Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Grimbal
    • By Grimbal 5th Aug 11, 11:16 AM
    • 2,188Posts
    • 3,431Thanks
    Grimbal
    The "have a look at this!" thread II
    • 5th Aug 11, 11:16 AM
    The "have a look at this!" thread II 5th Aug 11 at 11:16 AM
    Official MSE Insert:

Thanks to Grimbal for starting this thread, where compulsive Rightmove browsers share their funniest finds. Scroll down for Playboy mansions, unusual extensions, toilets in wardrobes and mysterious presences under bedcovers.

Back to the original post...

Thought I'd start off a new thread as the other one was getting to be pretty long. The old thread can be found here.

How about starting up a thread dedicated to the interesting properties that we come across in our searches ?

I'm guessing these guys don't invite their granny over to watch TV

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 15-06-2016 at 2:02 PM.
    "Science is a wonderful thing if one does not have to earn one's living at it" Einstein 1951
Page 1083
    • Lokolo
    • By Lokolo 13th Jun 17, 3:45 PM
    • 19,670 Posts
    • 14,675 Thanks
    Lokolo
    It's near the heart of a very nice town- visited it a few days ago. Pretty prosperous, lots of jobs, Great place to buy a house.

But it has the Buckinghamshire secondary school place lottery.
    Originally posted by zagubov
    Yes, I was born and bred there, and still live here 28 years later (I won in the secondary school place lottery luckily).

It has its issues (potholes mainly, and a couple of not so nice areas), but wouldn't want to live anywhere else.
    • LittleMax
    • By LittleMax 13th Jun 17, 3:51 PM
    • 1,241 Posts
    • 1,793 Thanks
    LittleMax
    How odd! I guess that the reception room shown in picture 7 was originally the kitchen, should be the kitchen? But they wanted another reception room so as a result there's now a really small kitchen for a 6-bed house.
    Originally posted by Yoga_cat
    Looks like the front bedroom on the first floor is also being used as a lounge (pic 10)

Ridiculously small galley kitchen for the size of house!
    • fairy lights
    • By fairy lights 15th Jun 17, 1:13 PM
    • 7,828 Posts
    • 25,761 Thanks
    fairy lights
    Sleep tight kids, don't let the killer whale bite
    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-59101135.html
    • Rondon
    • By Rondon 15th Jun 17, 1:25 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Rondon
    Lol i think so too
    • bouicca21
    • By bouicca21 15th Jun 17, 2:19 PM
    • 2,985 Posts
    • 3,656 Thanks
    bouicca21
    To me - it looks like that thing that barely exists on Planet Earth, ie a house where I wouldnt have to change one single thing (bar putting up curtains, as well as those blinds, at some of the windows).
    Funny that. Money sees the perfect house. I see a place meant for show and not for living. White covers on the dining chairs? Am I the only person in the world who knows perfectly well that tomato sauce/curry/wine would be spilled all over them as soon as I moved in?

Nice house, but far too tidy and needs some sploshes of colour (preferably not from the tomato sauce).
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 15th Jun 17, 3:37 PM
    • 22,605 Posts
    • 87,471 Thanks
    Davesnave
    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-66997751.html
    Nice house, but far too tidy and needs some sploshes of colour .
    Originally posted by bouicca21
    My mental map of London is sooo out of date! It wasn't terribly far from there that I looked at a flat and decided the location was too rough...I was practically still in my teens, so not as fussy as I'd be now.

I guess there always were better roads.

The house is pleasant, but when I think what would be available to me locally with £2.3m, it seems rather poor value.
    'A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they'll never sit in.'
    • bouicca21
    • By bouicca21 15th Jun 17, 4:29 PM
    • 2,985 Posts
    • 3,656 Thanks
    bouicca21
    Davesnave, you are well out of date. There are still some dodgy areas round there but that house most definitely isn't in one of them.
    • WeAreGhosts
    • By WeAreGhosts 15th Jun 17, 4:47 PM
    • 2,180 Posts
    • 24,105 Thanks
    WeAreGhosts
    Pics 2 & 14 - scenes of crime officers have left their tent in the garden
    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-56402005.html#
    • ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 15th Jun 17, 6:30 PM
    • 6,804 Posts
    • 12,486 Thanks
    ScarletMarble
    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-48360246.html
    Love the street name!
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 15th Jun 17, 6:35 PM
    • 1,401 Posts
    • 3,501 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    Funny that. Money sees the perfect house. I see a place meant for show and not for living. White covers on the dining chairs? Am I the only person in the world who knows perfectly well that tomato sauce/curry/wine would be spilled all over them as soon as I moved in?

Nice house, but far too tidy and needs some sploshes of colour (preferably not from the tomato sauce).
    Originally posted by bouicca21
    Terrible terrible kitchen for a 6 bed house. I don't think two people could even pass each other in there!
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 15th Jun 17, 6:36 PM
    • 1,401 Posts
    • 3,501 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    Originally posted by WeAreGhosts
    Is it just me or does anybody else think the coffee table in the lounge looks like it's hovering above the carpet?
    • Liz1966
    • By Liz1966 15th Jun 17, 6:45 PM
    • 113 Posts
    • 327 Thanks
    Liz1966
    Originally Posted by WeAreGhosts View Post
    Is it just me or does anybody else think the coffee table in the lounge looks like it's hovering above the carpet?
    And photo 9, presumably they failed in their quest to find their child a completely black duvet cover and have compromised with a flash of pink.
    • Liz1966
    • By Liz1966 15th Jun 17, 6:50 PM
    • 113 Posts
    • 327 Thanks
    Liz1966
    I'm loving this offering from so-called 'Prestige Lettings'
    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/property-48833448.html

If this is the quality of photos from the Prestige branch, I'd hate to see what pictures would come from the Inferior lettings branch.
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 15th Jun 17, 7:24 PM
    • 12,822 Posts
    • 35,202 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Terrible terrible kitchen for a 6 bed house. I don't think two people could even pass each other in there!
    Originally posted by Red-Squirrel
    In a house like that I'd guess that 2 or 3 of the bedrooms aren't being used as bedrooms basically. Say "his and hers studies" would take up two of them and a guest bedroom another one and only 3 of the bedrooms would get used as such basically.

