Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Grimbal
    • By Grimbal 5th Aug 11, 11:16 AM
    • 2,188Posts
    • 3,431Thanks
    Grimbal
    The "have a look at this!" thread II
    • 5th Aug 11, 11:16 AM
    The "have a look at this!" thread II 5th Aug 11 at 11:16 AM
    Official MSE Insert:

Thanks to Grimbal for starting this thread, where compulsive Rightmove browsers share their funniest finds. Scroll down for Playboy mansions, unusual extensions, toilets in wardrobes and mysterious presences under bedcovers.

Back to the original post...

Thought I'd start off a new thread as the other one was getting to be pretty long. The old thread can be found here.

How about starting up a thread dedicated to the interesting properties that we come across in our searches ?

I'm guessing these guys don't invite their granny over to watch TV

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 15-06-2016 at 2:02 PM.
    "Science is a wonderful thing if one does not have to earn one's living at it" Einstein 1951
Page 1116
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 11th Sep 17, 1:27 PM
    • 13,904 Posts
    • 37,825 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    I can only think you are looking at the wrong property, or only at the first image of the garden.
    Originally posted by Red-Squirrel
    Sorrees to disillusion you - I have looked at all the photos
    #MeToo

Why should our needs override the needs of all other living species? What makes us so special? (Brigit Strawbridge)
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 11th Sep 17, 2:17 PM
    • 1,872 Posts
    • 5,125 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    Sorrees to disillusion you - I have looked at all the photos
    Originally posted by moneyistooshorttomention
    Ok.

You're wrong.
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 11th Sep 17, 2:24 PM
    • 13,904 Posts
    • 37,825 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Ok.

You're wrong.
    Originally posted by Red-Squirrel
    Objective fact?

Nope - a personal opinion compared to another personal opinion. Both of which are equally valid
    #MeToo

Why should our needs override the needs of all other living species? What makes us so special? (Brigit Strawbridge)
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 11th Sep 17, 3:23 PM
    • 1,872 Posts
    • 5,125 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    Objective fact?

Nope - a personal opinion compared to another personal opinion. Both of which are equally valid
    Yeah, not always. Sometimes you can just be wrong about something.

A 200ft garden has never been normal or standard for standard 3 bed semi-detached houses. Ever. I've no idea why you want to claim that it has.
    • phoebe1989seb
    • By phoebe1989seb 11th Sep 17, 3:51 PM
    • 3,121 Posts
    • 6,393 Thanks
    phoebe1989seb
    Agree. I would almost never buy a 'modernised' period house, as it is often vulgarised with PVC windows and a white plastic front door, not to mention all the walls knocked down to create an 'open-plan' feel and laminate or concrete flooring, instead of the original wooden one. If I did I would expect a hefty reduction in asking price to enable me to restore it to its former glory.

I do prefer some modernisation, however, such as a bathroom and indoor toilet!
    Originally posted by Ocelot
    Same here.....we prefer to restore our houses to their former glory

That's why our current house has -

Original 1850s and Arts & Crafts fireplaces, original single-glazed timber windows, original Crittall single-glazed windows, 1920s timber door with decorative hinges, parquet floor added when the house was extended in the early 1920s, several heavily-beamed ceilings, built-in linen press, original oak verandah and other garden features.

In addition we've reinstated some features that had been removed by previous owners, although being built as a cottage ours never had picture rails so we've not changed that.

We wouldn't dream of altering anything in the name of modernisation with the exception of kitchens and bathrooms, although we do these in period style and I confess to being partial to a nice high-level cistern and throne seat, lol!
    Last edited by phoebe1989seb; 11-09-2017 at 3:55 PM.
    Paid off mortgage early - mortgage-free since age 40 (2007)

Over £40,000 mis-sold PPI reclaimed
    • phoebe1989seb
    • By phoebe1989seb 11th Sep 17, 3:54 PM
    • 3,121 Posts
    • 6,393 Thanks
    phoebe1989seb
    Complete with an "old air age shelter" [sic]

Might be a useful feature with the North Korea situation developing... but not sure the door and roof are up to NBC standards
    Originally posted by EachPenny
    Our estate agent sent us the draft details for our approval with "Victorian air raid shelter", lol

• bouicca21
    • By bouicca21 11th Sep 17, 5:05 PM
    • 3,222 Posts
    • 3,975 Thanks
    bouicca21
    Have to hand it to them, those Victorians must have been very forward thinking. Fear of attack by balloon perhaps?
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 11th Sep 17, 6:22 PM
    • 23,528 Posts
    • 89,339 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Have to hand it to them, those Victorians must have been very forward thinking. Fear of attack by balloon perhaps?
    Originally posted by bouicca21
    Absolutely. Those dastardly Frenchmen, the Montgolfier Bros, were dropping sheep, cockerels and ducks from balloons as early as the 1780s.

At least one of those cannot normally fly very far.
    'A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they'll never sit in.'
    • Deep In Debt
    • By Deep In Debt 11th Sep 17, 7:14 PM
    • 8,026 Posts
    • 12,361 Thanks
    Deep In Debt
    An interesting rental property!
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-4873288/London-home-Saddam-Hussein-mural-rent.html
    • GDB2222
    • By GDB2222 11th Sep 17, 8:21 PM
    • 14,114 Posts
    • 75,978 Thanks
    GDB2222
    I remember being amazed at my last house at how different the rooms looked when we put the picture rails back. Completely altered the proportions - for the better. The trouble with people 'modernising' houses is they don't put nearly as much thought into how things look/work as the original architect. And don't get me started on double glazing units that bear no relationship to the originals ...
    Or they give it a lot of thought, but they don't have nearly as much talent as the original architect.

</elitist mode off>
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
    • bouicca21
    • By bouicca21 11th Sep 17, 8:23 PM
    • 3,222 Posts
    • 3,975 Thanks
    bouicca21
    That deserves a prize, not sure whether it should be an MSE award for the worst house that has ever appeared on this thread, or the Turner Prize.

The thought of showering with Saddam Hussein was bad enough, then it was Lenin turning his back to the seating arrangements and the sitting room with dead animals. But the worst of all is the thought of sleeping with what seems to be a more than life size kamikaze pilot. Shudder.
    • Bluebell1000
    • By Bluebell1000 11th Sep 17, 8:40 PM
    • 656 Posts
    • 1,884 Thanks
    Bluebell1000
    This is the biggest back garden I've ever seen on on a suburban 3 bed house.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-68361530.html#location

On the satellite view it's 10 houses to the left of the grey dot, next door to the house with the solar panels.
    Originally posted by NaughtiusMaximus
    https://www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/details/44798089#1ozqI445Q0v7V9pJ.97
    This one has a 320 foot garden, a little over a third of an acre in total.
    Last edited by Bluebell1000; 11-09-2017 at 8:47 PM.
    • EachPenny
    • By EachPenny 11th Sep 17, 9:26 PM
    • 2,838 Posts
    • 5,077 Thanks
    EachPenny
    The thought of showering with Saddam Hussein was bad enough, then it was Lenin turning his back to the seating arrangements and the sitting room with dead animals. But the worst of all is the thought of sleeping with what seems to be a more than life size kamikaze pilot. Shudder.
    I could live with the murals, even the Pope under the stairs. But the stuffed zebras.... really?
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
    • phoebe1989seb
    • By phoebe1989seb 11th Sep 17, 11:20 PM
    • 3,121 Posts
    • 6,393 Thanks
    phoebe1989seb
    I have to confess there are a few things I really like in that house (the sanitaryware, green high-backed sofa & huge palms for starters) but these are outweighed many, many times over by stuff I definitely couldn't live with

• Cloudydaze
    • By Cloudydaze 12th Sep 17, 5:46 PM
    • 616 Posts
    • 2,377 Thanks
    Cloudydaze
    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-68829629.html

When there's room on your boat for a yoga room!
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 12th Sep 17, 6:03 PM
    • 13,904 Posts
    • 37,825 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    https://www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/details/44798089#1ozqI445Q0v7V9pJ.97
    This one has a 320 foot garden, a little over a third of an acre in total.
    Originally posted by Bluebell1000
    Ooh...where's a "lusting after that" smilie? Well - the garden anyway. I'd pass on the house (though not bad) and tossed-up whether to move to Lincoln many years back now (yep...for cheaper housing...) and decided against.
    #MeToo

• Bluebell1000
    • By Bluebell1000 12th Sep 17, 7:37 PM
    • 656 Posts
    • 1,884 Thanks
    Bluebell1000
    Ooh...where's a "lusting after that" smilie? Well - the garden anyway. I'd pass on the house (though not bad) and tossed-up whether to move to Lincoln many years back now (yep...for cheaper housing...) and decided against.
    I love Lincoln, still small and friendly, but big enough to have decent choice of shops etc And pretty cheap.
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 12th Sep 17, 7:46 PM
    • 1,872 Posts
    • 5,125 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    It's only a fairly ordinary garden.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 12th Sep 17, 9:18 PM
    • 23,528 Posts
    • 89,339 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Devon can be quite cheap if one stays away from the tourist hot spots. Plenty of choice around £250k - £300k, from olde worlde cottages to modern bungalows, just right for a quiet, easy retirement.

And then there's this: http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-61738162.html
    'A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they'll never sit in.'
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 12th Sep 17, 10:06 PM
    • 7,544 Posts
    • 8,011 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    stuffed zebras.... really?
    Originally posted by EachPenny
    Yeah. I wonder if they're real stuffed zebras. (Which would only be cool if they're pre-20th Century.)
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

190Posts Today

1,511Users online

Martin's Twitter