Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    sharondt
    Can i resign while on sick leave
    • 28th Dec 06, 2:44 PM
    Can i resign while on sick leave 28th Dec 06 at 2:44 PM
    I usually post on here under a different name but want to remain anon for this matter, because one of my collegues is a frequent visitor to the site.

If i resigned while on sick leave, could my employer withhold company sick pay? I am not entitled to SSP coz the job is only part time and i dont work enough hours a week or earn enough to qualify. Also, would i be able to attend an interview for another job while on sick leave? Sorry if these are silly questions!
Page 1
  • dmg24
    • 28th Dec 06, 3:00 PM
    • 28th Dec 06, 3:00 PM
    Hi Sharon,

Yes, you can resign whilst on sick leave. Whether your employer can withhold sick pay whilst on your notice period will really depend on your contract, but if it is not stipulated in there then, no they cannot.

There is nothing to stop you attending a job interview whilst on sick leave, though I would be weary on letting your current employer find out if you are needing a reference from them.

Good luck x
  • sharondt
    • 28th Dec 06, 3:15 PM
    • 28th Dec 06, 3:15 PM
    Thanks dmg24 - no my contract doesnt state anything about withholding sickpay so that sounds promising It will also save a lot of hassle and dagger looks i am likely to get if i can just resign whilst away (coward i know!) Do you think i should phone and tell my boss then follow it up with a letter confirming it, or just send the letter?
  • dmg24
    • 28th Dec 06, 3:23 PM
    • 28th Dec 06, 3:23 PM
    Depends on how friendly you are with your boss. If you want to remain on good terms, and you feel that you can talk to your boss, then I would do a phone call (or an email? Slightly easier option!). If not, just a polite letter.

I don't think you are a coward. I resigned whilst on long term sick, everybody said that I would be better to go back just to show myself I could do it if I wanted to, but I just figured why put myself through it? As long as you know you are doing the right thing, that is all that matters x
  • FleetFanatic
    • 7th Jan 07, 7:05 PM
    • 7th Jan 07, 7:05 PM
    Also, would i be able to attend an interview for another job while on sick leave? Sorry if these are silly questions!
    by sharondt
    Of course, some companies may question how somebody is so sick they can't come to work yet can go for an interview. I suppose it would depend on the type of work involved.
  • welshcakes
    • 7th Jan 07, 10:22 PM
    • 7th Jan 07, 10:22 PM
    Above advise is all good and to the point. I would personally write a letter of resignation and sign it - hardcopy is always a nice fullstop and can be added in your employee file. It also provides a specific date on which your resignation was made. I would have someone pop it round to the office on your behalf as the Royal Mail is not 100%.
    Integrity is a dying art!
  • raq
    • 8th Jan 07, 11:36 AM
    • 8th Jan 07, 11:36 AM
    Hi Sharon,

Yes, you can resign whilst on sick leave. Whether your employer can withhold sick pay whilst on your notice period will really depend on your contract, but if it is not stipulated in there then, no they cannot.

There is nothing to stop you attending a job interview whilst on sick leave, though I would be weary on letting your current employer find out if you are needing a reference from them.

Good luck x
    by dmg24
    Friend of a friend applied for a job last year whilst on sick leave and got the job. She hated her previous job but the company gave her a referenceand it was fine because they wanted her out. The reference was a bog standard one. They wanted her out anyway because her sick record.
    Tomorrow's just another day - keep smiling
    • inkie
    • By inkie 8th Jan 07, 12:28 PM
    • 2,496 Posts
    • 2,335 Thanks
    inkie
    • 8th Jan 07, 12:28 PM
    • 8th Jan 07, 12:28 PM
    Yes you can and I did. However, what you might like to bear in mind is are there any factors within your current employment that have caused you to go if sick and look for another job? Constructive dismissal i'm thinking..
  • sharondt
    • 9th Jan 07, 7:26 PM
    • 9th Jan 07, 7:26 PM
    The reason im leaving is that i sustained an injury which resulted in me needing surgery (im currently on a waiting list). Im thinking of resigning after the op which will require me to have about six weeks off. The job i do requires lifting and i will be looking for something much lighter, but not within the same company.
  • julespw
    found these posts very helpful. I am currently in a similar position. after being bullied/criticized/go at at work for the last 18mths I am off sick with depression. At the moment I feel I can not go back into that environment and dont really know what to do for the best
  • Googlewhacker
    found these posts very helpful. I am currently in a similar position. after being bullied/criticized/go at at work for the last 18mths I am off sick with depression. At the moment I feel I can not go back into that environment and dont really know what to do for the best
    Originally posted by julespw
    Welcome to the boards, I would suggest you start your own post and give a bit more information, such as time, what you have done to try and resolve problems etc and people will be along to advise.
    The Googlewhacker referance is to Dave Gorman and not to my opinion of the search engine!

