Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Grimbal
    • By Grimbal 5th Aug 11, 11:16 AM
    • 2,306Posts
    • 3,431Thanks
    Grimbal
    The "have a look at this!" thread II
    • 5th Aug 11, 11:16 AM
    The "have a look at this!" thread II 5th Aug 11 at 11:16 AM
    Official MSE Insert:

Thanks to Grimbal for starting this thread, where compulsive Rightmove browsers share their funniest finds. Scroll down for Playboy mansions, unusual extensions, toilets in wardrobes and mysterious presences under bedcovers.

Back to the original post...

Thought I'd start off a new thread as the other one was getting to be pretty long. The old thread can be found here.

How about starting up a thread dedicated to the interesting properties that we come across in our searches ?

I'm guessing these guys don't invite their granny over to watch TV

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 15-06-2016 at 2:02 PM.
    "Science is a wonderful thing if one does not have to earn one's living at it" Einstein 1951
Page 1044
    • nkkingston
    • By nkkingston 9th Mar 17, 2:24 PM
    • 381 Posts
    • 413 Thanks
    nkkingston
    Suitable for a single working occupants only not taller than 5.5ft or 170cm.
    ...170cm is about two inches taller than five foot five. Which is it? I'd fit in a 170cm room but not a five foot five one!

(actually, I'm quite impressed at the well designed storage, I wish some of the places I'd rented had been half so well laid out)
    Mortgage
    June 2016: £93,295
    March 2017: £89,650.28
    • zzzzz
    • By zzzzz 9th Mar 17, 2:56 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    zzzzz
    Picture 4 is perfect for a sceance!
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 9th Mar 17, 3:40 PM
    • 1,660 Posts
    • 2,019 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    I see what you mean - but I expect that that is actually a set-in heavy duty glass panel in the floor. Underneath which is a well the cottage used to get its water from or similar. Now meant to be a decorative feature.
    Originally posted by moneyistooshorttomention
    This is a new house built with a thatched roof it isn't an old cottage that has been renovated.
    • clint_S
    • By clint_S 9th Mar 17, 4:31 PM
    • 346 Posts
    • 527 Thanks
    clint_S
    ...170cm is about two inches taller than five foot five. Which is it? I'd fit in a 170cm room but not a five foot five one!

(actually, I'm quite impressed at the well designed storage, I wish some of the places I'd rented had been half so well laid out)
    Originally posted by nkkingston

It took me a while to work out what they had done. If you rely on Google you'll sometimes get bitten. 170cm is close to 5.5ft (closer to 5.6) but not not 5ft 5inches.
    • glasgowdan
    • By glasgowdan 9th Mar 17, 5:55 PM
    • 1,991 Posts
    • 2,105 Thanks
    glasgowdan
    Some interesting sale ad amendments to try and get this one sold. It's been on for most of 2016 under a different ad completely too. I'm just trying to figure out the mindset of the sellers:

Ok, we got a dodgy home report that says we're worth £450k, so let's be sensible and list it at offers over £425k.
    It's been 3 months now... what do we do? Ah, why not bring it down to o/o £389k.
    Hrm... no bites?
    Anyone?
    *months later*
    Reluctantly, let's pop it down to £359k. Maybe we'll get some poor people who like it so much they'll borrow more and buy it.
    Okay, so that didn't work. Maybe a fixed price will help. Let's be sensible and list at £450k.
    Must be a slow market, ok then, offers over £395k, last chance. First to see will buy!!!
    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-61762163.html

Not to mention that every other family home in this region sells within a week usually!
    • ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 9th Mar 17, 10:39 PM
    • 6,065 Posts
    • 11,213 Thanks
    ScarletMarble
    Some interesting sale ad amendments to try and get this one sold. It's been on for most of 2016 under a different ad completely too. I'm just trying to figure out the mindset of the sellers:

Ok, we got a dodgy home report that says we're worth £450k, so let's be sensible and list it at offers over £425k.
    It's been 3 months now... what do we do? Ah, why not bring it down to o/o £389k.
    Hrm... no bites?
    Anyone?
    *months later*
    Reluctantly, let's pop it down to £359k. Maybe we'll get some poor people who like it so much they'll borrow more and buy it.
    Okay, so that didn't work. Maybe a fixed price will help. Let's be sensible and list at £450k.
    Must be a slow market, ok then, offers over £395k, last chance. First to see will buy!!!

