Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Grimbal
    • By Grimbal 5th Aug 11, 11:16 AM
    • 2,188Posts
    • 3,431Thanks
    Grimbal
    The "have a look at this!" thread II
    • 5th Aug 11, 11:16 AM
    The "have a look at this!" thread II 5th Aug 11 at 11:16 AM
    Official MSE Insert:

Thanks to Grimbal for starting this thread, where compulsive Rightmove browsers share their funniest finds. Scroll down for Playboy mansions, unusual extensions, toilets in wardrobes and mysterious presences under bedcovers.

Back to the original post...

Thought I'd start off a new thread as the other one was getting to be pretty long. The old thread can be found here.

How about starting up a thread dedicated to the interesting properties that we come across in our searches ?

I'm guessing these guys don't invite their granny over to watch TV

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 15-06-2016 at 2:02 PM.
    "Science is a wonderful thing if one does not have to earn one's living at it" Einstein 1951
Page 1113
    • 3mph
    • By 3mph 6th Sep 17, 11:43 PM
    • 189 Posts
    • 214 Thanks
    3mph
    OK so a TV in a bedroom is nothing special these days, but can anyone work out how you are supposed to watch it?

pic 4
    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-67374413.html
    Originally posted by 00ec25
    Smoke and more mirrors
    • LandyAndy
    • By LandyAndy 7th Sep 17, 8:41 AM
    • 23,940 Posts
    • 50,658 Thanks
    LandyAndy
    OK so a TV in a bedroom is nothing special these days, but can anyone work out how you are supposed to watch it?

pic 4

And the tv in Pic 2 is one of those extra long thin ones that only ever seem to appear in EA's photos.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 7th Sep 17, 8:50 AM
    • 23,546 Posts
    • 89,391 Thanks
    Davesnave
    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-68731703.html

For the Broadchurch fan......with no sense of value
    Originally posted by Dandie89
    In my humble experience, Stags rarely get value far wrong.

Even without the TV connections, the location explains all, though I've never understood the attraction of the place myself.
    'A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they'll never sit in.'
    • Dandie89
    • By Dandie89 7th Sep 17, 9:17 AM
    • 162 Posts
    • 495 Thanks
    Dandie89
    Not sure if I'm missing something but it seems fine to me. The decor isn't to my taste but it does suit the property and location.
    Originally posted by NaughtiusMaximus
    Yes, it's fine. Was meaning the price really for what is little more than a beach hut.
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 7th Sep 17, 1:34 PM
    • 8,511 Posts
    • 5,043 Thanks
    teddysmum
    LOL, wait til you see the size of the repair bill going by the state of some of those rooms in the photos
    It is Sharpcliffe Hall and valued at only £150000 in the 1980swhen the owners were on income support, then turned down as they had assets over £6000.

It has been a hospital, during the last war and a youth centre.
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 7th Sep 17, 1:59 PM
    • 1,880 Posts
    • 5,158 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel

pic 4
    Huh.

Maybe it folds down to a 90 degree angle?
    • cloo
    • By cloo 7th Sep 17, 3:26 PM
    • 908 Posts
    • 801 Thanks
    cloo
    This is being offered as 'land for sale'. Rather suggests the substantial house on might be a bit difficult to rescue! The interior doesn't looks too happy. Not sure why they decided to show the cellar complete with pallet full of apples.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/commercial-property-for-sale/property-60413663.html
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 7th Sep 17, 7:14 PM
    • 23,546 Posts
    • 89,391 Thanks
    Davesnave
    This is being offered as 'land for sale'. Rather suggests the substantial house on might be a bit difficult to rescue! The interior doesn't looks too happy. Not sure why they decided to show the cellar complete with pallet full of apples.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/commercial-property-for-sale/property-60413663.html
    Originally posted by cloo
    Looks pretty solid to me, but the refurb has stalled and a look at the property on Street View suggests the owner has fingers in many pies.

The immediate surroundings are none too salubrious, which is why the external shots are limited, but the area seems to be on the up.

Yes, I reckon the council will look favourably on just about anything, if it gets the place tidied-up!

POA.....Probably Over-Ambitious?
    'A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they'll never sit in.'
    • StumpyPumpy
    • By StumpyPumpy 7th Sep 17, 9:21 PM
    • 1,168 Posts
    • 3,137 Thanks
    StumpyPumpy
    POA.....Probably Over-Ambitious?
    Originally posted by Davesnave
    The POA is actually £950,000

SP
    Come on people, it's not difficult: lose means to be unable to find, loose means not being fixed in place. So if you have a hole in your pocket you might lose your loose change.
    • kinger101
    • By kinger101 7th Sep 17, 9:59 PM
    • 3,942 Posts
    • 5,390 Thanks
    kinger101
    So have I got this right? That's a big shed next to some water that David Tennant might possibly have once walked past on sale for £300k?
    Originally posted by bouicca21
    Not just a shed. According to the floorplan, a shed with a shed.
    • NicNicP
    • By NicNicP 8th Sep 17, 7:08 AM
    • 221 Posts
    • 121 Thanks
    NicNicP
    Granby Road, Buxton, Derbyshire, High Peak
    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-50431083.html

It's like going back in time. Not seen a blue bath suite for a while.
    • LandyAndy
    • By LandyAndy 8th Sep 17, 8:08 AM
    • 23,940 Posts
    • 50,658 Thanks
    LandyAndy

Originally posted by NicNicP

And a telephone table.

