Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Naf
    • By Naf 16th Aug 11, 10:20 PM
    • 2,910Posts
    • 2,173Thanks
    Naf
    Timpson: Don't let them near your watch!
    • 16th Aug 11, 10:20 PM
    Timpson: Don't let them near your watch! 16th Aug 11 at 10:20 PM
    Caution: it's a biggie.
    I'm currently awaiting a response to my complaint re: THE THIRD TIME IT HAS BEEN TO THEIR SERVICE CENTRE; and I never wanted it sent in the first place.
    My watch battery died so I went looking around to get it replaced. Most of the jewellers I visited wanted to send it off, and charge me up to £50 for it. I knew there would be private places that'd do it faster, but before I could ask anyone I noticed Timpson's offer that you pay slightly more for one battery replacement and it's 'guaranteed for life' i.e. every time it runs out, you can get it replaced for free. The offer tempted me, against my better judgement (Timpson have always seemed a bit suspect and not quite fully professional to me) to go and have them replace my battery. The poster said 'while you wait' after all.
    The young man poked and prodded around inside the back of my watch for longer than I would have thought necessary, then asked me to come back 10 minutes later to collect it. There were a couple of customers waiting so I assumed this was why and finished my other business up town. When I collected the watch, one of the buttons (the most vital one no less; the crown for setting, adjusting and resetting the watch) was loose. I politely pointed it out to the assistant and he insisted there was no way it could possibly have been anything he'd done. Well it wasn't that way when I brought it in, so I pushed a little (he became quite argumentative) and eventually arranged for the watch to be sent to their service centre, who would fix it if the problem could have been caused by his poking around, then they'd fix it free of charge; otherwise I'd have to arrange and pay for a repair myself.
    Two weeks later I went back in to collect my repaired watch; the button was absolutely fine; I had a new pressure test certificate, all seemed great. The watch is rated to 30m; the manufacturer defines it as 'skin diving'; explained as anything without needing a wetsuit and scuba gear. I do nothing like this, hardly even swim, so bathing the kids and doing the dishes seems reasonable, yes? Think again. Just a few days later I woke up to discover the inside of the glass was steamed up. Into the other branch I went (not prepared to put up with another argument from the same assistant) and they sent it off again. After calling the service centre for me, they discovered there was a backlog of around 3 weeks, and they weren't prepared to give my watch any priority. Thoroughly annoyed at this, I followed up with an e-mail to their customer services who immediately bumped my watch up the list; and after some discussion I ensured that they would be checking it all over, particularly in light of the water leak, and guaranteeing it.
    Around a week later (the 1st July) I collected my watch once again, all seemed well, I had no issues with it steaming up etc. Great!
    NO!
    10th August; my 26th birthday no less (and the watch's 8th), baking a cake I set the countdown timer function for 35 minutes. Good job I noticed the wall clock 40mins later as the watch hadn't made a sound. After making sure the cake was OK and onto the cooling rack (priorities, obviously) I tried again, setting for 1min and watching for the finish; no beep. I tried the alarm function, again for 1 min in the future; no beep. Stopwatch; start, stop, reset... no beeps! Livid, I traipsed back to the store; the moment the assistant took the back off, there was the ceramic speaker; obviously corroded even to my eyes.
    So now they have it again; and once again I've emailed to follow it up. I sent the email over the weekend, so my minimum service expectation was at least a reply on Monday, some kind of acknowledgement; nope. I received, mid afternoon on Tuesday:

Thank you for your email

We will be back to you in due course

Customer Care Team
    by Timpson

I responded that 'due course' meant nothing, asking if my email had actually been read yet.

Dear Mr Young
    I am looking into your complaint at the moment and will come back to you this afternoon.

Regards
    by Timpson

"This afternoon"... well I'd received nothing when I replied at 7pm, and still nothing (obviously) now I'm writing this at 10.

My suggestion, just don't even set foot through their door, its not worth it. Doubt I'll even go back for a key cutting.

