Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Phones & TV > TV MoneySaving > Sky charging when phone line not connected (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Sky charging when phone line not connected
Closed Thread
Views: 3,889
# 1
rubyrara
Old 29-07-2011, 8:36 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Sky charging when phone line not connected

Has anyone heard of Sky (customers using Sky+) charging the full subscription rate when an active phone line is not connected?

Have heard from a few colleagues that they are starting to get bills through for the full Sky subscritpiton per month when an phone line is not connected (ie movies, sports, mutiroom when they do not have these packages - some guys have to pay up to 132 per month until phone line reconnected). Apparently it's in the terms and conditions as Sky then can't provide the full service if no phone line.

I haven't had my phone line connected for a few months now as I didnt want the tempatation of box office. And I thought they were maybe using it to observe what and when I was watching TV.
# 2
jamespir
Old 29-07-2011, 8:42 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubyrara View Post
Has anyone heard of Sky (customers using Sky+) charging the full subscription rate when an active phone line is not connected?

Have heard from a few colleagues that they are starting to get bills through for the full Sky subscritpiton per month when an phone line is not connected (ie movies, sports, mutiroom when they do not have these packages - some guys have to pay up to 132 per month until phone line reconnected). Apparently it's in the terms and conditions as Sky then can't provide the full service if no phone line.

I haven't had my phone line connected for a few months now as I didnt want the tempatation of box office. And I thought they were maybe using it to observe what and when I was watching TV.
sorry but thats complete tosh the highest price you can pay is 82 pounds what they usually do is charge you 25 quid once
Replies to posts are always welcome, If I have made a mistake in the post, I am human, tell me nicely and it will be corrected. If your reply cannot be nice, has an underlying issue, or you believe that you are God, please post in another forum. Thank you
# 3
macman
Old 29-07-2011, 9:32 AM

Yes, contractually you need to have the box connected to your phone line for the first 12m of your contract. However Sky do not enforce this policy unless you have Multiroom, in which case the line must be permanently connected in order to allow the boxes to make the callbacks.
No free lunch, and no free laptop
The Following User Says Thank You to macman For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
mrs2fat
Old 31-07-2011, 1:43 PM
MoneySaving Convert

hope someone here can help me.
ive had sky for over 8 years and ive never ha a phone line plugged in.
ive had multi room for about 3 of those. the last 2 months sky have charged me an extra 41.65 per month for not having the phone line plugged in.
we moved house in april so an engineer was here then, never mentioned the phone line at all, and he saw we had the 2 boxes in our house as he reconnected them.
sky are telling me they have to send an engineer to come round to install the phone lines, to get the proof (which theyve already got) before i can get my 83.30 refund, but the engineer visit will cost me about 62 quid.

i am losing my rag with them on the phone at the moment, any ideas?
my 'u' btton is broked :rolleyes:
# 5
Cypherite
Old 31-07-2011, 1:56 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs2fat View Post
hope someone here can help me.
ive had sky for over 8 years and ive never ha a phone line plugged in.
ive had multi room for about 3 of those. the last 2 months sky have charged me an extra 41.65 per month for not having the phone line plugged in.
we moved house in april so an engineer was here then, never mentioned the phone line at all, and he saw we had the 2 boxes in our house as he reconnected them.
sky are telling me they have to send an engineer to come round to install the phone lines, to get the proof (which theyve already got) before i can get my 83.30 refund, but the engineer visit will cost me about 62 quid.

i am losing my rag with them on the phone at the moment, any ideas?
I'd write a complaint as that isn't right. When the boxes were reconnected the Sky engineer should have installed a phone point if there wasn't one. This is what happened when we had more boxes installed. If he didn't do that on the first visit, and they have to send an engineer again, then it should be at their expense and not yours.

http://www.sky.com/helpcentre/complaints-code
The Following User Says Thank You to Cypherite For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
mrs2fat
Old 31-07-2011, 2:11 PM
MoneySaving Convert

thanks, email has been sent.
i could maybe understand if i hadnt seen anyone from sky in years, but seeing as an engineer was here in april and it wasnt done by him, why should i pay?
my 'u' btton is broked :rolleyes:
# 7
macman
Old 31-07-2011, 6:54 PM

Why don't you just plug your own boxes in-you don't need an engineer to do that, just use a trailing extension cable.
# 8
Mark_In_Hampshire
Old 02-08-2011, 2:52 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

When we had Sky once the engineer tried connecting it to the (dreadful quality) phone line and in the end left it unplugged as it didn't work.

About 5 years after we cancelled the whole thing (yes, really) I was pursued by a debt collection agency for 75 for not having it connected to the phone line. However I'd modified the contract when I returned it, striking those parts through and adding a covering note, so I told them where to go and the letters stopped in the end.

However on a technicality, the requirement was for the box to be connected to the phone line. Even if it were, it would not have been able to make callouts, because the phone line was in use 24/7 on an unlimited dial up internet package and so was permenantly engaged.

