Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > In my home (includes DIY) MoneySaving > How much to have bathroom suite fitted ? (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
How much to have bathroom suite fitted ?
Closed Thread
Views: 1,258
# 1
LizzieandThomas
Old 26-12-2006, 9:47 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default How much to have bathroom suite fitted ?

Hi all, am getting a new bathroom and have no idea how much it costs to get someone in to fit it - anyone have any rough figures to give me some sort of idea ? x
# 2
ozskin
Old 26-12-2006, 10:10 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

you need to be a bit more specific. list exactly what you propose to have done and then we can try and advise
The Following User Says Thank You to ozskin For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
LizzieandThomas
Old 26-12-2006, 10:28 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Sorry, basically just the fitting of new toilet sink and bath. we will probably remove old one to save on costs. You can tell i dont have a clue cant you !
# 4
flang
Old 26-12-2006, 10:38 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

The bathroom in my house cost just under £2000 which included wall tiles.
I dont know how reasonable this is as the previous owners had it fitted.
Have you considered fitting it youself? its pretty easy if your fairly good at DIY.
The Following User Says Thank You to flang For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
LizzieandThomas
Old 26-12-2006, 10:52 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Im not good at diy - may try and convince the other half. thanks
# 6
Alikay
Old 26-12-2006, 10:57 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

We're having a new suite fitted in a couple of weeks. It will cost £1500 to supply and fit bath, toilet, basin and full height tiles on one 6ft wall plus full height tiles the on about 2.5 ft on the other wall.
The tiles are cheapish ones, and the suite is the armitage shanks standard one with the basic taps.
The Following User Says Thank You to Alikay For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
flang
Old 26-12-2006, 10:57 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Plumbing is very easy to do nowdays especially whith the plastic snap together pipes!
The Following User Says Thank You to flang For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
b21playa
Old 26-12-2006, 11:28 PM
MoneySaving Convert

defo try yourself if you got some knowledge

im doing the majority of the work myself on my house renovation, and the bathroom will be a part of it. i got shower, bather, sink, toilet to fit and fully file it out
The Following User Says Thank You to b21playa For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
BobProperty
Old 27-12-2006, 2:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flang
Plumbing is very easy to do nowdays especially whith the plastic snap together pipes!
Except when they come apart as in "The million pound property experiment" or the cowboy left the inserts out.
Back to the OP, a straight swap (no re-locating any of the elements, no swapping which end the taps on the bath are etc.) with no tiling, existing pipework being OK and any other caveats I can think of before I quote for the job I say would be in the region of 300-400 (and that's depending on where you are e.g. not in the Home counties, central London etc.). Problems to watch out for are when you want to do the tiling and being left without a working toilet, both of which can affect the price. (two visits not one)
This is one of those jobs that you really want to see, check out and discuss with the customer first. Not least to make sure the "shed" you bought the suite from gave you everything you need too!
A house isn't a home without a cat.
Those are my principles. If you don't like them, I have others.
I have writer's block - I can't begin to tell you about it.
You told me again you preferred handsome men but for me you would make an exception.
It's a recession when your neighbour loses his job; it's a depression when you lose yours.
The Following User Says Thank You to BobProperty For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
plumb1
Old 27-12-2006, 5:17 PM

Send a message via AIM to plumb1

350 for a swop inc materials
The Following User Says Thank You to plumb1 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
travel_freak
Old 27-12-2006, 5:57 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Default Replacing cistern?

A little bit off topic but, I have a broken cistern, it seems old and may be difficult to get parts for, is it possible to just take the cistern (top bit) off, leaving the lower bit in place?

Are cisterns kind of universal or would i need to be careful that the one I was getting was suitable first, to fir the lower bit?

Is this a DIY job (thought I might ask my Dad very nicely!) and if so any tips or hazards to watch out for?

Many thanks and sorry to go slightly off topic.
# 12
BobProperty
Old 27-12-2006, 7:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travel_freak
A little bit off topic but, I have a broken cistern, it seems old and may be difficult to get parts for, is it possible to just take the cistern (top bit) off, leaving the lower bit in place?

Are cisterns kind of universal or would i need to be careful that the one I was getting was suitable first, to fir the lower bit?

Is this a DIY job (thought I might ask my Dad very nicely!) and if so any tips or hazards to watch out for?

Many thanks and sorry to go slightly off topic.
Some info on here:http://www.ultimatehandyman.co.uk/toilets.htm
First significant question is: What has actually broke? Closely followed by: Is it low level or close coupled? (see link)
Almost all the inside parts are "replaceable". A low level cistern can be replaced with something similar, but a close coupled cistern needs to match the pan that it sits on.
You told me again you preferred handsome men but for me you would make an exception.
It's a recession when your neighbour loses his job; it's a depression when you lose yours.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BobProperty For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
travel_freak
Old 27-12-2006, 7:21 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Thanks BobProperty,

What a great and useful link - I'll be keeping a note of that somewhere safe!

