Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • hollie.weimeraner
    • By hollie.weimeraner 1st Jan 07, 11:54 AM
    • 1,182Posts
    • 676Thanks
    hollie.weimeraner
    How do I Calculate Volume of Water in my Central Heating System?
    • 1st Jan 07, 11:54 AM
    How do I Calculate Volume of Water in my Central Heating System? 1st Jan 07 at 11:54 AM
    I have just had a radiator spring a leak and will be replacing it with a new one. Unfortunately the feed and return are both contained in the same valve which has a copper feed tube inserted into the Rad. In order to replace the radiator I am now having to drain the system and fit standard valves to it. While I'm doing this I may as well clean and flush the system (which isn't badly sludged) but need to calculate how much cleanser is needed (1% solution).

Anyone know how to calculate the volume of water please? System has 10mm pipework and 11 radiators and is installed in a detached 4 bedroomed house.
Page 1
  • BobProperty
    • 1st Jan 07, 1:07 PM
    • 1st Jan 07, 1:07 PM
    My immediate reaction is you don't need to. Most chemical cleaners are designed / formulated that one container worth is sufficient without overdosing in a small system and enough for a typical larger system. I'll go and look it up now.
    A house isn't a home without a cat.
    Those are my principles. If you don't like them, I have others.
    I have writer's block - I can't begin to tell you about it.
    You told me again you preferred handsome men but for me you would make an exception.
    It's a recession when your neighbour loses his job; it's a depression when you lose yours.
    • hollie.weimeraner
    • By hollie.weimeraner 1st Jan 07, 1:26 PM
    • 1,182 Posts
    • 676 Thanks
    hollie.weimeraner
    • 1st Jan 07, 1:26 PM
    • 1st Jan 07, 1:26 PM
    My immediate reaction is you don't need to. Most chemical cleaners are designed / formulated that one container worth is sufficient without overdosing in a small system and enough for a typical larger system. I'll go and look it up now.
    by BobProperty
    Thanks - it's just that the cleansing solution is in a 1 litre container which doesn't seem a great deal to me
  • espresso
    • 1st Jan 07, 1:36 PM
    • 1st Jan 07, 1:36 PM
    Thanks - it's just that the cleansing solution is in a 1 litre container which doesn't seem a great deal to me
    by hollie.weimeraner
    It is concentrated. On the 1L Sentinel container, it states that it should be sufficient for a typical central heating system i.e. 100 litres.
  • BobProperty
    • 1st Jan 07, 1:42 PM
    • 1st Jan 07, 1:42 PM
    DS-40 is the only one I can immediately spot that needs a calculation to work out how much to use. But then you shouldn't be using DS-40 in your situation. (you said the radiator was leaking, plus you have very old style double entry valves)
    Which product have you got?
    A house isn't a home without a cat.
    Those are my principles. If you don't like them, I have others.
    I have writer's block - I can't begin to tell you about it.
    You told me again you preferred handsome men but for me you would make an exception.
    It's a recession when your neighbour loses his job; it's a depression when you lose yours.
    • hollie.weimeraner
    • By hollie.weimeraner 1st Jan 07, 1:52 PM
    • 1,182 Posts
    • 676 Thanks
    hollie.weimeraner
    • 1st Jan 07, 1:52 PM
    • 1st Jan 07, 1:52 PM
    I have removed the radiator already as it had developed a fracture (on the rear unfortunately). Not sure whether you're referring to the heating system or cleanser when you mention what product have I got.

I haven't got the cleanser at the moment but was looking at Sentinel which Plumb Centre sell in 1 litre bottles. (On the website it does mention a 1% solution which as stated above is suitable for 100 litres) I have used fernox or ferinox in the past as an inhibitor which seems to have kept the system pretty clean.

It's not a great problem to replace the old double entry valves, just inconvenient really
    Last edited by hollie.weimeraner; 01-01-2007 at 1:58 PM.
  • orainsear
    • 1st Jan 07, 1:54 PM
    • 1st Jan 07, 1:54 PM
    What is the name of the product that you have bought?

Edit: Just noticed your post. For a system of the size you have described, if you are using the Sentinel X400 it would be recommended to use the full 1 litre.
    Last edited by orainsear; 01-01-2007 at 2:00 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

64Posts Today

2,577Users online

Martin's Twitter