So playing devil's advocate there's a difference between the box being connected to the phone line, and the box being able to make those callouts and perhaps the customer can invite Sky round to demonstrate the box is indeed connected to the phone line regardless of whether they see the callbacks at their end.
# 9
HiTo
Old 02-08-2011, 7:46 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I recently moved, sky didn't install phone line in new house, I don't have multi room.
# 10
macman
Old 03-08-2011, 8:30 AM

Sky engineers don't install phone lines, that is done by BT Openreach.
# 11
tango
Old 28-08-2011, 8:43 AM

been charged this extra in last two months,I have multiroom and was told its in the small print ? They will refund when we connect each box to a phone line...
Obstacles are things a person sees when he takes his eyes off his goal.
# 12
tango
Old 28-08-2011, 8:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamespir View Post
sorry but thats complete tosh the highest price you can pay is 82 pounds what they usually do is charge you 25 quid once
err you are wrong
The Following User Says Thank You to tango For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
spike7451
Old 28-08-2011, 9:02 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamespir View Post
No...they charge the full price of the mirror subscription on the main box,so if you have the basic channels,you'll be charged whatever the cost of the package is on the main box.If you have the movies & sports as well,then you'll be charged that price ect less HD sub if the second box is non HD in both cases.I'd been to enough faults when I was with Sky to know.

It's part of the dish monkeys job to run a phone extension to all the boxes in the home unless it's a single box which the customer has been with Sky for over a year & therfore out of the initial contract.
I was asked once when on a multiroom install not to install the phoneline,I advised the customer what would happen & made him up a long lead just in case he got a letter from Sky,also advised him to get homeplugs.IIRC he was decorating & was going to run the cable behind the skirting.
# 14
afc80
Old 28-08-2011, 11:18 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I have a multi room subscription. The box has never been linked to
a phone line and i have had multi room for over 8 years.

I dont think they police this multi room thing as surely i would have received a letter re this from them?
# 15
tango
Old 28-08-2011, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc80 View Post
I have a multi room subscription. The box has never been linked to
a phone line and i have had multi room for over 8 years.

I dont think they police this multi room thing as surely i would have received a letter re this from them?
I too have had multi room for a while now and have never had all connected to a phoneline . Sky said they are 'cracking down' whooooo whoooo
# 16
LindyLooLoo
Old 28-08-2011, 6:03 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Sky Multiroom

We have had Sky for over 15 years and have never ever left the phone connected, not even in the first year. We have moved three times and still not plugged the phone line in. For the last three years we have had multi room as well and never had this plugged into a phone line either. Twice in the last five years we have plugged in the phone line but that was because my husband wanted to watch the boxing on pay per view, soon as it was over unplugged. My daughter has now moved out and has taken the sky multiroom box and viewing card with her and it is now working perfectly in her house. What difference does it make if she watches it in her bedroom at our house or in her own house? She hasnt got a landline phone at her house either so it would be really expensive for her as she would have to have a BT line and monthly line rental etc, she can't afford that!
# 17
macman
Old 28-08-2011, 7:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindyLooLoo View Post
We have had Sky for over 15 years and have never ever left the phone connected, not even in the first year. We have moved three times and still not plugged the phone line in. For the last three years we have had multi room as well and never had this plugged into a phone line either. Twice in the last five years we have plugged in the phone line but that was because my husband wanted to watch the boxing on pay per view, soon as it was over unplugged. My daughter has now moved out and has taken the sky multiroom box and viewing card with her and it is now working perfectly in her house. What difference does it make if she watches it in her bedroom at our house or in her own house? She hasnt got a landline phone at her house either so it would be really expensive for her as she would have to have a BT line and monthly line rental etc, she can't afford that!
Because you are only paying for one subscription, so she 's committing fraud (or rather you are, if the contract is in your name) and is in breach of the T&C's.
She doesn't need a landline to have a Sky subscription, yoy can buy out that option for 20 when you sign up (unless you want Multi-room).
Multi-room means what it says-Multi-room, not Multi-house.

Last edited by macman; 29-08-2011 at 1:00 PM.
# 18
TheTruthMachine
Old 29-08-2011, 12:58 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
She hasnt got a landline phone at her house either so it would be really expensive for her as she would have to have a BT line and monthly line rental etc, she can't afford that!
As is often said on this website, if she can't afford a luxury she can go without. Sky is a luxury
# 19
Tropez
Old 29-08-2011, 1:31 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Quote:
She hasnt got a landline phone at her house either so it would be really expensive for her as she would have to have a BT line and monthly line rental etc, she can't afford that!
I really want a Porsche 911 Turbo. I can't really afford one but by your logic it would be okay for me to commit fraud in order to obtain one.

Your logic, however, is flawed.

Sky may not aggressively enforce their policy about boxes being connected but it does get enforced and people do get letters. Hopefully, they will catch on to you soon.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tropez For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 20
TheTruthMachine
Old 29-08-2011, 5:02 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropez View Post
I really want a Porsche 911 Turbo. I can't really afford one but by your logic it would be okay for me to commit fraud in order to obtain one.

Your logic, however, is flawed.

Sky may not aggressively enforce their policy about boxes being connected but it does get enforced and people do get letters. Hopefully, they will catch on to you soon.
I hope they bill her for both subscriptions aswell.
Closed Thread