Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Grimbal
    • By Grimbal 5th Aug 11, 11:16 AM
    • 2,188Posts
    • 3,431Thanks
    Grimbal
    The "have a look at this!" thread II
    • 5th Aug 11, 11:16 AM
    The "have a look at this!" thread II 5th Aug 11 at 11:16 AM
    Official MSE Insert:

Thanks to Grimbal for starting this thread, where compulsive Rightmove browsers share their funniest finds. Scroll down for Playboy mansions, unusual extensions, toilets in wardrobes and mysterious presences under bedcovers.

Back to the original post...

Thought I'd start off a new thread as the other one was getting to be pretty long. The old thread can be found here.

How about starting up a thread dedicated to the interesting properties that we come across in our searches ?

I'm guessing these guys don't invite their granny over to watch TV

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 15-06-2016 at 2:02 PM.
    "Science is a wonderful thing if one does not have to earn one's living at it" Einstein 1951
Page 1115
    • EachPenny
    • By EachPenny 10th Sep 17, 6:11 PM
    • 2,933 Posts
    • 5,341 Thanks
    EachPenny
    This is the biggest back garden I've ever seen on on a suburban 3 bed house.
    Originally posted by NaughtiusMaximus
    Complete with an "old air age shelter" [sic]

Might be a useful feature with the North Korea situation developing... but not sure the door and roof are up to NBC standards
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 10th Sep 17, 6:21 PM
    • 23,565 Posts
    • 89,429 Thanks
    Davesnave

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-68361530.html#location
    That is a good size; probably too good for many folk!

I once viewed a house in Warminster, Wilts with a 620' back garden, but it was somewhat narrower than that. Looking east on the aerial photo, it seems as if some people got together and sold off parts of their gardens for development. (Newland Gardens)
    'A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they'll never sit in.'
    • StumpyPumpy
    • By StumpyPumpy 10th Sep 17, 6:31 PM
    • 1,169 Posts
    • 3,139 Thanks
    StumpyPumpy
    The Buxton house yesterday was a classic example of a good old-fashioned house, properly maintained. I loved it.
    Originally posted by Davesnave
    I'm with you on this. When I see a "Look at this old fashioned house, ha ha" type comment, almost invariably the houses are spotlessly clean and well maintained, whereas the constantly "modernised" ones that fill Rightmove often seem tired and neglected.

My heart sinks a little every time I see a nice old house with "Recently updated to a high standard", in the description. You almost know there is going to be some out of character fitted kitchen sticking out into the knocked through dining/living/kitchen/breakfast area. I'd much prefer to buy a well maintained "out-of-date" house than one that needs ripping out and rebuilding every 5 years.

But, surprise, surprise, people like different things and I like older things. I guess many people wouldn't bother to try and source the right type of chamfered picture rail to replace those taken out by previous owners of our house, unlike me

SP
    Come on people, it's not difficult: lose means to be unable to find, loose means not being fixed in place. So if you have a hole in your pocket you might lose your loose change.
    • bouicca21
    • By bouicca21 10th Sep 17, 7:16 PM
    • 3,244 Posts
    • 4,042 Thanks
    bouicca21
    I remember being amazed at my last house at how different the rooms looked when we put the picture rails back. Completely altered the proportions - for the better. The trouble with people 'modernising' houses is they don't put nearly as much thought into how things look/work as the original architect. And don't get me started on double glazing units that bear no relationship to the originals ...
    • Ocelot
    • By Ocelot 10th Sep 17, 7:18 PM
    • 56 Posts
    • 131 Thanks
    Ocelot
    'Harpers & Co is delighted to present this property developer's dream & rare to market stunning Georgian detached house residing on a large corner plot.'

Doesn't look Georgian to me, and, if it is, it won't be a 'property developer's dream' as it will likely be listed.!
    • Ocelot
    • By Ocelot 10th Sep 17, 7:23 PM
    • 56 Posts
    • 131 Thanks
    Ocelot
    I'm with you on this. When I see a "Look at this old fashioned house, ha ha" type comment, almost invariably the houses are spotlessly clean and well maintained, whereas the constantly "modernised" ones that fill Rightmove often seem tired and neglected.