From the picture, it's a close coupled. Basically it won't flush when you push the lever - I can see the bit that's broken - a strangely shaped plastic bit which seems to connect the handle/lever to something else inside that makes it flush (yes I do realise how thick I sound!).

One builder said he may be able to get parts for it although it's old, another said he woudn't and I'd have to replace the cistern.

Maybe I'll take the offending plastic bit to a plumbing shop and ask them first or try and persuade the Dad to take a look.

Regards
# 14
BobProperty
Old 27-12-2006, 8:14 PM

Quote:
......From the picture, it's a close coupled. Basically it won't flush when you push the lever - I can see the bit that's broken - a strangely shaped plastic bit which seems to connect the handle/lever to something else inside that makes it flush (yes I do realise how thick I sound!).
If the handle move freely and does nothing it is the arm you describe as "a strangely shaped plastic bit" Does it look like the plastic bit on this:
http://www.toolstation.com/search.html?searchstr=70180
Quote:
One builder said he may be able to get parts for it although it's old, another said he woudn't and I'd have to replace the cistern.
# 15
travel_freak
Old 27-12-2006, 8:53 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Hello BobProperty,

Yes from memory the handle moves completely freely but nothing happens. The plastic bit is similar-ish to plastic bit on the end of the metal rod in your picture except it seems much larger and (again from memory) is more of a rhombus shape. Sorry to be vague.

At least that's a start, I now know what it's called(!) - would you suggest I just take that bit down to a plumber's shop for advice as to whether they can replace it?

Unfortunately at the moment I can't find the stopcock to turn off the water supply in the flat so I can't get further inside the cistern to take other bits out. I think I may need firstly to get a plumber in to locate the stopcock or if it can't be found to install one (?) before I can safely turn off the water and then have a bit of a fiddle inside the cistern. Oh joy!

Thanks again.
REgards
# 16
BobProperty
Old 27-12-2006, 9:40 PM

Quote:
.....Yes from memory the handle moves completely freely but nothing happens. The plastic bit is similar-ish to plastic bit on the end of the metal rod in your picture except it seems much larger and (again from memory) is more of a rhombus shape. Sorry to be vague.
Don't worry they come in various shapes and sizes. Taking it out and to a plumber's merchant or B&Q Wickes type place and you should find a match. You can always cut a bit off the end if it's too long.
Quote:
.....Unfortunately at the moment I can't find the stopcock to turn off the water supply in the flat so I can't get further inside the cistern to take other bits out. I think I may need firstly to get a plumber in to locate the stopcock or if it can't be found to install one (?) before I can safely turn off the water and then have a bit of a fiddle inside the cistern.....
You shouldn't need to turn the water off. This is part of the mechanism that gets the water out of the cistern and into the pan, not the incoming valve which controls water that fills the cistern. That's assuming you are 100% right in what you are identifying
The Following User Says Thank You to BobProperty For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
ozskin
Old 27-12-2006, 10:55 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I wish bob property and plumb 1 lived near me, maybe they do. I agree thats what it should cost but the previous posts for a complete job and tiles of around 1500-2000 is more like what we come across every day. we pretty much stopped providing a fitting service a few years ago because of plumbers charges and the hassle of managing sub contractors, cause at 200ish per day average where we are, and its a long long way from london, you can hardly add anything for managing them at these prices. if bob or plumb ever want a job at these call me. plumbers now often charge a hefty premium for their work
# 18
BobProperty
Old 28-12-2006, 10:30 PM

The answer is that the amount of work involved in doing a proper job including the preparation work, repairs, tiling and getting round all the problems that crop up. That where the cost is. If all a job involved was a straight swap of sanitary ware then there wouldn't be much of a challenge in the job.
My location and plumb1's are shown, but I think you are "down south" to us ozskin

and as for charging "a hefty premium for their work" :
1. Don't start that again Plumbers and Premium Rates
2. I'm trying my best to
# 19
plumb1
Old 29-12-2006, 10:39 AM

Send a message via AIM to plumb1

Yes it sounds like the link arm that has broken, 90% off the time very easy to replace, but some times you have saw them off.
pop down to you local plumbers merchant and you will be able to buy one for a couple of quid.
They also do 1 made of brass, which is easyier to fit and will give you more adjustment.

If you take the cistern lid off, you should still be able to flush your toilet, there is a hook attacted to the syphon( which the link arm attaches) just pull that up.
The Following User Says Thank You to plumb1 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 20
travel_freak
Old 29-12-2006, 3:47 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Thank you so much BobProperty and Plumb1 for all your help. You are both stars!

I second Ozskin's thoughts - I wish you both lived near me, but sadly I see your locations and you're both miles away, never mind!

Best wishes,
Closed Thread