Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 14
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 11th Jun 17, 5:30 PM
    • 7,085 Posts
    • 19,163 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    I coached my new manager to check & remind folk about the date on the driving licence card & promptly got caught three years out. Ahem.

My travel claim is now on hold til the lovely lady at the post office gets my new licence card sent through. (Blimey their cube is potent medicine - backdrop, camera, signature plate and biometrics scanner all in one place!) For the peace of mind thus granted? Absolutely worth the extra fee.
    • natskee1416
    • By natskee1416 20th Jul 17, 7:21 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    natskee1416
    Hi everyone!

I realise this thread is a bit old now but hoping it might get seen anyway!

My driving license has expired and needs a change of name and address. There is no one form which covers all of that and the Post Office are baffled and gave me the wrong info. I tried calling the DVL;A tonight but went round the houses pressing different options for so long it was shut before I could talk to anyone!

I wondered if anyone else has had this situation and what you had to do to renew?

Thanks so much in advance!
    Natalie
    • unholyangel
    • By unholyangel 21st Jul 17, 2:19 AM
    • 11,416 Posts
    • 8,583 Thanks
    unholyangel
    Hi everyone!

I realise this thread is a bit old now but hoping it might get seen anyway!

My driving license has expired and needs a change of name and address. There is no one form which covers all of that and the Post Office are baffled and gave me the wrong info. I tried calling the DVL;A tonight but went round the houses pressing different options for so long it was shut before I could talk to anyone!

I wondered if anyone else has had this situation and what you had to do to renew?

Thanks so much in advance!
    Natalie
    Originally posted by natskee1416
    The form (D1 pack available from post office or from DVLA) should say up the top left (on the front page) "What are you applying for" and then "please put (image of a blacked out box) against all that apply".

The 3 you want are:
    To change the name on my license
    To change the address on my licence
    To renew the photo on my license

£17 doing it by post I believe (the name & address change are free, its the renewal you're paying for).

https://www.gov.uk/renew-driving-licence#other-ways-to-apply
    https://www.gov.uk/driving-licence-fees
    Last edited by unholyangel; 21-07-2017 at 2:23 AM.
    Money doesn't solve poverty.....it creates it.
    • Emmalee
    • By Emmalee 23rd Aug 17, 9:00 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Emmalee
    Emmalee
    My driving licence, under 4b, expires on 31.12.2022. Do I need to renew the photo before then, I wonder?
    • DBdfly02
    • By DBdfly02 23rd Aug 17, 12:29 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    DBdfly02
    This puzzled me as my 4b is the licence expiry date, however being over 70 I have to renew every three years so I hope not to age that much in three years! What I haven't seen mentioned (but haven't read through the whole thread is - the benefit of a photo license is that it can be used as proof of identity - e.g. at a bank etc - if you don't have a passport, if you have neither you have a problem!
    Last edited by DBdfly02; 24-08-2017 at 12:00 AM. Reason: error
    • yebaws
    • By yebaws 23rd Aug 17, 9:06 PM
    • 253 Posts
    • 41 Thanks
    yebaws
    I still have a paper license which I believe is still valid (having sought legal advice) but cannot find anywhere on the directgov or DVLA web-site that directly states this. They only state that paper licenses will no longer be issued.
    I know of someone who was recently stopped by the police for a routine check and told that her paper license was no longer valid due to new European rules which also invalidated her insurance. She has now received a notification to appear in court to receive her fine and points (having already received a guilty notice).
    Originally posted by AlunH
    Ha ha. I have a paper license still (it even says it is an EU version). I can't carry it around in my wallet any more though as it is so fragile. It goes in a special folder like some very valuable ancient document as I don't ever want to have to replace it. I'm right in thinking - aren't I? - that you don't actually have to have your license with you if you are stopped, you just have to bring it in to a police station within 24hrs?

Am thinking about taking a motorbike test though and I suppose that would scupper my paper license...
    • DBdfly02
    • By DBdfly02 23rd Aug 17, 11:58 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    DBdfly02
    Reading most of this I wonder why so many are so attached to the old paper licence, the card is so much more convenient and can be used as identification as well.
    • Paradigm
    • By Paradigm 24th Aug 17, 8:55 AM
    • 3,388 Posts
    • 4,292 Thanks
    Paradigm
    My driving licence, under 4b, expires on 31.12.2022. Do I need to renew the photo before then, I wonder?
    Originally posted by Emmalee

4b is the date the photograph expires so no, you don't have to renew the photo until then.
    Always try to be at least half the person your dog thinks you are!
    • Paradigm
    • By Paradigm 24th Aug 17, 9:05 AM
    • 3,388 Posts
    • 4,292 Thanks
    Paradigm
    I'm right in thinking - aren't I? - that you don't actually have to have your license with you if you are stopped, you just have to bring it in to a police station within 24hrs?

Am thinking about taking a motorbike test though and I suppose that would scupper my paper license...
    Originally posted by yebaws

The normal procedure is that you would be given a Hort1 form requiring you to produce the requested documents at a Police station within 7 days.

If you change any detail on your licence.... name, address, new category you will be issued a photo card & your paper licence would be no more.
    Always try to be at least half the person your dog thinks you are!
    • yebaws
    • By yebaws 24th Aug 17, 10:02 AM
    • 253 Posts
    • 41 Thanks
    yebaws
    Reading most of this I wonder why so many are so attached to the old paper licence, the card is so much more convenient and can be used as identification as well.
    Originally posted by DBdfly02
    ? Paper license is free and doesn't run out
    • DBdfly02
    • By DBdfly02 24th Aug 17, 10:25 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    DBdfly02
    It does when you are 70 - you have no choice then!
    • PepPop
    • By PepPop 4th Sep 17, 11:36 AM
    • 1,820 Posts
    • 18,641 Thanks
    PepPop
    HI there,
    Just a quick question.. I've tried searching an can't find a suitable answer.
    I have an old paper driving licence and haven't changed the address for 4 years. I have looked at the online DVLA site to change to a photo and update it but it asks how long I have been at my current address... so... if I fill this in can they fine me for not updating my address?

I think this is going to be a bit of a hassle as I don't have a new passport either...
    So my other question is ... would I be better just getting the pack from the post office and renewing/replacing it that way?

Thanks for any comments / answers
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

199Posts Today

1,493Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin