expensive for the same consumption than the standard DD delivery, when you later find out its 15% more they will take your last remaining good eye out in charges to have it removed.

NOTE BG seem to be more willing to absorb the cost of replacing a ' key meter ' than others to earn you as a new customer.
Ok I'll correct you Ebico does not have a standing charge and they don't have tiered rates. They are awful for high users but for those very low users they are perfect. I use less than 25 of gas a year so it would be perfect for me.

Also, Ebico does not charge a premium for having a prepayment meter. For some customers a prepayment meter is helpful for budgeting so if they choose to have one over a credit meter and paying monthly by DD then that is their choice.
The Following User Says Thank You to HappyMJ For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
willowgirl
Old 23-08-2011, 11:00 AM
MoneySaving Convert

"Others will correct me, but with NSC you need to consume an minuscule amount of something like 25 per quarter to benefit."

I was actually thinking of a situation where there might be no use whatsoever.
Kind of a way of maintaining the supply without having to have it disconnected and to avoid any billing issues.

I understand it's very expensive to be reconnected after a disconnection period.

It's a good point tho because 25 is not a lot over 3 months!
# 10
Premier
Old 23-08-2011, 1:07 PM

Anyone who uses less than the tier 1 amount per quarter will benefit from being on the supplier's equivilent NSC tariff.

Whilst the tier 1 levels vary, yes it is about 25 of electricity or gas, but with standing charge/tier1 premium added, this is more like 45/qtr.

It's unlikley that a typical user would use less than this amount of electricity per quarter unless the property is left unoccupied for long periods (e.g. a second home), but can quite often be the case for gas users during the summer quarters.
"Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
Closed Thread