EDIT; Just been back checking and can only spot photos of 3 bedrooms set up as bedrooms.
    Last edited by moneyistooshorttomention; 15-06-2017 at 7:27 PM.
    ploughing my own furrow...the rain begins with a single drop...

#I'mWithNoel
    • Lummoxley
    • By Lummoxley 15th Jun 17, 9:39 PM
    • 111 Posts
    • 301 Thanks
    Lummoxley
    In a house like that I'd guess that 2 or 3 of the bedrooms aren't being used as bedrooms basically. Say "his and hers studies" would take up two of them and a guest bedroom another one and only 3 of the bedrooms would get used as such basically.
    Originally posted by moneyistooshorttomention
    I can't get my head round having multiple living areas for each person. Why?

Oh and picture 5 doesn't bode well storage wise in this.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-58976083.html
    Last edited by Lummoxley; 15-06-2017 at 9:42 PM.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 16th Jun 17, 8:22 AM
    • 22,605 Posts
    • 87,471 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Originally posted by Lummoxley
    In a word 'friction.'

If people don't have much dosh and the bedrooms are all in use, the answer to relationship friction is either an allotment or a shed, or better still, an allotment with a shed. Alternatively, a garage may be the better option for those with greasy rather than green fingers.

Once people are older, or acquire more wealth, infrquently used bedrooms can be commandeered for the individual purposes of the occupants, which might be fiddling with electrical stuff, or doing impossible things with material, all of which is better left out rather than put away.

Alternatives to this arrangement include golf and the WI, but neither of these is a singular activity, which is where fishing, photography or yoga come in.....

Anyway, I suppose it's a return to the days of youth, when "I just want to be alone!!!" was often the cry in an over-oppressive household.

I have a property where I genuinely cannot hear my OH calling me in about 70% of the places I might be. She has a bell. That works in around 80% of the places not reached by the bell, but for those, there's the trusty Acme Thunderer.

OTOH, wind direction has a huge effect on what one can hear out of doors.
    'A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they'll never sit in.'
    • ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 16th Jun 17, 9:42 AM
    • 6,804 Posts
    • 12,486 Thanks
    ScarletMarble
    Originally posted by Lummoxley
    Quite often, this happens. The man has TV in one room for football and other sports he watches. His OH who cannot stand sport watches some other programme in another room.
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 16th Jun 17, 10:19 AM
    • 12,822 Posts
    • 35,202 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    In a word 'friction.'

If people don't have much dosh and the bedrooms are all in use, the answer to relationship friction is either an allotment or a shed, or better still, an allotment with a shed. Alternatively, a garage may be the better option for those with greasy rather than green fingers.

Once people are older, or acquire more wealth, infrquently used bedrooms can be commandeered for the individual purposes of the occupants, which might be fiddling with electrical stuff, or doing impossible things with material, all of which is better left out rather than put away.

Alternatives to this arrangement include golf and the WI, but neither of these is a singular activity, which is where fishing, photography or yoga come in.....

Anyway, I suppose it's a return to the days of youth, when "I just want to be alone!!!" was often the cry in an over-oppressive household.

I have a property where I genuinely cannot hear my OH calling me in about 70% of the places I might be. She has a bell. That works in around 80% of the places not reached by the bell, but for those, there's the trusty Acme Thunderer.

OTOH, wind direction has a huge effect on what one can hear out of doors.
    Originally posted by Davesnave
    Couldnt have put it better myself...

I was mentally running through houses of people I know (ie the children have left home type agegroup). Some examples:

- his and hers studies

- a "home gym" room

- a study and a library

- my own house is small at only 2-bedroom. But 2nd bedroom is a study - as sitting room is big enough for the sofa to fold out into a guest bed for putting up visitors if required and have a dining room set in the room too. I'd like a 3rd bedroom and a conservatory as well. Third bedroom not physically possible. Conservatory will happen when I have the money.

That's the thing - people often have interests/hobbies requiring space (even if they live on their own). Put together 2 people that both have interests/hobbies that require "home space" for them and...
    Last edited by moneyistooshorttomention; 16-06-2017 at 10:22 AM.
    ploughing my own furrow...the rain begins with a single drop...

#I'mWithNoel
    • lea_uk
    • By lea_uk 16th Jun 17, 4:04 PM
    • 113 Posts
    • 107 Thanks
    lea_uk
    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-48808170.html
    The chairs are sitting there like soldiers (pictures 4 and 5).
    • Lummoxley
    • By Lummoxley 17th Jun 17, 1:28 PM
    • 111 Posts
    • 301 Thanks
    Lummoxley
    Well this is "interesting".

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-60429208.html
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

322Posts Today

3,814Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin