Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > In my home (includes DIY) MoneySaving > How do I Calculate Volume of Water in my Central ... (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
How do I Calculate Volume of Water in my Central Heating System?
Closed Thread
Views: 6,465
# 1
hollie.weimeraner
Old 01-01-2007, 11:54 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Default How do I Calculate Volume of Water in my Central Heating System?

I have just had a radiator spring a leak and will be replacing it with a new one. Unfortunately the feed and return are both contained in the same valve which has a copper feed tube inserted into the Rad. In order to replace the radiator I am now having to drain the system and fit standard valves to it. While I'm doing this I may as well clean and flush the system (which isn't badly sludged) but need to calculate how much cleanser is needed (1% solution).

Anyone know how to calculate the volume of water please? System has 10mm pipework and 11 radiators and is installed in a detached 4 bedroomed house.
# 2
BobProperty
Old 01-01-2007, 1:07 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

My immediate reaction is you don't need to. Most chemical cleaners are designed / formulated that one container worth is sufficient without overdosing in a small system and enough for a typical larger system. I'll go and look it up now.
A house isn't a home without a cat.
Those are my principles. If you don't like them, I have others.
I have writer's block - I can't begin to tell you about it.
You told me again you preferred handsome men but for me you would make an exception.
It's a recession when your neighbour loses his job; it's a depression when you lose yours.
The Following User Says Thank You to BobProperty For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
hollie.weimeraner
Old 01-01-2007, 1:26 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobProperty
My immediate reaction is you don't need to. Most chemical cleaners are designed / formulated that one container worth is sufficient without overdosing in a small system and enough for a typical larger system. I'll go and look it up now.
Thanks - it's just that the cleansing solution is in a 1 litre container which doesn't seem a great deal to me
# 4
espresso
Old 01-01-2007, 1:36 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollie.weimeraner
Thanks - it's just that the cleansing solution is in a 1 litre container which doesn't seem a great deal to me
It is concentrated. On the 1L Sentinel container, it states that it should be sufficient for a typical central heating system i.e. 100 litres.
The Following User Says Thank You to espresso For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
BobProperty
Old 01-01-2007, 1:42 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

DS-40 is the only one I can immediately spot that needs a calculation to work out how much to use. But then you shouldn't be using DS-40 in your situation. (you said the radiator was leaking, plus you have very old style double entry valves)
Which product have you got?
A house isn't a home without a cat.
Those are my principles. If you don't like them, I have others.
I have writer's block - I can't begin to tell you about it.
You told me again you preferred handsome men but for me you would make an exception.
It's a recession when your neighbour loses his job; it's a depression when you lose yours.
# 6
hollie.weimeraner
Old 01-01-2007, 1:52 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I have removed the radiator already as it had developed a fracture (on the rear unfortunately). Not sure whether you're referring to the heating system or cleanser when you mention what product have I got.

I haven't got the cleanser at the moment but was looking at Sentinel which Plumb Centre sell in 1 litre bottles. (On the website it does mention a 1% solution which as stated above is suitable for 100 litres) I have used fernox or ferinox in the past as an inhibitor which seems to have kept the system pretty clean.

It's not a great problem to replace the old double entry valves, just inconvenient really

Last edited by hollie.weimeraner; 01-01-2007 at 1:58 PM.
# 7
orainsear
Old 01-01-2007, 1:54 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

What is the name of the product that you have bought?

Edit: Just noticed your post. For a system of the size you have described, if you are using the Sentinel X400 it would be recommended to use the full 1 litre.

Last edited by orainsear; 01-01-2007 at 2:00 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to orainsear For This Useful Post: Show me >>
Closed Thread