Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Who & Where are You? > Disability & Dosh > Should i change from ESA WRAg to EAS Support Grou... (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Should i change from ESA WRAg to EAS Support Group
Closed Thread
Views: 1,923
# 1
martin the sparky
Old 22-07-2011, 12:28 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Should i change from ESA WRAg to EAS Support Group

Hi, Very sorry if this has already been posted, but i know things have changed recently with the DWP.

Back in June 2010 - i became to ill to work and had to have various operations, due to those operations i have been left with limited movement of my left arm, and unfortunatly the disease i have has spread dramactically. I current receive DLA high mobility and low care rate, and was put on full ESA in the WRAG heading back in Februrary this year. Over the last couple of months my disease has spread dramatically where i now struggle to walk more than 5 to 6 metres, can not sit longer than 5 minutes at a time due to the pain, amongest other things. I am on pain relief patches (morphene based) and also on oramorph solution to help with the pain i am constantly in. What i need to ask is - should i inform DLA and DWP that my condition has got worse - and ask the DWP to move me in to the support group, and to ask the DLA to look at my care side of my claim as my wife is now having to look after me more. Or am i opening a large can of worms if i approach any of them. Or am i just as well waiting till March next year for my next review.

Any help is appreciated.
# 2
Elle7
Old 22-07-2011, 1:47 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I don't think there is any difference, to be honest - WRAG group may be expected to attend a job centre interview, but if they see you are too poorly to work, they'll defer it. I'm now in the Support group, but if anything they bother me more then before, they keep reassessing me to move me back into the WRAG group.

I wouldn't go through the stress of moving ESA. If you want to change DLA, that could be worth it - see welfare rights, who will help you make a good appeal, with evidence.

I hope you start to improve soon.

All the best,
E x
# 3
MrsManda
Old 22-07-2011, 1:48 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

If your condition has got considerably worse (which given your description it has) and is likely to not improve in the near future (lets say ~2-3months) and your doctors are aware of your deterioration then I would definitely inform the DLA and ESA people of your change in circumstance.
You cannot ask ESA to put you into the support group, anymore than you can ask for your DLA award to be changed to a higher rate. You inform them of your change in circumstances and they decide whether to reassess you.
(Though when I called both DLA and ESA with more information I was asked whether I felt I should be reassessed so it may be that they reassess at your request - I didn't so I'm not sure)
# 4
martin the sparky
Old 22-07-2011, 2:02 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Thank you both Elle7 and MrsManda, i think i will contact them both and advise them of my deteriation. Unfortunatly i know that my circumstances will not get better soon, as i am waiting to have further surgery which is to remove part of my groin, penis and both buttocks. And the doctors have advised they can not guarantee that this will stop or halt the disease spreading further or returning. Its just in my experience with both DLA and ESA they people on the end of the phone all give conflicting infomation. I know that they are only call centre people - but it shows that there is a lack of training for any of them in how to deal with people. I may also contact DIAL UK next week to ask for there advice first. But thank you again.
# 5
nannytone
Old 22-07-2011, 5:09 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elle7 View Post
I don't think there is any difference, to be honest - WRAG group may be expected to attend a job centre interview, but if they see you are too poorly to work, they'll defer it. I'm now in the Support group, but if anything they bother me more then before, they keep reassessing me to move me back into the WRAG group.

I wouldn't go through the stress of moving ESA. If you want to change DLA, that could be worth it - see welfare rights, who will help you make a good appeal, with evidence.

I hope you start to improve soon.

All the best,
E x
if you receive DLA and are in the support group, you get more benefit.( on income related anyway)
middle rate care DLA gets roughly 20 a week noere in the support group than in the work related group.
Closed Thread