Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Grimbal
    • By Grimbal 5th Aug 11, 11:16 AM
    • 2,188Posts
    • 3,431Thanks
    Grimbal
    The "have a look at this!" thread II
    • 5th Aug 11, 11:16 AM
    The "have a look at this!" thread II 5th Aug 11 at 11:16 AM
    Official MSE Insert:

Thanks to Grimbal for starting this thread, where compulsive Rightmove browsers share their funniest finds. Scroll down for Playboy mansions, unusual extensions, toilets in wardrobes and mysterious presences under bedcovers.

Back to the original post...

Thought I'd start off a new thread as the other one was getting to be pretty long. The old thread can be found here.

How about starting up a thread dedicated to the interesting properties that we come across in our searches ?

I'm guessing these guys don't invite their granny over to watch TV

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 15-06-2016 at 2:02 PM.
    "Science is a wonderful thing if one does not have to earn one's living at it" Einstein 1951
Page 1166
    • daivid
    • By daivid 7th Feb 18, 8:29 PM
    • 167 Posts
    • 147 Thanks
    daivid
    I can't quite figure out how much of the property is for sale, as 6,500 square foot sounds enormous, but floorplan doesn't quite give it away.

Also, it's leasehold, so may be a flat?
    Originally posted by Ocelot
    The developers have been converting and selling off parts of the House, Stables, Outbuildings, lodges etc for the past 15 years or more. As far as I know all are leasehold and have a hefty service charge to pay also. The property I linked looks to be the central section of the main house so in effect a terraced house. - edit - actually I think the top of that central tower is an apartment, so are they currently selling a grand maisonette?!
    Last edited by daivid; 07-02-2018 at 8:32 PM. Reason: detail
    • zagubov
    • By zagubov 7th Feb 18, 8:34 PM
    • 15,113 Posts
    • 129,190 Thanks
    zagubov
    Right - so it's 2 bedrooms then - looking at that floorplan.

My head hurts wondering how one could re-organise the 1st floor in order to have a 3rd bedroom.
    Originally posted by moneyistooshorttomention
    If I'm looking at the right picture, they need to make a corridor of one side of the bedroom closest to the shower room. Makes four bedrooms that way.
    There is no honour to be had in not knowing a thing that can be known - Danny Baker
    • SalsaDanca
    • By SalsaDanca 7th Feb 18, 8:57 PM
    • 409 Posts
    • 621 Thanks
    SalsaDanca
    Originally posted by christiem94
    The safe on the ground floor is big enough to be shown on the floorplan, but it's marked "no access". Would you want your property to contain a safe that's almost big enough to be a room, if you couldn't open it to make sure it was empty?
    • gallygirl
    • By gallygirl 7th Feb 18, 10:08 PM
    • 16,431 Posts
    • 108,574 Thanks
    gallygirl
    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-70903898.html#tab=floorplan

Pic 7, was it really necessary to leave the dustpan and brush on the kitchen floor. Also using the "lawn" as a car park, Pic 11.
    Originally posted by lincroft1710
    Calling out for planning permission for semi or detached bungalow in that garden.
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    Mortgage Balance = £0
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 8th Feb 18, 5:52 AM
    • 24,258 Posts
    • 90,869 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Calling out for planning permission for semi or detached bungalow in that garden.
    Originally posted by gallygirl
    You'd think an extension at least, but it depends how strict the council would be in maintaining the building line in Homefield Avenue.

I wouldn't put money on it.
    Last edited by Davesnave; 08-02-2018 at 5:57 AM.
    'A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they'll never sit in.'
    • Dandie89
    • By Dandie89 8th Feb 18, 9:40 AM
    • 188 Posts
    • 554 Thanks
    Dandie89
    The safe on the ground floor is big enough to be shown on the floorplan, but it's marked "no access". Would you want your property to contain a safe that's almost big enough to be a room, if you couldn't open it to make sure it was empty?
    Originally posted by SalsaDanca
    Perhaps just no access for the viewer. Perhaps a shotgun locker.
    • cloo
    • By cloo 8th Feb 18, 11:28 AM
    • 966 Posts
    • 871 Thanks
    cloo
    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-50987733.html

Got to carry the shopping as far here and pay much more for the privilege (no real incline though). Plus spot the (staged?) dogs.
    Originally posted by daivid
    Odd layout with such a tiny, separate kitchen and pretty stingy sized bedrooms too.
    • AFF8879
    • By AFF8879 9th Feb 18, 12:57 AM
    • 281 Posts
    • 718 Thanks
    AFF8879
    Interesting spot to display your ornamental plant
    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-50801835.html
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 9th Feb 18, 7:23 AM
    • 14,851 Posts
    • 41,053 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Originally posted by AFF8879
    Whew! Expensive area for a place that small to cost that much.

Thought you meant the one in front garden in first place - and one can see it's been put there to stop people treating it as parking space for a car.

