Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Work & Benefits > Benefits & Tax Credits > Do they DWP have access to my accounts? (Page 2)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Do they DWP have access to my accounts?
Closed Thread
Views: 31,063
# 21
sandraroffey
Old 26-07-2011, 5:30 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

oh dear oh dear oh dear. think they dont want to say!!!!!

doesnt all this cloak and dagger stuff ALWAYS come back and bite you on the bum?????
The Following User Says Thank You to sandraroffey For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 22
robpw2
Old 26-07-2011, 5:32 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Send a message via MSN to robpw2 Send a message via Yahoo to robpw2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentguy07 View Post
1. that is a un directive not an english act of parliment .
2. its from wikipedia so does not nesscarily have to have any factual basis whatsoever

you may as well have quoted the law according to the daily mail

Slimming world start 28/01/2012 starting weight 21st 2.5lb current weight 17st 9-total loss 3st 7.5lb
Slimmer of the month February , March ,April
The Following User Says Thank You to robpw2 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 23
redz
Old 26-07-2011, 5:32 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Shoes No Knickers View Post
Authorised Officers do not need a court order my love. If you have a look at the Social Security Fraud Act (2001?) it's all in there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceecee1 View Post
An earlier poster was almost correct - Yes the DWP and HMRC data match bank accounts with benefit claims.
Sorry I'm a little drunk

Reasonable grounds
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to redz For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 24
rubys mummy
Old 26-07-2011, 5:38 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by lejito View Post
Hi,

I have just received a letter from the DWP asking me to go throw an under caution interview because they think there is a possibility of fraud on my benefits.

I am getting housing and council tax benefit at the moment.
When i claim the benefits i omitted telling them about all my bank accounts, i only told them about one but i hold two, plus some money in an e-account.

My fear is if they now that.
Can they have access to my details or am i protected by the privacy law?

I am very worried of course at the moment and i would apreciate any advise.

Thanks
hi, i have just been under investigation from the DWP thanks to someone making untrue allegations about me

i received a letter asking me to go in and be interviewed under caution, however they came out to me as i'm agraphobic

two officers turned up with all the tape machines etc, and asked me all sorts of questions, and then they showed me all my bank statements, asking me what various credits/debits were, so yes....they CAN and DO get hold of your statements

i just told them the truth...that yes i had 3 bank accounts but 2 of them hadnt even been used in years because i'd totally forgotten about them, and i could account for everything that had gone thru my account

they dragged it out for 6 weeks, where i knew i'd done absolutely nothing wrong, but you are still made to feel like you have

if you've got nothing to hide, then you honestly have nothing to worry about, even tho they'll make you feel like you have, and they WILL tell you what allegations have been made against you to prompt their investigation....in my case it was a so called friend who just wanted to hurt me because i'd lent them some money, and then i'd had the cheek to ask for it back....but thats bytheby......in my case, they could have done all their investigations without even coming to interview me, and seen i wasnt doing anything untoward

yes, its really frightening and worrying, but like the others have said, if you've done nothing wrong, then you wnt be in any trouble
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rubys mummy For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 25
NickyBat
Old 26-07-2011, 5:46 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

One would think you are "very worried" because you know you have been less than truthfull with them.

Why by your own admission did you omit to tell them about the other accounts?, is it because you knew the amounts in the other accounts was way over the limit?

You posted wanting advice but haven't even been bothered to come back and update!!!!!!!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to NickyBat For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 26
DX2
Old 26-07-2011, 5:51 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentguy07 View Post
Yeah its called your mum
You can always tell when the school's break up for holidays.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DX2 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 27
davefrombristol
Old 26-07-2011, 5:51 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Are you sure that the DWP can access your Bank Account to view transactions without your permission or a court order?

If that was me then I would complain and question whether the DWP officers have acted illegally.

The DWP have access to information shared by HMRC - HMRC have the information regarding accounts - name, address, and importantly - interest payments ( in april ) as the Bank sends this information. The Bank don't release your statements to HMRC and certainly not to DWP unless a court order impels them to do so.

Credit Reference Agencies have no idea what your balance is anyway. They can release contact details/information given on forms etc - they have no access to individual transactions in your current account.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to davefrombristol For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 28
aveylee
Old 26-07-2011, 6:08 PM
MoneySaving Convert

About 8 years ago I was a DWP Fraud Officer. Jobcentre staff don't have access to your bank details. However a Fraud officer upon receipt of an allegation can make a Section 29(3) DPA request to the bank, and obtain all your baking details.

In fact this was a fairly routine activity in fraud investigations. Most times nothing would be found and the suspect would never know someone looked at their accounts. However if something was found that raised suspicions then an interview would be arranged.

On a side point I found about 90% of benefit fraud allegations were unfounded (not the same as innocent!), but there was no evidence to proceed.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to aveylee For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 29
kentguy07
Old 26-07-2011, 6:12 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceecee1 View Post
Hmm - the right to Housing.....not the right to Housing Benefit.

