Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jpsid
    • By jpsid 16th Aug 11, 7:38 PM
    • 84Posts
    • 7Thanks
    jpsid
    Arena Kitchens/Alaris - Recommended or not?
    • 16th Aug 11, 7:38 PM
    Arena Kitchens/Alaris - Recommended or not? 16th Aug 11 at 7:38 PM
    We are waiting for a quote from these guys http://www.arena-kitchens.co.uk/ for a Mereway kitchen we've seen in John Lewis. Would really like to find out if anyone has used them lately and if so would you recommend them? Thanks.
    Last edited by jpsid; 16-08-2011 at 7:48 PM.
Page 1
    • Trig1903
    • By Trig1903 17th Aug 11, 1:37 PM
    • 37 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    Trig1903
    • 17th Aug 11, 1:37 PM
    • 17th Aug 11, 1:37 PM
    Hi, was in their showroom the other week but we're waiting on a quote from an alternative supplier coming through. Would be interested to see how you get on as we may revisit depending on how option 1 turns out. I never imagined trying to choose a new kitchen could get so stressful. So many choices.

Thanks
    Trig
    • jpsid
    • By jpsid 17th Aug 11, 2:47 PM
    • 84 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    jpsid
    • 17th Aug 11, 2:47 PM
    • 17th Aug 11, 2:47 PM
    Thanks Trig - Yes, you are certainly right there - There is so much choice and making a decision is unbelievably difficult! Unfortunately we are in the south of the country so visiting the Alaris showroom isn't an option for us. Is the quote you are waiting on for the same kitchen range as Alaris sell?

I know Alaris have been around for years - We purchased two walk-in showers from them six years ago with no trouble at all. A kitchen, though, amounting to thousands of pounds is a different matter. From the few online reviews I have found they appear to have a very good design and delivery service and are highly recommended. I also found them on Facebook under Alaris Kitchens with positive feedback.
    • Trig1903
    • By Trig1903 17th Aug 11, 3:04 PM
    • 37 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    Trig1903
    • 17th Aug 11, 3:04 PM
    • 17th Aug 11, 3:04 PM
    Their showroom is about 500 yards form my work so I can take some pictures for you. It's a different manufacturer we're awaiting a quote on I'm afraid, RWK. There was one kitchen we hummed and hawed about in Alaris but it was also German as opposed to Mereway. The sales guys seemed helpful enough when I was in and answered all the (basic) technical type questions I had. We were just really sold on the RWK kitchen although are now having second thoughts over door choice.
    • jpsid
    • By jpsid 17th Aug 11, 7:22 PM
    • 84 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    jpsid
    • 17th Aug 11, 7:22 PM
    • 17th Aug 11, 7:22 PM
    That's really kind of you Trig, thank you. How large is their showroom and do you recall them having many displays? We are looking for a contemporary style kitchen in either a gloss walnut, wenge or dark oak with may be a splash of gloss cream units too. Perhaps if you return you wouldn't mind taking a few snaps. What kind of kitchen are you looking at? You mention a German kitchen - Was it a Pronorm one - They certainly look nice on their website!
    • Trig1903
    • By Trig1903 17th Aug 11, 9:39 PM
    • 37 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    Trig1903
    • 17th Aug 11, 9:39 PM
    • 17th Aug 11, 9:39 PM
    Their showroom wasn't massive, have been in so many I'm struggling to recall which is which but I would have said a dozen kitchens maybe. It was a pronorm one we looked at, their gloss cubanit. I had never heard of cubanit before this kitchen search started but seems it's a grey/green/beige type colour which we really like. Our favourite so far is the RWK Casa cubanit which is the one we're getting a quote on.

I'm pretty stacked with meetings the next couple of days but will try to swing in past and take some pictures of any that seem to fit your criteria. Will shout once I've been. Worst case will be the weekend as we'll be passing by on our way in and out of Aberdeen anyway.
    • Trig1903
    • By Trig1903 19th Aug 11, 3:00 PM
    • 37 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    Trig1903
    • 19th Aug 11, 3:00 PM
    • 19th Aug 11, 3:00 PM
    Right have been in. Nothing on display that exactly fits your criteria but took a few photos of what they did have.

The closest was the Wentworth in Olive Wood gloss with some pergamon gloss (whiteish) cupboards. The salesman kindly held up his sample of the wenge gloss alongside it so you could see the difference in tone. It's quite a wee sample though.

I also took pictures of the Pronorm Walnut and Wentworth Bromley Walnut, neither of which are gloss though. That was it in terms of displays of Wenge/Walnut/Dark Oak although plenty more in their brochures I guess.

If you PM me an e-mail address I can send on the pictures. I'm no David Bailey mind and the lighting wasn't the best (ok that's an excuse).