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    - Mark Twain
    Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon: no matter how good you are at chess, its just going to knock over the pieces and strut around like its victorious.
Page 3
    • grumpypiker
    • By grumpypiker 6th Jun 16, 11:25 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    grumpypiker
    I took my wifes watch into timsons, never again, it needed a new strap that's all, he told me the winder knob was broke, I don't think so but cannot prove this, he said three weeks, ok, three weeks went by and in I went again, oh sorry forgot to order the strap, it will be another three weeks, three more weeks and he told me another twelve weeks, I felt like telling him to shove it where the sun don't shine but the watch cost over £400 so we will see what the come up with next.
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 6th Jun 16, 11:32 PM
    • 27,750 Posts
    • 17,524 Thanks
    DCFC79
    I took my wifes watch into timsons, never again, it needed a new strap that's all, he told me the winder knob was broke, I don't think so but cannot prove this, he said three weeks, ok, three weeks went by and in I went again, oh sorry forgot to order the strap, it will be another three weeks, three more weeks and he told me another twelve weeks, I felt like telling him to shove it where the sun don't shine but the watch cost over £400 so we will see what the come up with next.
    Originally posted by grumpypiker
    Have you thought of writing to Timpsons ?

Why did you not go to a local watch repairer eg 1 in a market or replace the strap yourself.
    Je Suis Charlie
    • grayme-m
    • By grayme-m 9th Jun 16, 10:14 PM
    • 1,316 Posts
    • 782 Thanks
    grayme-m
    FWIW, the wife purchased a lifetime battery for her watch and has been quite happy with the service.
    Toyota - 'Always a better way', avoid buying Toyota.
    • pappa golf
    • By pappa golf 10th Jun 16, 2:30 AM
    • 5,362 Posts
    • 4,894 Thanks
    pappa golf
    FWIW, the wife purchased a lifetime battery for her watch and has been quite happy with the service.
    Originally posted by grayme-m

life time watch batteries are only available for the over 90 s at timpsons
    Have YOU had to walk 500 miles?
    Were you advised to walk 500 more?
    You could be entitled to compensation.
    Call the Pro Claimers NOW.
    • paranoidandroid
    • By paranoidandroid 6th Oct 16, 10:06 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    paranoidandroid
    I've just had a first class watch repair service from Timpsons!
    I had a very nice 25-year-old Citizen all-titanium quartz chronograph dress watch with day, 2x alarms, 24-hour dial with stopwatch & timer complications that had failed completely. One of the tiny hands had dropped off and all four buttons were impossible to depress. As it has some sentimental value for me I contacted Citizen who stated that the movement was obsolete and they couldn't repair it.

So I thought if Citizen cannot repair it no one can, until a friend mentioned, to my surprise, Timpsons. Having nothing to lose, I entrusted it to the Timpsons booth at my local Tesco store despite the many disasterous comments made about Timpsons watch services mentioned in this forum.
    The Timpsons staff sent it off on the understanding that they may not be able to overhaul it; but 3 days later I was called to say they could repair the watch but due to the complications it would be £30 more and take a bit longer.

Three weeks later (a few days ago) I picked up the watch and:
    * All buttons work.
    * All complications function.
    * It's keeping excellent time.
    * It looks like new (though it's no longer driven by a Citizen movement).
    And comes with a year's guarantee!

The service I've just received from Timpsons has been first class and I am absolutely delighted.

I very rarely add messages to forums but, as I was very nearly put off Timpsons by some of the messages here, I feel compelled to mention the high quality service I've enjoyed and I trust future prospective users receive the same.
    • Joe Horner
    • By Joe Horner 9th Oct 16, 8:37 PM
    • 3,660 Posts
    • 3,031 Thanks
    Joe Horner
    Glad you got good service from them on that one. It's one of the problems with many of the maker's workshops that, if they can't guarantee that ALL possible parts will be available before starting they don't take the job on.

In your case, refitting the hand is really minor (could have been done while you wait in most indies) and the pusher problem will have been dirt compacted under the pusher heads - it's inevitable over time. Strip he pushers (one circlip on each), clean, and reassemble with new seals and they're good as new
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

145Posts Today

3,350Users online

Martin's Twitter