The garden hits me in the eye as far too small and awkwardly-shaped - though I can understand why the owner grabbed a bit of garden that simply wasn't available to grab realistically, as it wasn't big enough (in order to get a bit more house space - with that conservatory).
    NOT dancing to anyone else's tune.

It's the 21st century now....
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 9th Feb 18, 8:16 AM
    • 24,258 Posts
    • 90,869 Thanks
    Davesnave
    The garden hits me in the eye as far too small and awkwardly-shaped - though I can understand why the owner grabbed a bit of garden that simply wasn't available to grab realistically, as it wasn't big enough (in order to get a bit more house space - with that conservatory).
    Originally posted by moneyistooshorttomention
    Well, it was 'realistic,' because the conservatory was built, and to comply with planning it couldn't have covered more than 50% of the garden area within the title.

Emotive language apart, building a garden room onto a 1 bed bungalow was exactly what everyone did in the corner of the estate where my parents lived. This enabled the older people who bought these to put up guests on a sofa bed and also use the room as a dining area at other times. It worked well, which is why the practice was universal.
    'A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they'll never sit in.'
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 9th Feb 18, 12:22 PM
    • 24,258 Posts
    • 90,869 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Viewed this one ages ago when it wasn't as 'developed' as it is now and its origins as a clubhouse of some kind were more apparent.

I can't honestly remember much, except that the walls were concrete, the roof had metal tiles on it and they tried to flog it to us as a 'good life' property then. They're still doing that, but the garden area's nothing special.

I remember leaving, very bemused because I couldn't see the possibility of another floor, but they have one....sort of!

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-63985441.html

It's not where the pin is, but up above it on the more major road. Street View is available.

Still an odd sorta place....
    • rwcwilson
    • By rwcwilson 9th Feb 18, 3:06 PM
    • 30 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    rwcwilson
    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-71315759.html

Not only does it have a mezzanine study in one of the bedrooms (they removed the picture where you see it better) but that bike wheel sculpture!!!
    • cloo
    • By cloo 9th Feb 18, 3:31 PM
    • 966 Posts
    • 871 Thanks
    cloo
    The mezzanine is odd, but otherwise it's rather nice, like the back extension.
    • Penitent
    • By Penitent 9th Feb 18, 3:46 PM
    • 1,991 Posts
    • 6,028 Thanks
    Penitent
    https://www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/details/46544997

I find the bathroom layout odd. All that space, but they chose a miniature bath and squeezed the loo at the end of it? I assume the loo had to go there for waste pipe-related reasons, but surely they could have laid the bath, shower and sink out in a way that would let them put a grown-up bath in?
    • Penitent
    • By Penitent 9th Feb 18, 3:52 PM
    • 1,991 Posts
    • 6,028 Thanks
    Penitent
    Originally posted by AFF8879
    They have so many of the bloody things, it took me two tries to find the daft one.
    • Penitent
    • By Penitent 9th Feb 18, 3:54 PM
    • 1,991 Posts
    • 6,028 Thanks
    Penitent
    Perhaps just no access for the viewer. Perhaps a shotgun locker.
    Originally posted by Dandie89
    Or it's just full of their valuables. If I had a safe, I can't imagine giving access the the EA or wanting to open it in front of anyone who felt like booking a viewing.
    • Lummoxley
    • By Lummoxley 9th Feb 18, 8:14 PM
    • 130 Posts
    • 363 Thanks
    Lummoxley
    Was has happened to that wall in photo 9?

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-52894575.html
    • Penitent
    • By Penitent 9th Feb 18, 8:32 PM
    • 1,991 Posts
    • 6,028 Thanks
    Penitent
    Originally posted by Lummoxley
    Combined with the creepy tree staring though the window, I'm going to assume it involved a Necronomicon. (I wonder if that's the same tree whose shadow is reaching ominously toward the house in photo 1?)

The EA sure does like taking pictures of that same bed and couch.
    • AFF8879
    • By AFF8879 9th Feb 18, 8:56 PM
    • 281 Posts
    • 718 Thanks
    AFF8879
    https://www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/details/46544997

I find the bathroom layout odd. All that space, but they chose a miniature bath and squeezed the loo at the end of it? I assume the loo had to go there for waste pipe-related reasons, but surely they could have laid the bath, shower and sink out in a way that would let them put a grown-up bath in?
    Originally posted by Penitent
    Now if that was in London, a few kitchen units would be shoved into the living room, the kitchen would become a bedroom, a small shower room created in the bedroom and the existing bathroom become bedroom number 3
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 9th Feb 18, 9:06 PM
    • 14,851 Posts
    • 41,053 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Originally posted by Lummoxley
    Personally - I'd want a darn good look at that garden and garage - and the neighbours gardens.

As I'm wondering if it's a "beds in sheds" area.
    NOT dancing to anyone else's tune.

It's the 21st century now....
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,833Posts Today

9,107Users online

Martin's Twitter