My heart sinks a little every time I see a nice old house with "Recently updated to a high standard", in the description. You almost know there is going to be some out of character fitted kitchen sticking out into the knocked through dining/living/kitchen/breakfast area. I'd much prefer to buy a well maintained "out-of-date" house than one that needs ripping out and rebuilding every 5 years.

But, surprise, surprise, people like different things and I like older things. I guess many people wouldn't bother to try and source the right type of chamfered picture rail to replace those taken out by previous owners of our house, unlike me

SP
    Originally posted by StumpyPumpy
    Agree. I would almost never buy a 'modernised' period house, as it is often vulgarised with PVC windows and a white plastic front door, not to mention all the walls knocked down to create an 'open-plan' feel and laminate or concrete flooring, instead of the original wooden one. If I did I would expect a hefty reduction in asking price to enable me to restore it to its former glory.

I do prefer some modernisation, however, such as a bathroom and indoor toilet!
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 10th Sep 17, 7:51 PM
    • 1,899 Posts
    • 5,238 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-68361530.html#location

On the satellite view it's 10 houses to the left of the grey dot, next door to the house with the solar panels.
    I've got family members near Liverpool with a garden that sort of size on a 3 bed semi. Its got a proper little orchard at the bottom, peaches, pears, apples, used to love it as a kid.

I'd never be able to manage it though, I bet it puts a lot of people off.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 10th Sep 17, 11:01 PM
    • 23,565 Posts
    • 89,429 Thanks
    Davesnave
    I remember being amazed at my last house at how different the rooms looked when we put the picture rails back. Completely altered the proportions - for the better..
    Originally posted by bouicca21
    We did the same. You're right about the way it changed the whole feel of the place.

Friends, from whom we'd bought the property, stripped them all out. I remember laughing at their folly, and at the house they'd created, not knowing that we would own it less than two years later!
    'A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they'll never sit in.'
    • Vectis
    • By Vectis 11th Sep 17, 8:11 AM
    • 464 Posts
    • 568 Thanks
    Vectis
    Granby Road, Buxton, Derbyshire, High Peak
    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-50431083.html

It's like going back in time. Not seen a blue bath suite for a while.
    Originally posted by NicNicP

A bit unfair, I think, to put this house in with lots of the other hideous examples shown in this thread.

It's obviously been well maintained and looks like somewhere you could just move straight into without major work and redecorate as you go. Yes, the carpets etc are a dated design but lumping an obviously well looked after home in the same category as some of the messes we've seen seems a little unfair.
    • LandyAndy
    • By LandyAndy 11th Sep 17, 8:12 AM
    • 23,952 Posts
    • 50,684 Thanks
    LandyAndy
    Do you pay to dispose of stuff as a householder where you are? Here you can get rid of as much as you like if you can physically get it to the tip. Its only trade/commercial waste and special collections that are charged for.

I took 15m2 of carpet in about 10 bin bags the other day!
    Originally posted by Red-Squirrel

Same here. Whenever I used my Land Rover to take rubbish to the tip I had to show them that the rear seats were in place to prove I was a householder using an 'estate car' and not a tradesman using a 'van'.
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 11th Sep 17, 8:46 AM
    • 13,977 Posts
    • 37,961 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Think I might be the only one looking at "most impressive back garden" on the house mentioned as having one and thinking "Where is it then? I can only see a reasonable size back garden".

You know that a high proportion of houses now have "pocket handkerchiefs" for gardens when an ordinary back garden gets described as "most impressive". Sad times.....
    #MeToo

Why should our needs override the needs of all other living species? What makes us so special? (Brigit Strawbridge)
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 11th Sep 17, 8:51 AM
    • 1,899 Posts
    • 5,238 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    Think I might be the only one looking at "most impressive back garden" on the house mentioned as having one and thinking "Where is it then? I can only see a reasonable size back garden".

