Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Igamogam
    • By Igamogam 16th Aug 11, 12:00 PM
    • 5,357Posts
    • 41,145Thanks
    Igamogam
    Have grasped the nettle..........now to deal with the ensuing rash. Part The Third !
    • 16th Aug 11, 12:00 PM
    Have grasped the nettle..........now to deal with the ensuing rash. Part The Third ! 16th Aug 11 at 12:00 PM
    Part 9 FFS! - when I question do I really need MSE anymore If you dont what to plough through the whole sorry tale just jump to post 1094

Part 8 - and now into 2015 with a bit more determination!

If you are dropping in here for the first time you could skip to post 914 which takes you to plans for 2015! I like to keep all my diary together rather than being a serial new diary starter! I am a slow burner and a bit of a procrastinator but 2014 was a good year for reducing the debt and I feel a bit more in control of things.......onwards and upwards

Part 7 - reassessment and re-evaluation - starts posts 798
    Which is what happens when you realise your debt hasn't decreased by much despite lots effort and your health is threatened.
    Part 6 begins on post 586!
    There can be found a list of goals for 2014!
    And now part 5..............
    My life revolves around an academic calendar so I always feel at this time of the year I get another bite at the cherry of New Year Resolutions.......lucky me So with that in mind I have been running things through my head again so skip through if you wish to last page to see where I got to

Part 4 - would you believe!
    As I am purist and like to keep al my thoughts in one place then I am just updating the first post of my rambling diary. Skip to the last page to avoid the being bored! I am not quite sure what happened to 2012...........I have stutterered and stumbled along with 'stuff 'getting in the way and stingers been thrown across my path. The last 3 months have been bl00dy hell - work related bl00dy hell. And yet despite it all the debt has gone down although not as much as I had hoped. New Year resolutions apart I am determined to make more of a dent in this debt thing this year - just need to get over its an odd numbered year and I dont like odd numbers - think its my only wierdy foible So jump forward to post 342 - I have jotted down a few ideas there on how I am going to tackle things in 2013 including colouring squares - oops another wierdy thing

Have grasped the nettle..........now to deal with the ensuing rash. Part The Third for the rest of 2012!!!!!!!!!

Head in the sand for too long so I am off again. If you are new then really you can skip to the last page unless you really want to read my burbles of the last 12 months or so....... Anyway here I am again and rather than start a shiny new thread and deny I was ever going to get myself sorted I thought I would just jump back on here,bring it up to date and hopefully start again without too many 'what ifs' and if onlys'! So jump to post 246 with me and lets get started again

Below is where I started 12 months ago or so and my New Year kick-start......if you are interested only!

I am going to kick-start my DFW diary again, rather than start a new one for 2012. I did have my LBM back in the summer and it was a bit of a slow low energy one – all which documented below if you really wanted to wade through it. I really did grasp the nettle - armfuls and I really did make inroads but as many on these forums say it’s a roller coaster ride; high and lows with accompanying enthusiasm. A couple of unexpected bills and a bit of a drawn out illness ( I don’t do poorly very well) floored me for a while so I took a back seat and decided to lurk and follow and post sometimes on others fascinating journeys, picking up tips and inspiration along the way. I can honestly say we haven’t ended the year any worse off…..well if I sat down and did the figures I would have a better picture. We have certainly curbed our spending a bit and cut back in some areas. I have got a clearer picture now of how I am going to tackle all this……………….

2012 I feel will be a strange year for me which I will expand on no doubt as I post more. I am more determined now, than I was back in August to, ‘deal with the rash’. Tomorrow I will post my plans, lists, lists of lists and hopes for the new year. I am happy to babble to myself but also happy to listen to others, so pop in if you want.

