Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    2step786
    How can I sell my broken LCD tv?
    • 9th Aug 11, 12:47 PM
    How can I sell my broken LCD tv? 9th Aug 11 at 12:47 PM
    Hi guys,

First post so go easy on me and apologies if this is posted in the wrong place.

I have a 32" Sony TV which I bought around 2 years ago. Unfortunately there was a little accident in which the LCD screen has cracked internally and I am looking to find the most cost effective manner to sell my TV while getting some form of return.

Cosmetically, the TV is in pristine condition, minus the above fault. In other words, all other aspects of the TV is in "as new" condition.

I have considered options such as eBay and listings on Gumtree etc but do any of you have any other, perhaps better methods to achieve a swift sell while getting a decent return?

Thanks in advance guys and happy savings!
Page 1
    • spannerzone
    • By spannerzone 9th Aug 11, 1:06 PM
    • 1,484 Posts
    • 807 Thanks
    spannerzone
    • 9th Aug 11, 1:06 PM
    • 9th Aug 11, 1:06 PM
    I doubt you'll get much for it as LCD replacement panels cost as much as the TV itself in most cases so unless someone has a working LCD that is suitable to put in yours I don't think there'll be much money it it... Ebay is probably the best bet but I wouldn't think you'll be getting much more than 50 - 100 if you're lucky especially when new (albeit budget brands) can be had for 200 or thereabouts.

Have you considered claiming on household insurance if you have accidental damage?

Never trust information given by strangers on internet forums
    • macman
    • By macman 9th Aug 11, 4:15 PM
    • 40,040 Posts
    • 16,199 Thanks
    macman
    • 9th Aug 11, 4:15 PM
    • 9th Aug 11, 4:15 PM
    Given the cost of shipping it, a TV for spares is probably worthless, unless someone local wants it.
    You can't say that it's otherwise 'as new', because if it won't power up and display, then you don't know what is actually wrong with it.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
  • bobobop
    • 11th Aug 11, 8:13 PM
    • 11th Aug 11, 8:13 PM
    Hi, i would list on ebay confirming exact condition, model etc and see what offers you get, thanks
  • crazyguy
    • 11th Aug 11, 8:16 PM
    • 11th Aug 11, 8:16 PM
    either that or do what the rest of us do with rubbish and bin it !
  • vikramrkin
    • 12th Aug 11, 11:40 AM
    • 12th Aug 11, 11:40 AM
    ebay is your best bet. I have sold some broken laptop and other electricals, which i never thought would sell. in your listing, mention that it is for parts only and clearly explain the fault. give the option of collecting it for free and shipping with an appropriate cost.
  • PeterJohnson
    • 12th Aug 11, 3:57 PM
    • 12th Aug 11, 3:57 PM
    Have you got contents insurance? If so, worth checking whether you may be covered.
    According to ABBA apparently it's a rich mans' world . . .
  • Scuba_Steve
    • 13th Aug 11, 4:22 PM
    Local Repair shop
    • 13th Aug 11, 4:22 PM
    Have you tired your local repair shop they may buy it for parts that is where we sold ours
    • catzooo
    • By catzooo 13th Aug 11, 9:37 PM
    • 167 Posts
    • 83 Thanks
    catzooo
    • 13th Aug 11, 9:37 PM
    • 13th Aug 11, 9:37 PM
    Try Comet - they do a fixed price repair = 125 to diagnose the problem and this includes parts up to 150
    • Kurtis_Blue
    • By Kurtis_Blue 13th Aug 11, 11:07 PM
    • 2,144 Posts
    • 1,263 Thanks
    Kurtis_Blue
    Try Comet - they do a fixed price repair = 125 to diagnose the problem and this includes parts up to 150
    Originally posted by catzooo
    Doesn't cover accidental damage.
    • catzooo
    • By catzooo 14th Aug 11, 12:58 PM
    • 167 Posts
    • 83 Thanks
    catzooo
    oops - yes you're right - doesn't cover accidental damage!
    • Moneymaker
    • By Moneymaker 14th Aug 11, 3:15 PM
    • 1,983 Posts
    • 782 Thanks
    Moneymaker
    You haven't stated the model number. You might get more if you dismantle it and offer the separate assemblies for sale. Obviously, you'll have to check to see what each of them is called and take good quality photos so people know exactly what you are offering. State Sony TV model number, module name and any distinguishing numbers or codes printed on it.
  • Sowfie
    I'd give eBay a go, we sold a laptop with a cracked screen for 75, we were only hoping for a tenner! Make sure you put a picture on and describe it in detail to cover yourself x
    August Wins: Fruit Shoot Skills Kit x3 / Fox's Biscuits / Nivea Moisturiser / Nails Inc. Varnish / Rice Krispie Squares
    September Wins: Fruit Shoot Skills Kit x2 / Duracell Bunny / Nivea x 2
    • Pincher
    • By Pincher 15th Aug 11, 8:02 PM
    • 5,354 Posts
    • 1,912 Thanks
    Pincher
    What about a Trade-In deal?

Maybe it doesn't have to be working.
    What happens if you push this button?
  • Dave Harris
    Try your local repair shop, they could buy your TV or other parts.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,409Posts Today

7,501Users online

Martin's Twitter