An earlier poster was almost correct - Yes the DWP and HMRC data match bank accounts with benefit claims.

The DWP then have a right to demand from the bank (without a court order) under the Social Security Act copies of all bank statements and details of any payments made into those accounts
Same thing. It falls under your right to housing. Without housing benefit how is your right to housing being secured?
Happy Lolliday Marf
# 30
davefrombristol
Old 26-07-2011, 6:13 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Well I am convinceds that they cannot access your bank account without a court order.

They will at an IUC interview ask you to obtain the statements - If you decline/refuse to assist then they will ask you to sign a form allowing them to access specified accounts that they will inform you that they are aware of. If you refuse to sign the form they will go ahead and obtain a court order to obtain them.

They are not permitted to just access anyones account - Just like that.

Why do you think they do data matching to discover undeclared accounts ? If they could simply contact your bank and get the statements showing capital.
# 31
xXMessedUpXx
Old 26-07-2011, 6:20 PM

Quote:
That kentguy07 man has sent me a rude message. Should I tell someone about it? I'm not going to reply to him, horrid man.
I think there was a way to report pm's..click on the report button on the PM
"Life Is Like A Beautiful Melody Only The Lyrics Are Messed Up"
To see the rainbow you need both the sun and the rain to make its colours appear
weight lost: 14lbs
The Following User Says Thank You to xXMessedUpXx For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 32
robpw2
Old 26-07-2011, 6:20 PM

Send a message via MSN to robpw2 Send a message via Yahoo to robpw2

Quote:
That kentguy07 man has sent me a rude message. Should I tell someone about it? I'm not going to reply to him, horrid man.
report it to abuse in bottom corner of his message

Slimming world start 28/01/2012 starting weight 21st 2.5lb current weight 17st 9-total loss 3st 7.5lb
Slimmer of the month February , March ,April
The Following User Says Thank You to robpw2 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 33
davefrombristol
Old 26-07-2011, 6:24 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Show me the relevant section of the Act instead of coming out with statements that are wrong.

If they have reason to believe that you arfe hiding cash in an account then I agree you have no means of stopping them from obtaining access.

A process has to take place where you either consent ( usually at the interview stage ) or they will obtain a court order - but to obtain a court order you have to be made aware that they are going through that process.

They dont just rummage through anyones account and on the 12th one they strike lucky !! its not a game
# 34
redz
Old 26-07-2011, 6:29 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by davefrombristol View Post
Show me the relevant section of the Act instead of coming out with statements that are wrong.

If they have reason to believe that you arfe hiding cash in an account then I agree you have no means of stopping them from obtaining access.

A process has to take place where you either consent ( usually at the interview stage ) or they will obtain a court order - but to obtain a court order you have to be made aware that they are going through that process.

They dont just rummage through anyones account and on the 12th one they strike lucky !! its not a game
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2001/11/contents

Section 1

Lol Beaten by a minute.

Last edited by redz; 26-07-2011 at 6:30 PM. Reason: Too slow
The Following User Says Thank You to redz For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 35
skintandscared
Old 26-07-2011, 7:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nannytone View Post
Red Shoes No Knickers .............. are you sure you aren't a reincarnation of Claire Rayner? lol
I think that every time I read her posts ... but she grows on you
DMP Mutual Support Thread member 244
Quit smoking 13/05/2013
Joined Slimming World 02/12/13. Loss so far = 60lb in 28 weeks 18lb to go
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to skintandscared For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 36
make me wise
Old 26-07-2011, 7:31 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Bad day deary
Oh dear, you are having a bad day. Thanks for explaining; you being so smug, rude and arrogant makes sense now
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to make me wise For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 37
redz
Old 26-07-2011, 7:36 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by make me wise View Post
Oh dear, you are having a bad day. Thanks for explaining; you being so smug, rude and arrogant makes sense now
You conveniently missed off the question mark from the quote. Is it not you that's having a bad day?

Dammit beaten again

Last edited by redz; 26-07-2011 at 7:37 PM. Reason: omg too slow again
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to redz For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 38
make me wise
Old 26-07-2011, 7:42 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Im not having a bad day at all thanks

I know exactly when to use question marks, just chose to ommit one to make a point. Didn't 'Red shoes no knickers' just take the bait and show her true colours . Whats up love dont you like it when someone stands up to you and gives you a taste of your own medicine?

Will sit back and wait for the next show of rudeness with baited breathe. Wont be responding though, this is all a bit 'high school' for me.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to make me wise For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 39
Oldernotwiser
Old 26-07-2011, 7:46 PM
PPR

Quote:

(Thank you to the nice person that has told me how to stop him messaging me - I do like this board!)
At least we know now why he's so sure nobody would want to share a flat with him!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oldernotwiser For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 40
sunnyone
Old 26-07-2011, 7:47 PM

Quote:
I do find her to be a nice lady, and like her I like to be helpful too!
Y0ou do know that she's dead, dont you?
The Following User Says Thank You to sunnyone For This Useful Post: Show me >>
Closed Thread