Just leaves me to say Blwyddyn Newydd Dda pawb. Happy New Year everybody. Here’s to 2012

BELOW IS WHERE I STARTED IN AUGUST 2011. Skip to post 96 for the 2012 start

Until yesterday I hadn’t had a LBM, more of a low energy dim glow type moment. It’s been there in the background, that I really needed to get a grip with the finances. Being in education this is a good time of year the ‘new year’ in September always feels like a second chance at resolutions
    So I found myself here. I joined a couple of ‘fun challenges’ just to keep me focussed and started reading other people stories. Lots seemed to start with a declutter and that is now well under way – the ‘purge’ has been quite energising I have to say and is a work in progress!
    Yesterday had been designated paperwork day and I knew this would be when it hit home just how bad it was. Sitting in the garden with the cats chasing butterflies I sifted through the paper,filed,recycled,shredded and finally reached for the calculator. That was when the 150w bulb switched on. On a gloriously warm day I was suddenly very cold and then felt strangely excited………very odd. Last night was not sleepless and this morning I began to worry that I wasn’t taking all this seriously enough. Now I feel quite calm. I am sure its because I have finally decided to deal with it. No looking back and slipping into bad habits. There are ways and means to get rid of the rash and I am determined to do it.
    I have decided that I will not be putting the figures on here. I will keep my own record and possibly write up the percentage my debt has reduced every now and then. However if you are interested here is a flavour: Including my mortgage, rounded up debt is £38000. Mortgage will be finished in 3 years and is a joint debt with my OH so I will not be including it in my DF efforts. The 150w moment? My CC debts are bigger than the outstanding mortgage that’s what made me shudder.
    Well, the opening page to my DFD; first step and I feel confident I will add to it when I can and I hope you will pop in now and then to see how things are going
    Last edited by Igamogam; 10-01-2016 at 1:33 PM. Reason: UPDATING FOR 2016
    Be the change you want to see -with apologies to Gandhi
    In gardens, beauty is a by-product. The main business is sex and death. ~Sam Llewelyn
    'On the internet no one knows you are a cat'
Page 63
    • Igamogam
    • By Igamogam 9th Oct 16, 9:31 AM
    • 5,357 Posts
    • 41,145 Thanks
    Igamogam
    £1.25 away from a £20 pay out from Your S*y P*ys. You watch the surveys will dry up now or I will be kicked out as dont meet the criteria! You G*v surveys have slowed down a bit too now I am getting closer to the £50
    In gardens, beauty is a by-product. The main business is sex and death. ~Sam Llewelyn
    • brizzledfw
    • By brizzledfw 9th Oct 16, 10:10 AM
    • 6,278 Posts
    • 29,929 Thanks
    brizzledfw
    Happy belated anniversary Ig... I reckon I have just passed a 'supposed LBM' anniversary of around 13 years so I feel positively glued to these threads

And love the description of your garden...hope it's still lovely and sunny and not too much rain
    MFiT-T4 Member No. 96 - 2022 is my MF goal
    New debt: £10,000 0% ;
    Declutter 50 items before 31.12.16 xx/50 ** LSDs Target 10 for December xx/10 **AFDs xx/17
    **NSDs Target 6 for December xx/6
    • Igamogam
    • By Igamogam 11th Oct 16, 10:59 PM
    • 5,357 Posts
    • 41,145 Thanks
    Igamogam
    I have worked out I need 360 lots of £50 and that will clear the debt, overdraft and a couple of outstanding bills...........was doing the colouring of squares 1% a time but got bored with that so now the challenge is to attack by throwing £50 lumps of cash at it - that will include anything I make through sales/surveys/etc , over payments which I make everyday and the regular payments which are all above the minimum. Just a silly challenge for myself to keep me interested/motivated Will back date to 1.10.16.........
    • Igamogam
    • By Igamogam 13th Oct 16, 8:37 AM
    • 5,357 Posts
    • 41,145 Thanks
    Igamogam
    Y*ur S8y P*ys have paid out £20 - had a flurry of little surveys at the end which added up nicely Now working towards the next £20. Will do an add up soon to see how many £50 rocks I have collected so far this month. It will be towards end of weekend as between now and then I am busy busy busy...........

