Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    snakehips916
    "Innocent" smoothies! Carton rip-off
    • 5th Jul 11, 9:32 PM
    "Innocent" smoothies! Carton rip-off 5th Jul 11 at 9:32 PM
    I went into my local Sainsburys and saw that there was an offer of buy 2 Innocent smoothies for £4. This offer normally comes around every 2 months or so. I purchased said cartons and went home. On putting them in the fridge i noticed something was wrong......eek! They have shrunk...by 25%. A subtle change and one that was not mentioned at point of sale or anywhere else for that matter.
    As far as I am concerned that is deception. Both Sainsburys and Innocent know what has gone on but have failed to mention it. I therefore returned the cartons and got a refund as I was really unimpressed. A)with the small cartons but mostly B)The underhand methods used.
    I will be writing to Sainsburys and not purchasing any more Innocent products as I don't like the way they conduct their business.
    A case of not-so innocent!
Page 1
    • geordieracer
    • By geordieracer 5th Jul 11, 9:42 PM
    • 2,418 Posts
    • 1,908 Thanks
    geordieracer
    • 5th Jul 11, 9:42 PM
    • 5th Jul 11, 9:42 PM
    Did you read the label on the shelf edge? What did it say? Bet you any money it mentioned the size of them.

If you didnt then how can they have decieved you? Why should they shout about it in the press - every other manufacturer of food and drinks have just about done the same with one or two products in their line up and havent said so..

Oh well
    one of the famous 5
    • globalds
    • By globalds 5th Jul 11, 9:45 PM
    • 8,905 Posts
    • 16,712 Thanks
    globalds
    • 5th Jul 11, 9:45 PM
    • 5th Jul 11, 9:45 PM
    Coca Cola bought a stake of Inocent drinks a year or two ago.

Seems the corporate boys are taking control.
  • crystaltipps
    • 5th Jul 11, 9:50 PM
    • 5th Jul 11, 9:50 PM
    This was on Radio 4 Today programme (I think) about 2-4 weeks ago. They were interviewing the head honcho about it - he said the pricing had changed too and they were introducing new sizes and prices...made is sound very plausible - I think he was just a good marketer though...who thinks it is a good idea to charge more for less unless they own a financial interest!
    "Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored." Aldous Huxley.
  • crystaltipps
    • 5th Jul 11, 9:57 PM
    • 5th Jul 11, 9:57 PM
    http://innocentdrinks.typepad.com/innocent_drinks/2011/06/big-and-slightly-smaller-change-is-afoot.html
    "Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored." Aldous Huxley.
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 5th Jul 11, 10:05 PM
    • 30,301 Posts
    • 19,166 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 5th Jul 11, 10:05 PM
    • 5th Jul 11, 10:05 PM
    As far as I am concerned that is deception. Both Sainsburys and Innocent know what has gone on but have failed to mention it. I therefore returned the cartons and got a refund as I was really unimpressed. A)with the small cartons but mostly B)The underhand methods used.
    I will be writing to Sainsburys and not purchasing any more Innocent products as I don't like the way they conduct their business.
    A case of not-so innocent!
    Originally posted by snakehips916
    You are free to check the carton size before you buy and check the sel. And what do you want sainsburys to do ? its not they're place to say anything and any case its not their product(even if it was i dont think they would tell the customers). Writing to sansburys wont do much except might give the HO staff a right old laugh, please tell me what exactly you would put in the letter to sainsburys.

