Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Techie Stuff > does a freeview box need an outside aerial (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
does a freeview box need an outside aerial
Closed Thread
Views: 3,965
# 1
jenniferone
Old 03-01-2007, 3:34 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default does a freeview box need an outside aerial

Hi, I had my outside aerial taken down because I am on cable and now someone has bought me a freeview box for christmas. Is there anyway of setting it up without an outside aerial please. Any help would be appreciated

thanks
jennifer
Jennifer
# 2
MadCowMan
Old 03-01-2007, 3:43 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

you can fit an aerial into your loft.
other than that I understand most 'set-top'aerials just dont have enough gain to pick up a clear freeview signal. Unless you live right next to a transmitter that is....
The Following User Says Thank You to MadCowMan For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
Avoriaz
Old 03-01-2007, 3:44 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

It depends on how strong the signal is in your area. How far from the transmitter are you?

You might be lucky and get good reception with an indoor aerial but I think most locations need a decent rooftop or loft aerial.

Ask at a local TV shop. They should be able to advise you.
The Following User Says Thank You to Avoriaz For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
pennylane99
Old 03-01-2007, 3:47 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

was going to ditch Sky, but even my outside aerial wasnt good enough to pick up freeview in this area...so am stuck with Sky.
# 5
rjm2k1
Old 03-01-2007, 3:56 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennylane99
was going to ditch Sky, but even my outside aerial wasnt good enough to pick up freeview in this area...so am stuck with Sky.
You can always ditch your sky package, buy a cheap sat box and get a sky viewing card to pick up the free but encrypted channels. Lidl have these boxes occasionally for 30-40 quid and I think maplins sell them too. If sky don't want their box back, then it would be even cheaper. You don't get all of the terrestrial freeview channels tho.
# 6
Edinburghlass
Old 03-01-2007, 4:03 PM

I'm in a good signal area and operate two freeview boxes with just inside aerials at a fiver from Tesco.
Martin has asked me to tell you that I'm the Board Guide of the Telephones, Reclaim Bank Charges, Silver Savers and Scotland boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and I can move and merge threads there. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Board guides don't deal with this. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
The Following User Says Thank You to Edinburghlass For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
theCapt
Old 03-01-2007, 4:24 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

In short you don't need an outside aerial but you'll get a better reception if you do.

Also using a bigger aerial means you get a better reception.

A case of bigger is better.
Scottish proverb - "Never drink whisky with water and never drink water without whisky"
# 8
islandman
Old 03-01-2007, 4:31 PM

Thanks Edinburgh Lass,I've just had a call from my daughter who has today arrived at her new base (Forces) and without a mains aerial to connect to, has had to use her indoor aerial and seemingly is unable to access Freeview with it. I've checked her postcode and she is in a good area, so maybe you can remember the name of the aerial you bought from Tesco? was it one that had been recommeded or was it luck ?.
# 9
Edinburghlass
Old 03-01-2007, 4:38 PM

Can't remember the name of it sorry but I had bought one and I know it cost a fiver then last year some time Tesco did a student pack which included a scart lead, the same aerial and a four gang extention cable and I bought that pack when it was reduced to something ridiculous like 2.50.

Good thing about Tesco is your daughter can buy an aerial and if it doesn't work she can take it back and they will refund.

But.... when I used a freeview box at the caravan I never got good reception where vans next to me did but I had a blinking great tree nearby so it could be that all indoor aerials will be the same for your daughter.
Martin has asked me to tell you that I'm the Board Guide of the Telephones, Reclaim Bank Charges, Silver Savers and Scotland boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and I can move and merge threads there. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Board guides don't deal with this. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
The Following User Says Thank You to Edinburghlass For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
Fruitcake
Old 03-01-2007, 5:03 PM

Apparently you still get all the Freeview channels using your Skybox, even after you have unsubscribed. This was posted by another MSEer several months ago but I have not tried it myself. Perhaps someone else can confirm this.
I can't get Sky at the moment for some unknown reason........here in Ohio. Adverts every 7 minutes....can I go home now please?

Fruitcake

You Only Listen To Me When I'm Wrong
# 11
moonrakerz
Old 03-01-2007, 6:03 PM

There is so much confusion and misunderstanding about freeview ................

1. To pick up any terrestrial television you need an aerial.

2. The sort/size of aerial depends on the signal strength in your area. Can vary from a piece of "wet string" to a 100 high gain antenna.

3. At the moment you need a much better aerial for digital than you do for analogue. When analogue is switched off, the signal for digital will be increased. So the the aerial that you have now - which isn't good enough now - might be good enough then. (you couldn't make this up, could you ?)

4. Even though the web site says you are in a "good" area, that doesn't mean that YOU will get a good picture. All it needs it a building, a small hill or even some trees to be in the way .................

5. Talk to a local TV aerial installer - he will know the area.
# 12
irisrose
Old 04-01-2007, 11:52 AM

I got in laws a freeview box for christmas can get the programmes but they only appear as black and white any ideas
# 13
Syman
Old 04-01-2007, 12:03 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by irisrose
I got in laws a freeview box for christmas can get the programmes but they only appear as black and white any ideas
sounds like a dodgy scart lead.
# 14
morganb
Old 04-01-2007, 12:21 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

We got our freeview box working using the following indoor aerial :

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...er/5343243.htm

It needs a power socket to work and the reception is good

I don't think we are in a particularly strong signal area so it's worth giving it a try and taking it back to Argos within 16 days if you have no joy
That's Numberwang!
# 15
Jet
Old 04-01-2007, 12:23 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I'm in an area where (apparently) we can't get freeview. I've had a freeview box for over a year now. Very occassionally, the signal is a bit weak and the picture will be a bit hit and miss but 99% of the time, it's fine.

I do have a good outside aerial though.
The fragrance always stays in the hand that gives the rose.
# 16
cookie_monster
Old 04-01-2007, 1:08 PM
MoneySaving Convert

i bought one of those USB freeview things for the pc and i am using one of those simple wire aerials shaped ina circle at my window. i tried using the roof aerial and it infact did not find as many channels. so in essence the small piece of wire is betetr than the roof aerial :O

personally i think its just luck of the draw my mum+dad have bought many aerials all with fancy amplifiers and what not and none seem to work that well
# 17
irisrose
Old 04-01-2007, 1:46 PM

I have tried my in laws freeview box on my TV with same scart lead it works ok here so it must be the ariel at the in laws
# 18
Little John
Old 04-01-2007, 2:00 PM

We live under winterhill transmitter pretty much and the outdoor aerial was worse than the portable ones, we did buy amplifiers for them and it made the pictures far better.
# 19
bigbrummygirl
Old 04-01-2007, 2:17 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Send a message via Yahoo to bigbrummygirl

i have freeview and have a perfect picture using an indoor arial from the pound shop.
reach for the moon because even if you miss you will still be a star!
# 20
dickibobboy
Old 04-01-2007, 2:51 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

me too. i am in a strong area and can get all channels good quality most of the time with a poundland arial.

Lets put this right with sky

If you cancell sky they wont ask for your box back. So there is no need to go out and buy a new satellite box and a card(if you did the card would not work and it is only used for channel 4/5 and sky3)

You will get all the channels listed on www.freesatfromsky.com you cannot get all the channels from freeview on freesat which includes E4 there are not many you cant get but there is alot more choice on freesat and you dont have to pay anything for it.

does that help?
Things that are free in life are great, well most of the time
The Following User Says Thank You to dickibobboy For This Useful Post: Show me >>
Closed Thread