OH going away today for month on yet another 'trip of a lifetime' Although this time DD1 is going with him. I think he believes he is a cat and has more than one lifetime I have a few things to get straight which will take some time ( not least the debt) but I am building up to one of my own I hope........or something His last trip was a new kitchen and this time its a solid wood floor in LR oh and some other house bits he doesnt know about yet

Right busy few days starts now!
    • Igamogam
    • By Igamogam 21st Oct 16, 10:21 AM
    • 5,357 Posts
    • 41,145 Thanks
    Igamogam
    Right 10 days off work.............no excuses. I am pretty much home alone and apart form a hair appt a doc appt and taking a friend, who is recovering from an accident, out to lunch I am free and feel the best I have been for a long time............diagnosed 2 years ago with an autoimmune disorder which kinda strips you of your focus and energy.............have taken the treatment of it into my own hands as frankly the NHS is useless on this one and I am beginning to reap the benefits......no crashes and a clear head :0 Long may it last

So plans this week, without interruptions or feeling guilty I need to give something/someone my undivided attention are, a big house tidy up - let it slide these last 2 weeks as busy else where and life is just to short to fret about dust. Putting the garden to bed for the winter - greehouse still churning out tomatoes, aubergines,cucumbers and chillies but I think I will call time on them now. A good financial review - big spend coming up but its all saved for And the weather looks fab for the next few days
    • maddiemay
    • By maddiemay 21st Oct 16, 3:42 PM
    • 2,599 Posts
    • 21,897 Thanks
    maddiemay
    Enjoy your time off work. Having had a brief discussion re certain condition before I think that we may be both following the same treatment I feel privileged that I am able to do so, many who would benefit do not have the confidence to or the funds to afford it.
    • Bobarella
    • By Bobarella 21st Oct 16, 9:22 PM
    • 7,966 Posts
    • 51,192 Thanks
    Bobarella
    Have a good break Igamogam
    £800 to pay =70% repaid
    RR 2016 #2 December £0.17 2016-£55.16 2015- £84.20)
    Wombling Free 2016#5 £2,227.06 2015 £1027.20
    NST December
    PAYDBX #7 £1890.53/£2,700 (70%)
    • Igamogam
    • By Igamogam 22nd Oct 16, 1:34 PM
    • 5,357 Posts
    • 41,145 Thanks
    Igamogam
    Enjoy your time off work. Having had a brief discussion re certain condition before I think that we may be both following the same treatment I feel privileged that I am able to do so, many who would benefit do not have the confidence to or the funds to afford it.
    Originally posted by maddiemay
    And I just hope coming out of the EU wont put a stop to it all.......or at the very best make it ridiculously expensive
    • maddiemay
    • By maddiemay 22nd Oct 16, 1:58 PM
    • 2,599 Posts
    • 21,897 Thanks
    maddiemay
    And I just hope coming out of the EU wont put a stop to it all.......or at the very best make it ridiculously expensive
    Originally posted by Igamogam
    My thoughts exactly, does seem to have quite long use by dates, must check around on some of the threads elsewhere to see what dates people's latest deliveries are and try and keep a bit ahead of myself Wouldn't solve the problem, but might be useful if costs rise.
    • NoOneAround
    • By NoOneAround 18th Nov 16, 7:45 PM
    • 1,333 Posts
    • 6,414 Thanks
    NoOneAround
    Hello Igamogam,
    I've forgotten all the welsh I learnt in your back garden, so thought I'd drop in for a refresher!
    Am intrigued re: self managing/NHS issues - does that mean complementary/herbal route? My last appointment left a bit to be desired...