Trig
  • KM2805
    • 3rd Aug 12, 10:14 AM
    Alaris kitchens and bathrooms - terrible, terrible workmanship
    • 3rd Aug 12, 10:14 AM
    Terrible, terrible workmanship, awful customer service. Alaris in Aberdeen fitted my mother’s kitchen and bathroom and made a terrible slap dash job. After finding that they had bodged fitting the washing machine, toilet and shower, it took several phone calls and letters to get them back out to try and fix their shoddy work. We also found that they had used pieces of scrap packaging and wood to fit and hold together their “quality kitchen & bathroom” units, which had also received a few knocks and scrapes whilst being installed. We are disgusted with Alaris’s terrible workmanship and awful customer service, and have been left with a number of faults which have required other trades people to fix – and at our own expense!

If you are thinking of buying a kitchen or bathroom from Alaris then I would highly recommend you reconsider. You have been warned!
  • Pololab
    • 25th Mar 13, 11:59 AM
    Alaris Kitchens
    • 25th Mar 13, 11:59 AM
    Wish I had done my research before using them! Definitely would not recommend this company.
  • warringtondave
    Alaris Kitchens
    We have recently had our new kitchen designed and supplied by John Murray and the team at Alaris Kitchens. First and mort important point is we cannot recommend them highly enough. From start to finish, the service was fantastic and second to none.
    I certainly had my doubts in the beginning about buying a kitchen off the internet, but let me tell everyone out there, things could not have been any better or easel.
    We got a Mereway Kitchen in the Cucina Collection, Segreto Pergamon Gloss range. It is available from John Lewis and we got it for at least half the price. We discussed what we wanted with john via email and telephone conversations and after a number of tweaks to the design (due to us changing our minds a few times based on the information provided by John) and then we put the order in.
    It arrived exactly when it was due to. When we came to fit it, a couple of panels were found to be damaged. I spoke to John at Alaris and replacements were provided free of charge. I had cause to ring Alaris for advice on fitting and adjustments and the fitters were very helpful.

All in all, we were very impressed with the service we received and could not fault it in any way. If you are worried about using these guys, don't be.
    Dave
  • eddtduck
    any more?
    Hiya
    I'm reviving this thread as we are considering getting a Mereway kitchen and looking at the options.

Anyone else used this supplier?

Thanks
  • angus007
    angus
    Had a Mereway kitchen fitted by Alaris very recently and had no problems. Very good design, good fitters and office staff. Sandy the installation manager made regular visits to check all going well. Would have no problems recommending them.
    • bigjoe
    • By bigjoe 14th Jan 15, 6:57 PM
    • 273 Posts
    • 1,930 Thanks
    bigjoe
    Any long time MSErs who have used Alaris and can give an honest opinion on them?

Please no more one post newbies who never post again giving rave reviews!
    • buyitall
    • By buyitall 15th May 15, 7:51 PM
    • 3,546 Posts
    • 18,209 Thanks
    buyitall
    Any long time MSErs who have used Alaris and can give an honest opinion on them?

Please no more one post newbies who never post again giving rave reviews!
    Originally posted by bigjoe
    BUMP! Does anyone have any experience of this company?
    • givemetea
    • By givemetea 19th Oct 16, 1:18 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    givemetea
    I recently bought a Pronorm kitchen from Alaris. Before delivery and installation, I would not have hesitated to give them the highest recommendation. While we prevaricated over our decision, John Murray was fabulously patient, friendly and competent. If everything had gone smoothly I might be giving them a great recommendation.
    HOWEVER, be warned that their 'after-sales' service is not nearly so good. Once they have your money, standards seem to drop significantly. We needed to order a couple of extra units (our error, not Alaris's). There have been numerous delays, difficulties trying to speak to the right people on the phone (or anyone at all - often the phone for 'after-sales' just rings repeatedly with no-one to answer), trouble with the worktop installation etc. It has been VERY frustrating and time-consuming.
    • westy23
    • By westy23 19th Oct 16, 10:40 PM
    • 184 Posts
    • 86 Thanks
    westy23
    Used a recommended Mereway premium partner to install a Mereway kitchen, abosolute rubbish install.
    Was left with 5 leaks,off cuts of plinth used as filler panels, worktops not fitted correctly and loose when you leant on them, very poor plastering and plinths just jammed under cabinets.
    Had a notch cut out of the end of a worktop so a cabinet door would close and many other faults.
    When I complained to Mereway about their recommendation they did apply some pressure but they still recommend this clown.
    Ray Harris of Harrison's kitchen Waltham Abbey.
    • Rolando Faley
    • By Rolando Faley 4th Dec 17, 3:33 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Rolando Faley
    I currently have no kitchen since Alaris started in October, the design and installation is shocking. I would run for the hills, this is not a pleasurable experience and their attitude towards customers is so poor it seems a legal route is the only option left. FYI we promoted them to another family member which resulted in them paying 2k compensation and very unhappy with the experience!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,533Posts Today

8,200Users online

Martin's Twitter