Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    tesuhoha
    How Did You Afford/Pay for Your/Your Daughter's Wedding?
    • 20th Jul 11, 11:01 AM
    How Did You Afford/Pay for Your/Your Daughter's Wedding? 20th Jul 11 at 11:01 AM
    I'm just wondering if this is something other people think about. My daughter is 25 and although her current relationship is uncertain I am starting to think she may get married sometime in the next 5 years.

I don't have any money for this and I am just wondering if this is something other people plan for a bit like saving for college fees. I know the parents of the bride are supposed to stump up for the wedding costs.

I have decided I am going to start a wedding fund with the money she gives me for her keep. I usually spend it on extra food luxuries for her and take her out to the cinema once a month but I think we can get by without me using the money. I could then save maybe a few thousand in a few years. She won't be able to have an enormous wedding with a lot of guests and a 5,000 dress but maybe I can afford a small reception or something. Am I being naive?

I'd be interested to hear from others what you did. Also those who have recently married. Have you paid for the costs yourself? Did your parents contribute? Did you have an expensive wedding or a cheap one? Did anyone end up in a lot of debt?

I know there have been threads like this before whether people have had big weddings or not but I am interested in how people cope with paying for them.

Personally, we got married in a registry office with two witnesses, no flowers, no dress, no engagement ring, a pub lunch with chicken and chips in a basket and no honeymoon. As presents I got a chopping board from my mother in law, a dinner set from my sister in law and I can't remember what my mother got me if anything. They were a bit upset but it didn't cost anyone anything. We were not cheapskates, just broke and trying to afford our first mortgage.
    Last edited by tesuhoha; 20-07-2011 at 11:04 AM.
    The forest would be very silent if no birds sang except for the birds that sang the best

The best kept secret is an open secret.
Page 1
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

989Posts Today

6,297Users online

Martin's Twitter