Actually looks a pretty decent house.
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 8th Sep 17, 8:25 AM
    • 13,931 Posts
    • 37,867 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention

Yes...agreed it looks a pretty reasonable house per se. They've obviously had a gardener in regularly looking after that garden - outdated as it is. One of those houses that would be described as "well-maintained" but "in need of updating"/"put your stamp on it". It would function reasonably well whilst someone waited to get the money together/find suitable workmen to start ripping it apart (not unimportant in the eyes of anyone...ahem...that has bought a house that wouldnt even function/wasnt well-maintained).
    #MeToo

Why should our needs override the needs of all other living species? What makes us so special? (Brigit Strawbridge)
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 8th Sep 17, 8:40 AM
    • 23,546 Posts
    • 89,391 Thanks
    Davesnave
    It would function reasonably well whilst someone waited to get the money together/find suitable workmen to start ripping it apart....
    Originally posted by moneyistooshorttomention
    Was it last week you pulled me up for saying Mr Google was driving the Google car?

So, what's happened to all the 'workwomen' who do this sort of thing in your new, non-sexist language regime?

Just asking.

P.S. I think they might really be 'tradespersons.'
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 8th Sep 17, 8:46 AM
    • 23,546 Posts
    • 89,391 Thanks
    Davesnave
    And a telephone table.

Actually looks a pretty decent house.
    Originally posted by LandyAndy
    Nowhere to sit while one speaks on the phone. Keeps the conversations short and costs down. Very MSE.

Agreed, it's a damn good (ex-local authority?) house. Even faces the right way.
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 8th Sep 17, 9:28 AM
    • 13,931 Posts
    • 37,867 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Was it last week you pulled me up for saying Mr Google was driving the Google car?

So, what's happened to all the 'workwomen' who do this sort of thing in your new, non-sexist language regime?

Just asking.

P.S. I think they might really be 'tradespersons.'
    Whoops...you gotta point Dave.

You've caught me mid-language updating for the 21st century. "Tradespersons" it is. Though, goodness knows, I have yet to come across a woman doing any of the trades around here thus far - so it's always been "workmen" and never "workwomen" since I moved.
    #MeToo

Why should our needs override the needs of all other living species? What makes us so special? (Brigit Strawbridge)
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 8th Sep 17, 9:39 AM
    • 23,546 Posts
    • 89,391 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Locally, we have a lady chimney sweep. There's also someone who advertises decorating and painting who goes under the name of "A Woman's Touch.".....

......Errr, at least I think that's what she does!
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 8th Sep 17, 9:42 AM
    • 13,931 Posts
    • 37,867 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Locally, we have a lady chimney sweep. There's also someone who advertises decorating and painting who goes under the name of "A Woman's Touch.".....

......Errr, at least I think that's what she does!
    ....at the thought of your dear lady wife's likely opinion as to whether you can investigate that more closely or no
    #MeToo

• phoebe1989seb
    • By phoebe1989seb 8th Sep 17, 11:20 AM
    • 3,122 Posts
    • 6,397 Thanks
    phoebe1989seb

I won't post the details, but some people we know just sold a house with a very similar blue suite - and another brightly coloured one. In fact, apart from a 1990s style kitchen, the whole house is a bit of a 1970s time warp.

Not knowing them for long I'd assumed the house had belonged to a deceased parent of theirs - they don't live in it and their own house is ultra modern and very minimal.

I was therefore very surprised to discover it had been their home till about four years ago. Turns out they bought it in the early 1970s (I think they are late sixties age-wise) and modernised what had been a Victorian cottage. To look at it now you'd assume it was built in the 50s/60s.

Seems that apart from the kitchen, they never updated anything further after their original investment, yet they were professionals on high salaries with no kids.......although they do have some very expensive hobbies. I guess they liked it that way and weren't obsessed with decorating like me, lol!

The house is now in such a bad state - unmortgageable - that after over 90 viewings, it's been sold to a developer who plans to knock it down.
    Paid off mortgage early - mortgage-free since age 40 (2007)

Over £40,000 mis-sold PPI reclaimed
    • NicNicP
    • By NicNicP 8th Sep 17, 5:46 PM
    • 221 Posts
    • 121 Thanks
    NicNicP
    Nowhere to sit while one speaks on the phone. Keeps the conversations short and costs down. Very MSE.

Agreed, it's a damn good (ex-local authority?) house. Even faces the right way.
    Yes it is ex local authority.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,298Posts Today

8,946Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Sneaky NAKED photo... ...of the room where many political and regional TV interviews are done. This is before the? https://t.co/fDdeKQOQuU

• The Premium Bond rate is being boosted from 1.15% to 1.4% should you pile in? My analysis... https://t.co/3Q7tjphAFO

• RT @colinjdunn: First #Plevin cheque received this morning - £548.66 from Nationwide & with other claims still outstanding - so thanks @Mar?

• Follow Martin