Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Igamogam
    • By Igamogam 16th Aug 11, 12:00 PM
    • 5,422Posts
    • 43,552Thanks
    Igamogam
    Have grasped the nettle..........now to deal with the ensuing rash. Part The Third !
    • 16th Aug 11, 12:00 PM
    Have grasped the nettle..........now to deal with the ensuing rash. Part The Third ! 16th Aug 11 at 12:00 PM
    Part 9 FFS! - when I question do I really need MSE anymore If you dont what to plough through the whole sorry tale just jump to post 1094

Part 8 - and now into 2015 with a bit more determination!

If you are dropping in here for the first time you could skip to post 914 which takes you to plans for 2015! I like to keep all my diary together rather than being a serial new diary starter! I am a slow burner and a bit of a procrastinator but 2014 was a good year for reducing the debt and I feel a bit more in control of things.......onwards and upwards

Part 7 - reassessment and re-evaluation - starts posts 798
    Which is what happens when you realise your debt hasn't decreased by much despite lots effort and your health is threatened.
    Part 6 begins on post 586!
    There can be found a list of goals for 2014!
    And now part 5..............
    My life revolves around an academic calendar so I always feel at this time of the year I get another bite at the cherry of New Year Resolutions.......lucky me So with that in mind I have been running things through my head again so skip through if you wish to last page to see where I got to

Part 4 - would you believe!
    As I am purist and like to keep al my thoughts in one place then I am just updating the first post of my rambling diary. Skip to the last page to avoid the being bored! I am not quite sure what happened to 2012...........I have stutterered and stumbled along with 'stuff 'getting in the way and stingers been thrown across my path. The last 3 months have been bl00dy hell - work related bl00dy hell. And yet despite it all the debt has gone down although not as much as I had hoped. New Year resolutions apart I am determined to make more of a dent in this debt thing this year - just need to get over its an odd numbered year and I dont like odd numbers - think its my only wierdy foible So jump forward to post 342 - I have jotted down a few ideas there on how I am going to tackle things in 2013 including colouring squares - oops another wierdy thing

Have grasped the nettle..........now to deal with the ensuing rash. Part The Third for the rest of 2012!!!!!!!!!

Head in the sand for too long so I am off again. If you are new then really you can skip to the last page unless you really want to read my burbles of the last 12 months or so....... Anyway here I am again and rather than start a shiny new thread and deny I was ever going to get myself sorted I thought I would just jump back on here,bring it up to date and hopefully start again without too many 'what ifs' and if onlys'! So jump to post 246 with me and lets get started again

Below is where I started 12 months ago or so and my New Year kick-start......if you are interested only!

I am going to kick-start my DFW diary again, rather than start a new one for 2012. I did have my LBM back in the summer and it was a bit of a slow low energy one – all which documented below if you really wanted to wade through it. I really did grasp the nettle - armfuls and I really did make inroads but as many on these forums say it’s a roller coaster ride; high and lows with accompanying enthusiasm. A couple of unexpected bills and a bit of a drawn out illness ( I don’t do poorly very well) floored me for a while so I took a back seat and decided to lurk and follow and post sometimes on others fascinating journeys, picking up tips and inspiration along the way. I can honestly say we haven’t ended the year any worse off…..well if I sat down and did the figures I would have a better picture. We have certainly curbed our spending a bit and cut back in some areas. I have got a clearer picture now of how I am going to tackle all this……………….

2012 I feel will be a strange year for me which I will expand on no doubt as I post more. I am more determined now, than I was back in August to, ‘deal with the rash’. Tomorrow I will post my plans, lists, lists of lists and hopes for the new year. I am happy to babble to myself but also happy to listen to others, so pop in if you want.

Just leaves me to say Blwyddyn Newydd Dda pawb. Happy New Year everybody. Here’s to 2012

BELOW IS WHERE I STARTED IN AUGUST 2011. Skip to post 96 for the 2012 start

Until yesterday I hadn’t had a LBM, more of a low energy dim glow type moment. It’s been there in the background, that I really needed to get a grip with the finances. Being in education this is a good time of year the ‘new year’ in September always feels like a second chance at resolutions
    So I found myself here. I joined a couple of ‘fun challenges’ just to keep me focussed and started reading other people stories. Lots seemed to start with a declutter and that is now well under way – the ‘purge’ has been quite energising I have to say and is a work in progress!
    Yesterday had been designated paperwork day and I knew this would be when it hit home just how bad it was. Sitting in the garden with the cats chasing butterflies I sifted through the paper,filed,recycled,shredded and finally reached for the calculator. That was when the 150w bulb switched on. On a gloriously warm day I was suddenly very cold and then felt strangely excited………very odd. Last night was not sleepless and this morning I began to worry that I wasn’t taking all this seriously enough. Now I feel quite calm. I am sure its because I have finally decided to deal with it. No looking back and slipping into bad habits. There are ways and means to get rid of the rash and I am determined to do it.
    I have decided that I will not be putting the figures on here. I will keep my own record and possibly write up the percentage my debt has reduced every now and then. However if you are interested here is a flavour: Including my mortgage, rounded up debt is £38000. Mortgage will be finished in 3 years and is a joint debt with my OH so I will not be including it in my DF efforts. The 150w moment? My CC debts are bigger than the outstanding mortgage that’s what made me shudder.
    Well, the opening page to my DFD; first step and I feel confident I will add to it when I can and I hope you will pop in now and then to see how things are going
    Last edited by Igamogam; 10-01-2016 at 1:33 PM. Reason: UPDATING FOR 2016
    Be the change you want to see -with apologies to Gandhi
    In gardens, beauty is a by-product. The main business is sex and death. ~Sam Llewelyn
    'On the internet no one knows you are a cat'
Page 68
    • NoOneAround
    • By NoOneAround 23rd Aug 17, 12:32 PM
    • 1,597 Posts
    • 7,652 Thanks
    NoOneAround
    Sorry to hear you have been under enforced immobility - hopefully it's better now? or at least you are a bit more mobile if you managed to do some jobs in the garden

