Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Grimbal
    • By Grimbal 5th Aug 11, 11:16 AM
    • 2,188Posts
    • 3,431Thanks
    Grimbal
    The "have a look at this!" thread II
    • 5th Aug 11, 11:16 AM
    The "have a look at this!" thread II 5th Aug 11 at 11:16 AM
    Official MSE Insert:

Thanks to Grimbal for starting this thread, where compulsive Rightmove browsers share their funniest finds. Scroll down for Playboy mansions, unusual extensions, toilets in wardrobes and mysterious presences under bedcovers.

Back to the original post...

Thought I'd start off a new thread as the other one was getting to be pretty long. The old thread can be found here.

How about starting up a thread dedicated to the interesting properties that we come across in our searches ?

I'm guessing these guys don't invite their granny over to watch TV

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 15-06-2016 at 2:02 PM.
    "Science is a wonderful thing if one does not have to earn one's living at it" Einstein 1951
Page 1114
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 8th Sep 17, 9:42 AM
    • 13,458 Posts
    • 36,656 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Locally, we have a lady chimney sweep. There's also someone who advertises decorating and painting who goes under the name of "A Woman's Touch.".....

......Errr, at least I think that's what she does!
    Originally posted by Davesnave
    ....at the thought of your dear lady wife's likely opinion as to whether you can investigate that more closely or no
    If there's "4 tendencies" type of people (Gretchen Rubin) = yep....Questioner type here
    - Meets an expectation only if they believe it's justified and resists anything arbitrary or ineffective
    • phoebe1989seb
    • By phoebe1989seb 8th Sep 17, 11:20 AM
    • 3,087 Posts
    • 6,338 Thanks
    phoebe1989seb
    Granby Road, Buxton, Derbyshire, High Peak
    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-50431083.html

It's like going back in time. Not seen a blue bath suite for a while.
    Originally posted by NicNicP
    I won't post the details, but some people we know just sold a house with a very similar blue suite - and another brightly coloured one. In fact, apart from a 1990s style kitchen, the whole house is a bit of a 1970s time warp.

Not knowing them for long I'd assumed the house had belonged to a deceased parent of theirs - they don't live in it and their own house is ultra modern and very minimal.

I was therefore very surprised to discover it had been their home till about four years ago. Turns out they bought it in the early 1970s (I think they are late sixties age-wise) and modernised what had been a Victorian cottage. To look at it now you'd assume it was built in the 50s/60s.

Seems that apart from the kitchen, they never updated anything further after their original investment, yet they were professionals on high salaries with no kids.......although they do have some very expensive hobbies. I guess they liked it that way and weren't obsessed with decorating like me, lol!

The house is now in such a bad state - unmortgageable - that after over 90 viewings, it's been sold to a developer who plans to knock it down.
    Paid off mortgage early - mortgage-free since age 40 (2007)

Over £40,000 mis-sold PPI reclaimed
    • NicNicP
    • By NicNicP 8th Sep 17, 5:46 PM
    • 213 Posts
    • 117 Thanks
    NicNicP
    Nowhere to sit while one speaks on the phone. Keeps the conversations short and costs down. Very MSE.

Agreed, it's a damn good (ex-local authority?) house. Even faces the right way.
    Yes it is ex local authority.
    • Deep In Debt
    • By Deep In Debt 8th Sep 17, 8:56 PM
    • 7,970 Posts
    • 12,170 Thanks
    Deep In Debt
    Granby Road, Buxton, Derbyshire, High Peak
    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-50431083.html

It's like going back in time. Not seen a blue bath suite for a while.
    Originally posted by NicNicP
    The stripes on the lawn remind me of my late father. He used to play cricket and when he retired he used to mow the local cricket pitch and always ensured when cutting the lawn at home that it had even stripes!
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 9th Sep 17, 7:36 AM
    • 13,458 Posts
    • 36,656 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    I won't post the details, but some people we know just sold a house with a very similar blue suite - and another brightly coloured one. In fact, apart from a 1990s style kitchen, the whole house is a bit of a 1970s time warp.