If I give you advice it is only a view and always always take professional advice before acting!!!

4 people on the ignore list....Bliss!
  • Chloepad1
    Hi
    Sorry that you are not feeling too well at the moment. I am unsure of whether your company would be permitted to withhold company sick pay if you resigned whilst on sick leave. If your mind is dead set on leaving the job then yes I would say go for any interviews that come up and try to get another job, there is nothing that your employer can do to stop you. Good luck!!
  • Googlewhacker
    Hi
    Sorry that you are not feeling too well at the moment. I am unsure of whether your company would be permitted to withhold company sick pay if you resigned whilst on sick leave. If your mind is dead set on leaving the job then yes I would say go for any interviews that come up and try to get another job, there is nothing that your employer can do to stop you. Good luck!!
    Originally posted by Chloepad1
    OP's post was from 2006....
    The Googlewhacker referance is to Dave Gorman and not to my opinion of the search engine!

If I give you advice it is only a view and always always take professional advice before acting!!!

• ragtag854
    If I resign while on sick leave can I claim holiday pay?
    Hi there, I am in the position where I have been for an interview and got the job as long as I get a reference from my employer, so keep your fingers crossed.
    I've had an operation on my leg and despite TWO fit to work notes (with amended duties) from my GP and my Consultant saying that I am fit to work, my employer is still not allowing me back!! They have not kept in touch and every time I've wanted information I've had to phone them and ask. I've now been off work for 12 weeks and absolutely broke!! Most people who've had the same operation have returned after 6! Is it worth me pursuing a case of constructive dismissal, I am not in a union and would probably have to go through ACAS or someone similar
  • Googlewhacker
    Hi there, I am in the position where I have been for an interview and got the job as long as I get a reference from my employer, so keep your fingers crossed.
    I've had an operation on my leg and despite TWO fit to work notes (with amended duties) from my GP and my Consultant saying that I am fit to work, my employer is still not allowing me back!! They have not kept in touch and every time I've wanted information I've had to phone them and ask. I've now been off work for 12 weeks and absolutely broke!! Most people who've had the same operation have returned after 6! Is it worth me pursuing a case of constructive dismissal, I am not in a union and would probably have to go through ACAS or someone similar
    Originally posted by ragtag854
    You would be also better starting of doing your own thread, however constructive dismissal has a low success rate and you would have to show you have tried everything (ie gone through their grievance procedure etc)

Also bear in mind you are not fit to work, you are fit to do the amended work and if the employer cannot make reasonable adjustments to this they can say no.

I would suggest you speak to ACAS and see what they say and if you have home insurance you may have legal cover for employment issues.

Also yes you are entitled to holiday pay up until the day you leave.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

545Posts Today

4,049Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • On way to @GMB for my 7:40 Deals of the Week, which incl don't bin AI scene letter, Amazon voucher, free make up, free photo prints and more

• Ever watched storage hunters? Now you can do it yourself, with lost luggage auctions... http://t.co/kxINkGPQa4

• MSE Big Energy Switch III: Cheaper than the cheapest energy, save £280/yr + £30 cashback + 1,500 clubcard pts.... http://t.co/f5JfF6T9Aa

• Follow Martin