Have always wanted to learn piano myself - what are you learning? Oh and sax too, but don't seem to have enough puff for that!

NOA
    x
    Feb2014 Total unsecured debt £72,520>>01/06/16 £68166>01/04/17 £66,996=7.62%PAID
    Mortgage Jan14=209,800 Jan15=£200,300 Jan17£180,700>OCT17 £173,200
    Health/Fitness Challenges Priority#1 Stay Fit and healthy - whatever it takes
    Wombling Free Cash May2016 £51
    • Igamogam
    • By Igamogam 24th Aug 17, 8:54 AM
    • 5,422 Posts
    • 43,552 Thanks
    Igamogam
    I am hobbling NOA - not great at doing nothing! It's on the mend but think it may take some time.......but f!t bit stats are looking a little better
    In gardens, beauty is a by-product. The main business is sex and death. ~Sam Llewelyn
    • brizzledfw
    • By brizzledfw 8th Sep 17, 3:44 PM
    • 7,156 Posts
    • 34,737 Thanks
    brizzledfw
    How's it going? Any improvement?

Hope alls well

xx
    MFiT-T4 Member No. 96 - 2022 is my MF goal
    Winter 17/18 Savings Rate Goal: 25% [October 30%]
    Declutter 200 items before 31.01.18 xx/200 ** LSDs Target 10 for Winter 0x/10 **AFDs xx/15 ** Sales Target '17 £750 £225 so far
    **NSDs Target 10 for Winter xx/10 Trying to be a Frugalista
    • NoOneAround
    • By NoOneAround 19th Sep 17, 2:22 PM
    • 1,597 Posts
    • 7,652 Thanks
    NoOneAround
    Hope all Ok Igamogam
    x
    Feb2014 Total unsecured debt £72,520>>01/06/16 £68166>01/04/17 £66,996=7.62%PAID
    • brizzledfw
    • By brizzledfw 23rd Sep 17, 9:23 AM
    • 7,156 Posts
    • 34,737 Thanks
    brizzledfw
    Same from me, hope it's all OK x
    Declutter 200 items before 31.01.18 xx/200 ** LSDs Target 10 for Winter 0x/10 **AFDs xx/15 ** Sales Target '17 £750 £225 so far
    • Igamogam
    • By Igamogam 28th Sep 17, 8:15 PM
    • 5,422 Posts
    • 43,552 Thanks
    Igamogam
    So log on for the first time in blimmin ages to find I have an 8 year anniversary badge............kinda reminds me I am no further on really Now that is sad.

Yes all is well Brizz and NOA and thanks for asking! - been MIA as RL is just getting in the way. Physical bits OK, well on the mend. Work is taking up ALL my time and head space taken up with trying not to be concerned about DD1 who has dumped her BF of 10 years but seems to be trying to make up for lost time.........in that she is embarking on what she should have done at 21, post degree or at 18 pre degree. She is old enough to make her own decisions but deep down I do wonder/worry..............

Anyway the Idiot in Charge has yet again not returned to work in September - third one running Not sure how they get away with it. So yours truly stepping in again holding the fort........this time though I am not keeping it ticking over. As a team we are making changes and moving forward in a way we have wanted to for some time. I am happy to take responsibility if the Idiot in Charge doesnt like it ...............I am on a countdown to freedom after all
    • brizzledfw
    • By brizzledfw 1st Oct 17, 9:52 AM
    • 7,156 Posts
    • 34,737 Thanks
    brizzledfw
    Sounding promising work wise. Well done on making the changes you want to see..

Re DD1... hope that resolves itself in a healthy way..

Have a good week...xx

PS. My LBM supposedly happened in 2003.. so let's simply consider ourselves as in good mutual company
    • NoOneAround
    • By NoOneAround 2nd Oct 17, 9:25 AM
    • 1,597 Posts
    • 7,652 Thanks
    NoOneAround
    Hi Igamogam Good that you can take control as a team to make things work for the better, can't see that she could argue against if you are all working together! Though going by what's gone before she probably will!

Sorry to hear about DD worries, that's a long time invested in a relationship. Hope it all works out soon. Its hard not to worry though.My DD is coming up to 2nd anniversary with her BF, this year they are apart doing different things, so it will be a good test!

Re 8 year MSE badge - you must a lot further forward as you also have a Mortgage free badge?! And you have a plan.....

NOA
    x
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,372Posts Today

7,882Users online

Martin's Twitter