Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Essential Money > Savings & Investments > What passbook easy access savings accounts are th... (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
What passbook easy access savings accounts are there?
Closed Thread
Views: 2,421
# 1
Kirri
Old 20-08-2011, 11:53 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Default What passbook easy access savings accounts are there?

I don't want an internet based account (I recently opened and immediately closed the Santander ISA as I didn't realise all I would get is a bit of paper with an account number, not a book but not even a card!).

I don't want the hassle of having to keep shifting accounts after a year of interest rates dropping from their tempting opening amount so although interest rates are tempting, I just want something I will use year in year out, I'm not talking big savings so it's not so important anyway, maybe paying in a fiver or tenner here and there!

So, I just want a bog standard, easy access, standard high street account. I live in London so have access to all the usual high street banks.

I've found it hard to find sites to search by 'passbook', so has anyone come across any lately? Would have a card based account as well, as long as I can actually pay in any spare cash I have left via a branch.

Any recommendations?

Good customer service would be a plus.
# 2
EarthBoy
Old 21-08-2011, 1:10 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Most instant access passbook accounts pay very little interest, but if that's not a problem then you have several to choose from.

Halifax still do the Liquid Gold account, but you need 50 to open one:

http://www.halifax.co.uk/savings/acc...s/liquid-gold/

Nationwide CashBuilder is similar, with a choice of card or book, but you need 100 to open this one:

http://www.nationwide.co.uk/savings/...troduction.htm

Yorkshire Building Society have the Cash Transactor account, but they don't have many branches in the London area:

http://www.ybs.co.uk/savings/easy_ac...ransactor.html
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EarthBoy For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
alanq
Old 21-08-2011, 1:19 AM

Britannia EasySaver (withdrawals restricted to 12 days per year)
Chelsea BS Branch Instant
C&G Cheltenham Gold

Last edited by alanq; 21-08-2011 at 1:26 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to alanq For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
MoneySaverLog
Old 21-08-2011, 4:01 AM

As you say you'd accept a cash card then Lloyds TSB have a current account called vantage, you can save up to 5,000 in the account and can have a maximum of 3 accounts.

You get a card and cheque book with each account, and can access all the usual online payments etc.

The only draw back is you have to be able to cycle 1,000 through each vantage account every month, but you don't have to leave it there.

Then you'll get tiered rates of interest starting with a pound in the account. The rates will vary from 1.5% AER to 3% AER depending on the balance, but typically will be better than your bog standard passbook account.

As there is no bonus with the account the rates wont drop at the end of the year because of the bank pulling the bonus after 12 months. That's not not to say that interest rates may go up and down due to rate changes by the bank though.
The Following User Says Thank You to MoneySaverLog For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
Kirri
Old 21-08-2011, 9:43 AM

Brilliant, thanks for all the suggestions, I shall have a look at all of these this week

Additionally I would do a regular saver as long as they accept small/varied amounts per month, if that was branch based too, so any suggestions on those also appreciated. Also if there are any branch based ISA's (though even though I immediately shut my Santander ISA, not sure if I am eligible to open another in the same tax year??). Thanks again

Saving used to be so easy years ago but now it's all such a faff even finding a suitable account!

Last edited by Kirri; 21-08-2011 at 9:55 AM.
# 6
MoneySaverLog
Old 21-08-2011, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirri View Post
I would do a regular saver as long as they accept small/varied amounts per month, if that was branch based too, so any suggestions on those also appreciated.
Regular savers are the way to go when you've built up a nice pot of money, put it all into the highest interest savings account which allows standing orders to go out. Vantage would be good for this. Then divide your pot by 12 and drip feed it across into the higher paying regular saver every month.

It's all self funding then

There's a pretty good explanation of how this works here http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/sav...ounts#dripfeed
The Following User Says Thank You to MoneySaverLog For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
dwsjarcmcd
Old 21-08-2011, 11:16 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

The Yorkshire Building Society's Internet savings account comes with a cash card that you can withdraw money from any ATM and pays a 'decent' rate of interest with no short term bonus. The rate is about 2.1% from memory (or thereabouts)

Compared to branch based accounts paying 0.1 it's pretty decent. The account operates 'e-I.D' meaning that for many you don't even need to send any documents to prove who you are or your address
The Following User Says Thank You to dwsjarcmcd For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
alanq
Old 21-08-2011, 11:36 AM

I agree that this is an OK account with a reasonable and consistent rate but the OP stated "I don't want an internet based account" but a passbook account or a card account "as long as I can actually pay in any spare cash I have left via a branch." . One cannot make deposits to a YBS Internet Saver Account in branch nor via ATM.

Last edited by alanq; 21-08-2011 at 11:49 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to alanq For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
dwsjarcmcd
Old 21-08-2011, 4:35 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanq View Post
I agree that this is an OK account with a reasonable and consistent rate but the OP stated "I don't want an internet based account" but a passbook account or a card account "as long as I can actually pay in any spare cash I have left via a branch." . One cannot make deposits to a YBS Internet Saver Account in branch nor via ATM.
I accept that but was suggesting a 'hybrid' account. It has a card hence pointing it out. In addition you can pay money in with a debit card.

Just an alternative that would pay a higher rate of interest, is easy to manage and you get a card to withdraw actual cash.

Entirely up to the OP, as I say an alternative suggestion
The Following User Says Thank You to dwsjarcmcd For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
Sparky47
Old 21-08-2011, 5:56 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirri View Post
Also if there are any branch based ISA's (though even though I immediately shut my Santander ISA, not sure if I am eligible to open another in the same tax year??).
You can open another cash ISA this tax year provided you did not pay any money into the one you opened with Santander.
You can only contribute new money to one ISA in any one tax year.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sparky47 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
savetilibleed
Old 21-08-2011, 6:10 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

The Northern Rock Everyday Access account would seem to do the job, if you have a branch to hand.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to savetilibleed For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
Kirri
Old 22-08-2011, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by savetilibleed View Post
The Northern Rock Everyday Access account would seem to do the job, if you have a branch to hand.
I've not looked in detail at all the suggestions so far, am still checking the suggestions out but this one seems ideal for what I want and so far a better rate of interest than some of the others plus opens from 1 and nice to see one clearly stating branch and passbook! Looks like the Easy ISA Issue 2 may also fit the criteria. Shame there aren't a few more branches but there is one near my work at least.
# 13
Kirri
Old 22-08-2011, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky47 View Post
You can open another cash ISA this tax year provided you did not pay any money into the one you opened with Santander.
You can only contribute new money to one ISA in any one tax year.
That's good to know, and no I didn't pay any money into my Santander one, I was so shocked at the shoddy service, badly photocopied letters and nothing but that letter to pay in by, I immediately decided I wouldn't use it so shut it straight down. The online applications and info should make things a lot clearer what you will get!
Closed Thread