You know that a high proportion of houses now have "pocket handkerchiefs" for gardens when an ordinary back garden gets described as "most impressive". Sad times.....
    Originally posted by moneyistooshorttomention
    I can only think you are looking at the wrong property, or only at the first image of the garden.
    • bouicca21
    • By bouicca21 11th Sep 17, 9:19 AM
    • 3,244 Posts
    • 4,042 Thanks
    bouicca21

Puts on best John McEnroe impression: you cannot be serious ...
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 11th Sep 17, 9:25 AM
    • 23,565 Posts
    • 89,429 Thanks
    Davesnave

200' isn't impressive then? I doubt if anyone could have found a 200' garden tacked onto an 'average' house from any era in my old city.

Believe me, I looked....
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 11th Sep 17, 9:34 AM
    • 23,565 Posts
    • 89,429 Thanks
    Davesnave

A bit unfair, I think, to put this house in with lots of the other hideous examples shown in this thread.

It's obviously been well maintained and looks like somewhere you could just move straight into without major work and redecorate as you go. Yes, the carpets etc are a dated design but lumping an obviously well looked after home in the same category as some of the messes we've seen seems a little unfair.
    Originally posted by Vectis
    It's a particularly fine time-warp house, so it belongs here. None of us said anything rude about it. Being experienced Rightmovers, we acnowledged its finer qualities in the the same way as you.

All sorts of houses are 'lumped -in' here, including those worth millions.
    • NaughtiusMaximus
    • By NaughtiusMaximus 11th Sep 17, 9:51 AM
    • 466 Posts
    • 1,156 Thanks
    NaughtiusMaximus

It's a particularly fine time-warp house, so it belongs here. None of us said anything rude about it. Being experienced Rightmovers, we acnowledged its finer qualities in the the same way as you.

All sorts of houses are 'lumped -in' here, including those worth millions.
    Originally posted by Davesnave
    Indeed, I see this thread as being for particularly interesting or unusual houses, although the downright ugly ones are always good for a laugh

As you say the Buxton one qualifies as unusual as the interior is simultaneously retro (or dated depending on your point of view) but very well maintained, usually houses with this type of interior are somewhat dilapidated.
    • NicNicP
    • By NicNicP 11th Sep 17, 9:57 AM
    • 221 Posts
    • 121 Thanks
    NicNicP
    Thanks. I didn't post it as an 'ugly' house, rather a house that has been maintained but without updating and showed the true styles of times passed.
    • Dandie89
    • By Dandie89 11th Sep 17, 10:21 AM
    • 164 Posts
    • 506 Thanks
    Dandie89
    I hate to think what their annual fly-tip clearance budget is then
    Originally posted by EachPenny
    Possibly not as much as you think as a lot of it occurs on private land falling to the poor old farmer to pay to remove.

Any incentive they do feel to prevent fly tipping they may well see as money well spent though as their costs of disposable and lack of land to deal with it increases.
    • Dandie89
    • By Dandie89 11th Sep 17, 10:23 AM
    • 164 Posts
    • 506 Thanks
    Dandie89
    Embrace! Also buy the art work although possible do something about the fireplace. Nice house though
    • EachPenny
    • By EachPenny 11th Sep 17, 10:55 AM
    • 2,933 Posts
    • 5,341 Thanks
    EachPenny
    Possibly not as much as you think as a lot of it occurs on private land falling to the poor old farmer to pay to remove.

Any incentive they do feel to prevent fly tipping they may well see as money well spent though as their costs of disposable and lack of land to deal with it increases.
    Originally posted by Dandie89
    It is a good point about the private land and farmers.

Councils shouldn't be sending waste from (DIY) construction to landfill. Most, if not all, can be recycled and/or reused. The contents of many builder's skips is actually taken away and processed to recover re-usable materials, rather than just being dumped. My local council has recycling facilities for timber and plasterboard, but there is no reason why they couldn't have a separate container for other DIY waste to go for sorting, rather than landfill.

That lovely blue toilet would be perfect for crushing for aggregate
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,969Posts Today

8,729Users online

Martin's Twitter