Not knowing them for long I'd assumed the house had belonged to a deceased parent of theirs - they don't live in it and their own house is ultra modern and very minimal.

I was therefore very surprised to discover it had been their home till about four years ago. Turns out they bought it in the early 1970s (I think they are late sixties age-wise) and modernised what had been a Victorian cottage. To look at it now you'd assume it was built in the 50s/60s.

Seems that apart from the kitchen, they never updated anything further after their original investment, yet they were professionals on high salaries with no kids.......although they do have some very expensive hobbies. I guess they liked it that way and weren't obsessed with decorating like me, lol!

The house is now in such a bad state - unmortgageable - that after over 90 viewings, it's been sold to a developer who plans to knock it down.
    Originally posted by phoebe1989seb
    It's a way of thinking I don't understand either. I was brought up to think = houses get looked after obviously. So I do. So my brother does. We've obviously got a motto in our heads of "See house = knock it about. Get it up-to-date" and that's precisely what I've just finished doing on my current house.

But I am losing count of the number of workmen here that tell me they know where most of their incomes are coming from and there are quite a few people around that just don't maintain/modernise their houses and, when I ask if the reason is because they can't afford it, I get told they suspect it's often that people can afford it, but are choosing not to. I'm still trying to figure out why anyone wouldnt do the maintenance/modernising - if they do have the money. It is a right hassle trying to live in a house while it is being modernised - but isn't it a bigger hassle and a 'mood downer' to live in one that is just deteriorating....
    If there's "4 tendencies" type of people (Gretchen Rubin) = yep....Questioner type here
    - Meets an expectation only if they believe it's justified and resists anything arbitrary or ineffective
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 9th Sep 17, 7:53 AM
    • 23,150 Posts
    • 88,525 Thanks
    Davesnave
    It is a right hassle trying to live in a house while it is being modernised - but isn't it a bigger hassle and a 'mood downer' to live in one that is just deteriorating....
    Originally posted by moneyistooshorttomention
    You might think that way, but others have different priorities.

I'm thinking here of two elderly couples I knew, who had bought landed properties in the '60/70s and then 'gone into the garden' for about 35 years. Obviously, with about 35 acres between them, they weren't poor.

These people opened their gardens to the public and with these to look after, they never gave any real thought to their houses, both of which were extremely time-warped. One of them had been a new build......in 1970. It was totally original in all respects, but not uncomfortable.

These weren't depressed folk; just people who knew what they wanted in life and got on with doing it. If only all couples could agree like that and share the joy of their preoccupation.
    'A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they'll never sit in.'
    • ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 9th Sep 17, 9:09 AM
    • 7,146 Posts
    • 13,064 Thanks
    ScarletMarble

But I am losing count of the number of workmen here that tell me they know where most of their incomes are coming from and there are quite a few people around that just don't maintain/modernise their houses and, when I ask if the reason is because they can't afford it, I get told they suspect it's often that people can afford it, but are choosing not to. I'm still trying to figure out why anyone wouldnt do the maintenance/modernising - if they do have the money. It is a right hassle trying to live in a house while it is being modernised - but isn't it a bigger hassle and a 'mood downer' to live in one that is just deteriorating....
    Originally posted by moneyistooshorttomention
    I suspect, with the elderly, they don't have the energy/strength to empty cupboards etc then to move furniture. Some are afraid to ask for help for some reason - my Nanan for one. Though she lives in a housing association warden controlled bungalow, nothing has been done, to the decor since my grandad died 9 years ago. The only thing different is a photograph of them both on their Diamond wedding anniversary on the wall.

She has not changed her sofa or dining set when they are so uncomfortable to sit on.
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 9th Sep 17, 9:24 AM
    • 13,458 Posts
    • 36,656 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    I suspect, with the elderly, they don't have the energy/strength to empty cupboards etc then to move furniture. Some are afraid to ask for help for some reason - my Nanan for one. Though she lives in a housing association warden controlled bungalow, nothing has been done, to the decor since my grandad died 9 years ago. The only thing different is a photograph of them both on their Diamond wedding anniversary on the wall.

