Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Who & Where are You? > Disability & Dosh > selling a car with disabled tax? (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

  • Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

    Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

  • No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
selling a car with disabled tax?
Closed Thread
Views: 12,076
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
# 1
Jahlove
Old 14-07-2011, 7:32 PM
MoneySaving Convert
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 76
Default selling a car with disabled tax?

I have joined the motability scheme and my car should be ready in 8 weeks, and i will want to sell my current car, only problem is that is has disabled tax, i asked in the post office and was told that i would have to tax it before i sold the car and send the log book off to remove the disabled class which can take up to 6 weeks!

Surely that cant be the only way? i cant see any buyer waiting 6 weeks for me to tax it before i can sell it to them?!
Jahlove is offline
Report Post
# 2
Anubis
Old 14-07-2011, 7:41 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Home.
Posts: 3,609
Default

Yes, you have to do this - you can not sell it with the disabled tax disc on and you have to get the criteria removed.
Anubis is offline
Report Post
# 3
harveybobbles
Old 14-07-2011, 7:58 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Just by Asda....
Posts: 7,943
Default

I think you can change the tax class FROM Disabled to PLG/Petrol Car etc at a Post Office... You'd just have to pay to have it taxed and then work that into the price of the car.

I know to tax it as disabvled you have to take/send all the paperwork to a LVLO.
DCA's have no legal powers - their threats are empty and full of the words might, may, could, consider, recommend..
harveybobbles is online now
Report Post
# 4
Anubis
Old 14-07-2011, 8:05 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Home.
Posts: 3,609
Default

Go to your local DVLA centre (not the post office)

http://forum.moneysavingexpert.com/s....php?t=2243037
Anubis is offline
Report Post
# 5
ramsas
Old 14-07-2011, 9:53 PM
MoneySaving Convert
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 141
Default

disabled tax is for disabled people...to sell car has it is, in the disabled class with disabled tax will leave the buyer and yourself open to a charge of fraud and possible seizure of car for being unlicensed on public highway...insurance will also be rendered useless...hope clarifies situation.
Loyal to those deserving!!.
ramsas is offline
Report Post
# 6
sunnyone
Old 14-07-2011, 10:11 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 4,470
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramsas View Post
disabled tax is for disabled people...to sell car has it is, in the disabled class with disabled tax will leave the buyer and yourself open to a charge of fraud and possible seizure of car for being unlicensed on public highway...insurance will also be rendered useless...hope clarifies situation.
I bought a specialist vehicle and it already had disabled tax on it, they normally do and then you change it to YOUR disabled tax disc after you collect it and its all above board.

I have had one motability car and they refuse to allow you to take the disabled tax disc from the car when you drop it off as the disc belongs to motability apparently (I rang them from the dealers when I dropped the car off), I found that more worrying than buying my drive from powerchair vehicle.
sunnyone is offline
Report Post
# 7
harveybobbles
Old 14-07-2011, 10:35 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Just by Asda....
Posts: 7,943
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyone View Post
I bought a specialist vehicle and it already had disabled tax on it, they normally do and then you change it to YOUR disabled tax disc after you collect it and its all above board.

I have had one motability car and they refuse to allow you to take the disabled tax disc from the car when you drop it off as the disc belongs to motability apparently (I rang them from the dealers when I dropped the car off), I found that more worrying than buying my drive from powerchair vehicle.
Why were you wanting to take the disc from the window when it has no value...?
DCA's have no legal powers - their threats are empty and full of the words might, may, could, consider, recommend..
harveybobbles is online now
Report Post
# 8
Richie-from-the-Boro
Old 14-07-2011, 10:44 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 5,443
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jahlove View Post
I have joined the motability scheme and my car should be ready in 8 weeks, and i will want to sell my current car, only problem is that is has disabled tax, i asked in the post office and was told that i would have to tax it before i sold the car and send the log book off to remove the disabled class which can take up to 6 weeks!

Surely that cant be the only way? i cant see any buyer waiting 6 weeks for me to tax it before i can sell it to them?!
6 minutes not 6 weeks, go, or get a~n~other person to go to your local DVLA and transfer the class from disabled to private. Take the disabled disk along with the disabled log book into the building with you they will confiscate both on the spot.

The DVLA Swansea / Liverpool will then send you / to the owners registered address a brand new non-disabled log book to give to the new buyer.

You do not have to re-tax the car or spend any money, you can register the car as SORN right there and then in the DVLA office and you are legally and morally clean.
Richie-from-the-Boro is offline
Report Post
# 9
sunnyone
Old 14-07-2011, 10:45 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 4,470
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by harveybobbles View Post
Why were you wanting to take the disc from the window when it has no value...?
Because you are allowed one car road tax exempt, one car and one car only and my motability car was bring returned to the dealership so I wanted my new car to have my exemption, not a hard thing to understand really............
sunnyone is offline
Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to sunnyone For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
Madz
Old 20-07-2011, 7:55 AM
MoneySaving Convert
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 37
Default

Hi - I've got a similar issue to the OP. The car I've bought is a private sale though, not Motability.

I have my old car with tax exemption sitting on the drive and I bought a new car on Monday, I want to transfer the exemption from my old car to my new car but I'm really confused as to how to go about it.

I have the V5C/2 part but haven't received the new log book yet. I phoned the DVLA helpline and just got horribly confused. Do I have to wait the 4-5 weeks for the new log book to arrive before I can change the taxation class of the new car and apply for exemption (after handing in the old nil tax disc of course)?

