Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Essential Money > House Buying, Renting & Selling > Maisonettes - more desireable / worth more than a... (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Maisonettes - more desireable / worth more than a flat???
Closed Thread
Views: 3,328
# 1
maisonette
Old 08-07-2011, 7:32 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Maisonettes - more desireable / worth more than a flat???

In general are maisonettes more desireable or worth more than a flat? I'm trying to see what a rough value for a property might be. I've looked on rightmove for the area the property is in but there are no maisonettes for sale, only flats. Have also looked on nethouseprices and the only recent sale was this property back in 2003 (148,000 back then).

It's basically a block of 4 properties, one shared main front door with 2 x downstairs one bedroom flats and the stairs leading to 2 x two bed maisonettes. It's purpose built and looks like an attractive large house from the outside. The property has an en suite, a garage & driveway and also a garden (albeit as it is first floor you obviously can't get to the garden without going out the front door and round).

Does anyone know what sort of value being a maisonette over a flat would add (if any) and also whether the garage and the garden are likely to add much value?

Thanks for any input
# 2
devotee
Old 08-07-2011, 7:36 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Maisonette is a flat, but you get your own entrance. I don't think own entrance adds more value, but the garden and garage adds value and it's probably priced accordingly. So on rightmove/land registry no such thing as maisonette, only flats or houses.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to devotee For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
devotee
Old 08-07-2011, 7:38 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Btw, it's not a maisonette if you have to share the main entrance!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to devotee For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
maisonette
Old 08-07-2011, 7:40 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Aah, maybe this isn't classed as a maisonette then as it shares an entrance with three other properties. I called it a maisonette as it's over two levels ie there's an upstairs and a downstairs
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to maisonette For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
devotee
Old 08-07-2011, 7:45 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by maisonette View Post
Aah, maybe this isn't classed as a maisonette then as it shares an entrance with three other properties. I called it a maisonette as it's over two levels ie there's an upstairs and a downstairs
No it's a split level flat then. Some people like them, some don't. Some people think it feels more like a house to have two levels, while some prefer the all on one level. So, no real value in being a split level flat more than one level flat of similar sq ft that also has a garden and a garage.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to devotee For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
holly hobby
Old 08-07-2011, 7:52 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Value is really influenced by area, no of rooms,total sq footage and especially for a flat, if there is a dedicated parking bay (as it makes it more desirable and servicable to those who have a car).

If its apples for apples, then as already stated, its really down to preference - a split level in my opinion would be more desirable than a traditional flat, but thats because it would suit me and my requirements ......

Holly
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to holly hobby For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
devotee
Old 08-07-2011, 8:02 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by holly hobby View Post
Value is really influenced by area, no of rooms,total sq footage and especially for a flat, if there is a dedicated parking bay (as it makes it more desirable and servicable to those who have a car).

If its apples for apples, then as already stated, its really down to preference - a split level in my opinion would be more desirable than a traditional flat, but thats because it would suit me and my requirements ......

Holly
True, parking does make the difference too.
I prefer one level, not too keen on losing sq on stairs.... ok not too keen on hoovering the stairs!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to devotee For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
abankerbutnotafatcat
Old 08-07-2011, 8:19 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I know it doesn't effect OP in this instance, but I do think in general that having your own street level entrance is a plus feature for a property especially if it's ex-council - so you're not sharing any possibly undesirable communal areas.

But if we're talking split level versus one floor flats then I don't think there's much in it as others have said. My OH is from Scandinavia and even thinks it's strange that houses in the UK are usually on more than one level - it's all down to taste.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to abankerbutnotafatcat For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
Mind the Gap
Old 08-07-2011, 11:14 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by abankerbutnotafatcat View Post
My OH is from Scandinavia and even thinks it's strange that houses in the UK are usually on more than one level - it's all down to taste.
He's obviously not spotted the fact that the UK is far more densely populated than Scandinavia! If we all lived in one-storey homes, there would be no countryside left.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mind the Gap For This Useful Post: Show me >>
Closed Thread