She has not changed her sofa or dining set when they are so uncomfortable to sit on.
    Originally posted by ScarletMarble
    Not elderly yet - quite...ahem. But I just "sigh and pay up" for allowing for tradespeople to move my furniture around etc as required - rather than do it myself.

Confesses to being in the "flick a switch - and hand over the dosh" school of thought when it comes to getting anything more than a lightbulb changed in my house. Admits that part of it is because I simply CBA to do it myself. It doesnt bother the tradespeople - they're getting paid for it. Admits to a sexist division of labour going on here when work is done - they drop heavy hints/downright ask when they want drinks and I smile sweetly/pay a bit extra if appropriate and they do other "odds and sods" for me as well whilst here sometimes. The last job done, for instance, and they'd timed and priced the job to allow for them being the ones doing a lot of the shifting of my stuff around - and I think I had moved more of my stuff around than they thought I would in the process - but they still had to move quite a bit of it. I'd left anything heavy for them to do.

They get lots of drinks and prompt payment at the end of the job and I get my little "odds and sods" done too. What's not to like? (as long as they're decent standard at their job - and I'm finding them gradually)
    Last edited by moneyistooshorttomention; 09-09-2017 at 9:30 AM.
    • ellie99
    • By ellie99 9th Sep 17, 9:47 AM
    • 1,361 Posts
    • 10,396 Thanks
    ellie99
    Just butting in here to say there's a huge difference between "looking after a house" and "knock it about, get it up to date". Maintaining and modernising can be very different things.

As an example, my parents have always maintained their house well, it's a good sound building. Their bathroom is the original installed in 1960 (white, not coloured), and has been looked after and is in very good condition. Why would they replace it just because it's not modern?

One view would be that modernising to keep up with the latest trend is wasteful, with perfectly good items being thrown in skips. (Heard a report last week which said umpteen millions of people in the world don't have access to a toilet, yet we throw away working ones).

I take a middle view myself, happy to upgrade poor quality or faulty, but also to keep the old if still functioning well.

There of course differing views on this, but it's a bit tiring reading of MITSTM consistently looking down on the people who choose not to modernise. It's a personal choice and it doesn't mean they aren't taking care of their houses.

If you could live one day of your life over again, which day would you choose?
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 9th Sep 17, 10:20 AM
    • 23,150 Posts
    • 88,525 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Just butting in here to say there's a huge difference between "looking after a house" and "knock it about, get it up to date". Maintaining and modernising can be very different things.
    Originally posted by ellie99
    The Buxton house yesterday was a classic example of a good old-fashioned house, properly maintained. I loved it.

There's a difference too between "knock it about, get it up to date" and a proper full sort-out of a badly messed-up, defective property, but I'm not going to bore people making that distinction, except to say you don't just move furniture around for the latter.
    'A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they'll never sit in.'
    • bouicca21
    • By bouicca21 9th Sep 17, 7:09 PM
    • 3,110 Posts
    • 3,840 Thanks
    bouicca21
    If I were in the market for a move to Buxton I'd happily take that one on. That's just the sort of doer upper I could cope with. Looked after but in need of a bit of modern tlc.
    • NicNicP
    • By NicNicP 10th Sep 17, 9:02 AM
    • 213 Posts
    • 117 Thanks
    NicNicP
    If I were in the market for a move to Buxton I'd happily take that one on. That's just the sort of doer upper I could cope with. Looked after but in need of a bit of modern tlc.
    Originally posted by bouicca21
    You'd have to like rain and snow to move here!
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 10th Sep 17, 9:47 AM
    • 1,640 Posts
    • 4,416 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel

As an example, my parents have always maintained their house well, it's a good sound building. Their bathroom is the original installed in 1960 (white, not coloured), and has been looked after and is in very good condition. Why would they replace it just because it's not modern?

One view would be that modernising to keep up with the latest trend is wasteful, with perfectly good items being thrown in skips. (Heard a report last week which said umpteen millions of people in the world don't have access to a toilet, yet we throw away working ones).