Can someone help a doddery disabled please?
Madz is offline
Report Post
# 11
Richie-from-the-Boro
Old 20-07-2011, 1:09 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 5,443
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madz View Post
Hi - I've got a similar issue to the OP. The car I've bought is a private sale though, not Motability.

I have my old car with tax exemption sitting on the drive and I bought a new car on Monday, I want to transfer the exemption from my old car to my new car but I'm really confused as to how to go about it.

I have the V5C/2 part but haven't received the new log book yet. I phoned the DVLA helpline and just got horribly confused. Do I have to wait the 4-5 weeks for the new log book to arrive before I can change the taxation class of the new car and apply for exemption (after handing in the old nil tax disc of course)?

Can someone help a doddery disabled please?
The same as #8 my friend.

Take all the docs from your old car & all you have [ up to this point ] from your new car in separate folders to your local DVLA. You should if you have a BlueBadge take that with you, these places are notorious for twice per hour clamper visits.

Just tell the nice person behind the counter what you want to happen and they'll sort it out for you legally. You have 11 days to the end of the month anyway so make sure you tell them you want the transfer to start from the 1st of next month. Given that you may have to re-visit the office when you get possession of all the docs for your new vehicle it may seem like a waste of time, it isn't, its reassuring to know that you have sought and obeyed the correct advice, and that in the event of a problem you can refer to the DVLA office.

They will probably take care of the new disabled log book / V5C/2 / SORN etc while you are there in the office.

Hope this helps
Richie-from-the-Boro is offline
Report Post
# 12
Invalidation
Old 21-07-2011, 1:15 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 558
Default

No need to go to the DVLA at all. Go to a Post office that issues tax discs. Take both V5's One with the new 'Disabled' class amended and the old disabled one with PLG in Taxation class. Take the relevant Insurance certs and MOT's along with the Disabled Entitlement document. The Post office person will issue you with a New Disabled Tax disc for the newly registered vehicle and if you wish, issue a new PLG for the the old Disabled car if you have the money..
I Know.
Ive just done it.
The DWP = Legally kicking the Disabled when they are down.
Invalidation is offline
Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to Invalidation For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
harveybobbles
Old 21-07-2011, 8:16 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Just by Asda....
Posts: 7,943
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyone View Post
Because you are allowed one car road tax exempt, one car and one car only and my motability car was bring returned to the dealership so I wanted my new car to have my exemption, not a hard thing to understand really............
So you are suggesting putting a tax disc from another car on display in the new car......................?
DCA's have no legal powers - their threats are empty and full of the words might, may, could, consider, recommend..
harveybobbles is online now
Report Post
# 14
sunnyone
Old 21-07-2011, 8:26 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 4,470
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by harveybobbles View Post
So you are suggesting putting a tax disc from another car on display in the new car......................?
I return my tax disc to the DVLA office at the same time as I pick up my new tax disc, many disabled people do the exact same thing to make sure that they dont fall foul of the law (and they give you a reciept to prove it too) and I did say in my previous post that you quoted I replaced the disabled tax on my specialist vehicle with MY disabled tax disc (I had three tax discs in a week which were all disabled, the one it came with, then MY tax disc with the original reg and then MY tax with MY PPs)
sunnyone is offline
Report Post
# 15
paddedjohn
Old 22-07-2011, 2:26 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 6,619
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invalidation View Post
No need to go to the DVLA at all. Go to a Post office that issues tax discs. Take both V5's One with the new 'Disabled' class amended and the old disabled one with PLG in Taxation class. Take the relevant Insurance certs and MOT's along with the Disabled Entitlement document. The Post office person will issue you with a New Disabled Tax disc for the newly registered vehicle and if you wish, issue a new PLG for the the old Disabled car if you have the money..
I Know.
Ive just done it.
Although the first part of this post is correct, the last bit isnt. To change the classification back to PLG from Disabled requires the log book being either sent back to Swansea or taking it in person to the local DVLA offices, obviously the latter is the quickest.
Be Alert..........Britain needs lerts.
paddedjohn is offline
Report Post
Closed Thread

Bookmarks
 
 




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

 Forum Jump  

Contact Us - MoneySavingExpert.com - Archive - Privacy Statement - Top

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:36 AM.

 Forum Jump  

Free MoneySaving Email

Top deals: Week of 01 October 2014

Get all this & more in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email full of guides, vouchers and Deals

GET THIS FREE WEEKLY EMAIL Full of deals, guides & it's spam free

Latest News & Blogs

Martin's Twitter Feed

profile
  • Engaged and bought a house? Heaven forbid one of you died, without a will your share would go to their relatives not you. #Willfact
  • Free wills http://t.co/ST6uxNt7fe (and key warning unless you have one, if you just cohabit, not married/civ part - your partner gets nowt)
  • On my way to @GMB for my 7:40 Deals Of The Week slot. Today Inc free wills, no fee debt shift, free greggs and national citizen service week

Cheap Travel Money

Find the best online rate for holiday cash with MSE's TravelMoneyMax.

Find the best online rate for your holiday cash with MoneySavingExpert's TravelMoneyMax.

TuneChecker Top Albums

  • ED SHEERANX (DELUXE EDITION)
  • ALT-JTHIS IS ALL YOURS
  • SAM SMITHIN THE LONELY HOUR (DELUXE EDITION)

MSE's Twitter Feed

profile
Always remember anyone can post on the MSE forums, so it can be very different from our opinion.
We use Skimlinks and other affiliated links in some of our boards, for some of our users.