NOA
    x
    Feb2014 Total unsecured debt £72,520>>24/02/15 £71,730>> 17/02/16 £71073>>01/06/16 £68166>19/07/16 £68004=6.23%PAID
    Mortgage Jan14=209,800 Jan15=£200,300Jan16 £190,800 May16£187900
    Health/Fitness Challenges Priority#1 Stay Fit and healthy - whatever it takes
    Wombling Free Cash May2016 £51
    • Igamogam
    • By Igamogam 20th Nov 16, 11:38 AM
    • 5,357 Posts
    • 41,145 Thanks
    Igamogam
    Uuurgh. RL getting in the way The Idiot in Charge is unfortunately experiencing some serious RL domestic issues of their own so I am having to step into the breach , alongside doing my own job and no equivalent remuneration Future is not looking good either at the moment - cuts cuts and more cuts

Hello Igamogam,
    I've forgotten all the welsh I learnt in your back garden, so thought I'd drop in for a refresher!
    Am intrigued re: self managing/NHS issues - does that mean complementary/herbal route? My last appointment left a bit to be desired...

NOA
    x
    Originally posted by NoOneAround
    Bore da Noa

I spent a year researching my diagnosis - sounded something insignificant at the time but the more I read the more I realised just how misdiagnosed, poorly treated, misunderstood,serious and... err...life limiting this condition is. Also can be hereditary The 3 times a year treatment I was receiving was not going to cut it for me. I wanted my life back and it was slowly slipping away. It was not down to lifestyle,job,age but the NHS not treating as per their own guidelines So I persuaded my GP to up the treatment to 6 times a year and even that made little difference. I took a leap of faith and used the internet to get the info I needed. read lots of real life stories and started treating myself. I get what need The Big River here and abroad - the exact same stuff which I get from GP which costs the NHS about 69p per treatment........ so now I am in control and healing.........lots of people with this condition have damage beyond repair........I feel fortunate and can now see I am getting my life back. No complimentary/ herbal route just conventional treatment that if I lived in most other European countries I could buy like we buy paracetamol - which is a dangerous drug

Sorry used too many s But it just demonstrates how I felt when I was researching all this
    Last edited by Igamogam; 20-11-2016 at 2:19 PM.
    • Igamogam
    • By Igamogam 20th Nov 16, 11:44 AM
    • 5,357 Posts
    • 41,145 Thanks
    Igamogam
    Despite all the RL stuff I have been quietly cutting the debt, decluttering and not spending. Large house project done and paid for - saved for a year for it have taken my eye of the 0% transfers though and they will need some sorting out today, tomorrow.......next week !

Back in love with Eb*y - made about £200 last month
    Last edited by Igamogam; 25-11-2016 at 10:47 AM.
    • Bobarella
    • By Bobarella 20th Nov 16, 10:42 PM
    • 7,966 Posts
    • 51,192 Thanks
    Bobarella
    Well done on your ebaying.
    £800 to pay =70% repaid
    NST December
    • Igamogam
    • By Igamogam 25th Nov 16, 1:26 PM
    • 5,357 Posts
    • 41,145 Thanks
    Igamogam
    There are some buyers on Eb*y who need to get a life Some people want something for nothing and when they can't get their own way they are really unpleasant people. Of course Eb*y supports such eejits

Anyway undeterred I will keep going for now!

Going to get rid off stuff on z*per too this weekend☺
    • Igamogam
    • By Igamogam 26th Nov 16, 2:36 PM
    • 5,357 Posts
    • 41,145 Thanks
    Igamogam
    Fabulous day meteorologically. .........hard frost, blue skies, first proper covering of snow on mountains. Going to spend rest of day light in garden finishing the autumn tidy up. .......actually fingers might get frost bite before sun goes down!

Ebay sales nearing £400........will get over nasty buyer and list some more. Have used some of this money to buy new expensive winter jacket and some shoes for work 2 pairs and a couple of bags ( one for DD2).......all very much cheaper than on the 'high street....' rest of money will be put to good use
    • Bobarella
    • By Bobarella 27th Nov 16, 11:33 PM
    • 7,966 Posts
    • 51,192 Thanks
    Bobarella
    Wow I have made £200 on there this month and thought that was good.
    £800 to pay =70% repaid
    NST December
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,764Posts Today

6,413Users online

Martin's Twitter