I take a middle view myself, happy to upgrade poor quality or faulty, but also to keep the old if still functioning well.

There of course differing views on this, but it's a bit tiring reading of MITSTM consistently looking down on the people who choose not to modernise. It's a personal choice and it doesn't mean they aren't taking care of their houses.
    A lot of the furniture in that Buxton house would actually fetch a pretty penny now as 'vintage mid century modern', especially the bedroom stuff, and especially as it looks to be in good condition.

Goes to show, if you wait long enough your decor will eventually come back into fashion! Look at all the seventies style prints and colour schemes that are trendy now!
    • Dandie89
    • By Dandie89 10th Sep 17, 10:02 AM
    • 140 Posts
    • 439 Thanks
    Dandie89

Completely agree with all you say. I would also say than in it all too many instances the modern fitments are inferior in quality to that which they replace not to mention of a style that will not date nearly as well and will likely lead to more "land fill" in a far shorter time.

I don't think it will be a bad thing if the increasing costs that councils are imposing on disposal of this stuff will make replacement a much more considered activity.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 10th Sep 17, 10:16 AM
    • 23,150 Posts
    • 88,525 Thanks
    Davesnave
    I don't think it will be a bad thing if the increasing costs that councils are imposing on disposal of this stuff will make replacement a much more considered activity.
    Originally posted by Dandie89
    Having just paid £14.50 for the disposal of some loft insulation full of dead mice I've had lurking in the barn for some years, I think that local recycling centres offer fair value for money, even if I'd not have paid anything in, say, 2010.

However, that's me. Unfortunately, observations of lay-bys, field gateways and easily accessible woodland etc show that since charging came in, the only consideration some people now do, is when they use Street View to decide the closest place to dump DIY waste.
    • rebs
    • By rebs 10th Sep 17, 1:05 PM
    • 39 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    rebs
    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-56407387.html

Embrace it or try and cover it up?
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 10th Sep 17, 1:25 PM
    • 23,150 Posts
    • 88,525 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Sorry, the stain block will be opened just as soon as I've finished loading that fireplace into the skip......
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 10th Sep 17, 1:44 PM
    • 1,640 Posts
    • 4,416 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    Having just paid £14.50 for the disposal of some loft insulation full of dead mice I've had lurking in the barn for some years, I think that local recycling centres offer fair value for money, even if I'd not have paid anything in, say, 2010.

However, that's me. Unfortunately, observations of lay-bys, field gateways and easily accessible woodland etc show that since charging came in, the only consideration some people now do, is when they use Street View to decide the closest place to dump DIY waste.
    Do you pay to dispose of stuff as a householder where you are? Here you can get rid of as much as you like if you can physically get it to the tip. Its only trade/commercial waste and special collections that are charged for.

I took 15m2 of carpet in about 10 bin bags the other day!
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 10th Sep 17, 2:22 PM
    • 23,150 Posts
    • 88,525 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Do you pay to dispose of stuff as a householder where you are? Here you can get rid of as much as you like if you can physically get it to the tip. Its only trade/commercial waste and special collections that are charged for.

I took 15m2 of carpet in about 10 bin bags the other day!
    Originally posted by Red-Squirrel
    Every council has its own rules. Here in Devon, DIY waste is charged at £3.60 a sack/bin bag, but if I turn up with a big dumpy sack, they're conservative in their estimate of how many normal sacks that is.

People can get rid of as many carpets, mattresses and bits of furniture as they like for free + the usual garden waste. The logic is that there's only a legal duty to collect household waste, not the products of house renovation, landscaping etc.
    • EachPenny
    • By EachPenny 10th Sep 17, 2:32 PM
    • 2,147 Posts
    • 3,208 Thanks
    EachPenny
    Here in Devon, DIY waste is charged at £3.60 a sack/bin bag...
    I hate to think what their annual fly-tip clearance budget is then
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,774Posts Today

7,549Users online

Martin's Twitter