Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Work & Benefits > Benefits & Tax Credits > Free Dental whilst claiming JSA (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Free Dental whilst claiming JSA
Closed Thread
Views: 3,159
# 1
RD001
Old 16-08-2011, 10:36 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Free Dental whilst claiming JSA

I hope someone can clear this up for me?

I started a treatment at my local Dentist in May and was made redundant in July. I am claiming income based JSA and have now had the treatment reminder for later in the week. The cost of treatment is 200 and I really can't afford it now. Can I get the remaining treatment free or do I need to cancel it?
# 2
maginot
Old 16-08-2011, 10:46 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

It would depend on the treatment, free dentistry with receipt of benefits only allow for essential work e.g. If you are in pain, and you will also only get cheaper materials used e.g. White filling compared to amalgam filling etc.
Not sure how it would work as you have already started treatment.
The Following User Says Thank You to maginot For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
nannytone
Old 16-08-2011, 10:56 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

thats untrue.
if you are on benefit, you are still entitled to regular check ups, regardless og being in pain.
based on the check up you will get treatment deemed necessary, rather than cosmetic.
that includes a white filling if it's in a front tooth.

to the OP ...
i know that if when a course of treatment starts, you are entitled to it free, then regardless of circumstances changing.....the treatment will be completed free.

i'm not sure how it works the other way around.
The Following User Says Thank You to nannytone For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
maginot
Old 16-08-2011, 11:07 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

What was untrue? I just stated essential work and used pain as one example. Check ups are essential, otherwise you wouldn't know you needed treatment!
Apologies if you misunderstood!
The Following User Says Thank You to maginot For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
RD001
Old 16-08-2011, 11:10 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Thanks for the quick replies. The work that I need is a retainer as the dentist has said that due to my heavy grinding of my teeth they will be beyond repair without it. Do you think this is classed as essential?
# 6
nannytone
Old 16-08-2011, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maginot View Post
What was untrue? I just stated essential work and used pain as one example. Check ups are essential, otherwise you wouldn't know you needed treatment!
Apologies if you misunderstood!
i did misunderstand. youre post gave me the impression that benefits claimants are only entitled to emergency treatment ie enough to get them free from pain.

OP ....you'd have to ask your dentist if the retainer is covered. when i was on benefit many years ago, my dentist did a complicated treatment for free that he said would have probably been unaffordable if i had needed to pay myself.....but it was on a front tooth, and i know that makes a difference.

( just to explain.... i had a crown on a front tooth and it snapped off at gum level........the dentist referred me for a complicated treatment that required the root being used to hold the new crown . the only other alternative was to lose the tooth. i'm just glad that i have a dentist that will do anything to save a tooth, especially as it was essentially cosmetic)
# 7
hardpowered
Old 16-08-2011, 4:49 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Hey,

If when you're asked to pay you're receiving JSA then you get it free. It's if you're exempt at the start OR during your treatment then you get it completely free. I would suggest visiting your dentists so you can explain that you're exempt so they can arrange it for you - then you won't have to pay for it if when you've finished your treatment you're off JSA.
The Following User Says Thank You to hardpowered For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
brook2jack
Old 16-08-2011, 5:20 PM

You will be exempt from all nhs charges including those for grinding appliances only if the JSA you are on is income based. Contributions based JSA does not entitle you to free treatment although you can send a hc1 form off to see if you qualify for help on the grounds of low income.
# 9
Nessi
Old 17-08-2011, 4:36 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I'm livid that contributions-based JSA doesn't allow you free dental. I've worked solidly for 28 years, paid my tax and my NI contributions but now that I have hit a rocky patch I get NO help whatsoever. I'm going to have to see if I can look into getting some sort of help on the ground of low income - for that read NO INCOME WHATSOEVER!!!
# 10
LisaB85
Old 17-08-2011, 4:45 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nessi View Post
I'm livid that contributions-based JSA doesn't allow you free dental. I've worked solidly for 28 years, paid my tax and my NI contributions but now that I have hit a rocky patch I get NO help whatsoever. I'm going to have to see if I can look into getting some sort of help on the ground of low income - for that read NO INCOME WHATSOEVER!!!
I know how you feel, I was supposed to have a 6 month check up today but I'm on conts Jsa which ends in Nov so will wait until then
# 11
atrixblue.-MFR-.
Old 17-08-2011, 5:18 PM

i'm quite lucky, i have CONT based IB but my partner claims IS (my money deducted from hers plus couple rate so she retains 43.00 a 2 week basis minus water rate) we both get free dental care via NHS exempt cards, my partner lost her tooth at her sister wedding 2 weeks ago when she bit into pork crackling and sheared her front tooth off at gum level, there are only two NHS accepted dentists in my area, and both have a 6 month waiting list to get on the register, luckily we had our names forward 7 months ago and today we recieved our appointments for administration to the surgery and check ups, OH called monday and gave her details of what had happened to her tooth sounds as if were going to have to pay unless its the final OPINION OF THE TREATING DENTIST its essential dental work thats needed to be carried out, our practace operates a system where by if you are NHS they will do the expensive work first that the NHS will pay for and the less expensive work left for you to pay to keep your costs down and can pay via deposits each week until the balance is paid off.
i know i make spelling mistakes and i prefer to just type and post and get on with life, i know there are people who prefer all the crossed T's and dotted I's but we cant have everything in life pur..fect. i have a condition i hate to spell it but i bet you can guess it.
Closed Thread