Not to mention that every other family home in this region sells within a week usually!
    Originally posted by glasgowdan
    Issues according to me
    . Five bed - just a shower room
    . Awful decor - such as the top wallpaper in pics 7 and 8 - why choose brown when got minty green furniture and the shiny floral wallpaper with red paint below (pic 9)
    • glasgowdan
    • By glasgowdan 9th Mar 17, 11:11 PM
    • 1,991 Posts
    • 2,105 Thanks
    glasgowdan
    It's just priced wrongly. To me (from knowing the area well) it's a £325-350k house.
    • clint_S
    • By clint_S 10th Mar 17, 10:39 AM
    • 346 Posts
    • 527 Thanks
    clint_S

Hrm... no bites?
    Anyone?
    *months later*

Surely this is a four bed not a five bed? And what make a detached house a villa? Looking at houses around the area closer to £350K should be the price
    • martinsurrey
    • By martinsurrey 10th Mar 17, 10:48 AM
    • 2,676 Posts
    • 3,209 Thanks
    martinsurrey
    And what make a detached house a villa?
    Originally posted by clint_S
    A pretentious owner.

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/villa
    • Rain Shadow
    • By Rain Shadow 10th Mar 17, 11:11 AM
    • 1,648 Posts
    • 2,889 Thanks
    Rain Shadow
    Surely this is a four bed not a five bed? And what make a detached house a villa? Looking at houses around the area closer to £350K should be the price
    Originally posted by clint_S

Being located in Scotland. It's a common description there.
    You can pick your friends and you can pick your nose but you can't pick your friend's nose.
    • Fuzzyness
    • By Fuzzyness 10th Mar 17, 2:49 PM
    • 600 Posts
    • 439 Thanks
    Fuzzyness

Hrm... no bites?
    Anyone?
    *months later*

i put it down to the questionable wall paper in pics 7 and 9.
    • GDB2222
    • By GDB2222 10th Mar 17, 2:58 PM
    • 13,468 Posts
    • 71,734 Thanks
    GDB2222
    i put it down to the questionable wall paper in pics 7 and 9.
    Originally posted by Fuzzyness
    Quite difficult to steam off. So, you'd need to adjust the valuation to allow for that.
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 10th Mar 17, 4:43 PM
    • 1,660 Posts
    • 2,019 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-44704503.html Mayor's bathroom?
    • GDB2222
    • By GDB2222 10th Mar 17, 6:33 PM
    • 13,468 Posts
    • 71,734 Thanks
    GDB2222
    Another house I really like. You guys are totally ace at picking them!
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
    • ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 10th Mar 17, 9:11 PM
    • 6,065 Posts
    • 11,213 Thanks
    ScarletMarble
    I think they should have hidden the bottles of Ribina and Robinsons squash in the drinks cabinet
    • Lummoxley
    • By Lummoxley 10th Mar 17, 11:18 PM
    • 95 Posts
    • 251 Thanks
    Lummoxley
    I know, I'll spend a fortune on an extension but not spend a couple of thousand moving the stairs to actually make the space work.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-65129051.html

Pic 6, I suppose you could get a smart car into that garage.
    • bazzyb
    • By bazzyb 10th Mar 17, 11:20 PM
    • 934 Posts
    • 3,110 Thanks
    bazzyb
    No words needed...
    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-47152188.html
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 11th Mar 17, 7:17 AM
    • 12,006 Posts
    • 32,731 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    I know, I'll spend a fortune on an extension but not spend a couple of thousand moving the stairs to actually make the space work.

Originally posted by Lummoxley
    Ye gods.

That extension is out of all proportion. All round it looks like a "beds in sheds" house. I'd feel I had to make a start on it by knocking down the extension completely.
    Thought for the day - don't condemn someone for doing something you are going to turn round and do tomorrow yourself.

Working out what celebratory meal to have on 29 March...
    • jimbog
    • By jimbog 11th Mar 17, 7:42 AM
    • 505 Posts
    • 830 Thanks
    jimbog
    Picture 12 sells it for me
    The problem with quotations on the internet is that you can never verify their authenticity - Abraham Lincoln
    • glasgowdan
    • By glasgowdan 11th Mar 17, 7:43 AM
    • 1,991 Posts
    • 2,105 Thanks
    glasgowdan

Originally posted by Lummoxley
    A 6 bed house at 1200ft2?

Looks like a 3 bed house to me anyway.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

140Posts Today

1,121Users online

Martin's Twitter