Not sure where you have been but food stuffs have been reduced in size for years, first 1 i remember is the mars bar i think, other stuff has also reduced due to rising costs no doubt.
    Last edited by DCFC79; 05-07-2011 at 10:38 PM.
    Can people stop loaning money/being a guarator to family/friends, it rarely ends well and you lose out as your money is gone or you get shafted with being a guarantor.
  • snakehips916
    • 5th Jul 11, 10:31 PM
    • 5th Jul 11, 10:31 PM
    DCFC79. If one were to check every item for weight, volume etc one would be in the supermarket all day. When something has only been available in one size for 6 years and suddenly changes, it is only fair to make it obvious to customers that there has been a significant change -unless you are hoping they will not notice. Following your logic; maybe we should check the size of the engines in new cars before we buy them in case the manufacturers have decided to change them from a 1.6 to a 1.4 without telling us. The fact other companies have made things smaller doesn't make it right.
    Sorry to mention this but it should be 'their' not "they're".
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 5th Jul 11, 10:35 PM
    • 30,301 Posts
    • 19,166 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 5th Jul 11, 10:35 PM
    • 5th Jul 11, 10:35 PM
    DCFC79. If one were to check every item for weight, volume etc one would be in the supermarket all day. When something has only been available in one size for 6 years and suddenly changes, it is only fair to make it obvious to customers that there has been a significant change -unless you are hoping they will not notice. Following your logic; maybe we should check the size of the engines in new cars before we buy them in case the manufacturers have decided to change them from a 1.6 to a 1.4 without telling us. The fact other companies have made things smaller doesn't make it right.
    im quite aware i made an error but theres more important things in life for me to worry about,

it's not hard to look at the sel when you pick the item up. Before i put stuff in the trolley i check the sel to see how much it is per 100ml/100g it is and if theres a cheaper alternative and it doesn't take that long to check the sel.
    Last edited by DCFC79; 05-07-2011 at 10:39 PM.
    Can people stop loaning money/being a guarator to family/friends, it rarely ends well and you lose out as your money is gone or you get shafted with being a guarantor.
    • MamaMoo
    • By MamaMoo 5th Jul 11, 10:47 PM
    • 2,430 Posts
    • 4,756 Thanks
    MamaMoo
    • 5th Jul 11, 10:47 PM
    • 5th Jul 11, 10:47 PM
    I thinkthe obvious part is reducing something in size by 25% and putting the new size on the packet. I think that would make it clear enough to me, anyhow. I'm amazed you managed to get a refund, tbh, as it's not like the goods were misrepresented in any way.
  • snakehips916
    Dcfc79 You are missing the point. It is underhand selling and should not be condoned.
    • Gleeful
    • By Gleeful 5th Jul 11, 10:51 PM
    • 1,900 Posts
    • 7,376 Thanks
    Gleeful
    It could be worse. The one we had this evening had unmashed banana in it! Lumpy, not 'smoothie!'
  • snakehips916
    Holy smoke! Do you guys work for Innocent or something! They have not marked the new cartons in any way that makes you think it is not 1 litre. They have merely shrunk the carton whereas they should have made it perfectly clear with something on the front of the carton. Wake-up please!
    • Gleeful
    • By Gleeful 5th Jul 11, 10:53 PM
    • 1,900 Posts
    • 7,376 Thanks
    Gleeful
    They have not marked the new cartons in any way that makes you think it is not 1 litre.
    To be fair, it does say 750ml on it.

I hadn't noticed either to be honest though. It is a bit sneaky.
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 5th Jul 11, 11:02 PM
    • 9,599 Posts
    • 10,759 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    So DCFC79 either works for Innocent or is missing the point.
    Have you considered that it might just be that they get the point but disagree with your opinion?
    • geordieracer
    • By geordieracer 5th Jul 11, 11:03 PM
    • 2,418 Posts
    • 1,908 Thanks
    geordieracer
    Holy smoke! Do you guys work for Innocent or something! They have not marked the new cartons in any way that makes you think it is not 1 litre. They have merely shrunk the carton whereas they should have made it perfectly clear with something on the front of the carton. Wake-up please!
    Why is it when people dont get the replies they want to here on this forum do they always always think you work for them?

As with most other things they have reduced the size to help keep the price low enough that they sell the same amount. It mentions it on the carton it mentions it on the shelf sticker. If you dont want to look at things and didnt notice that the carton was smaller - I mean after all you have been buying the 1 litre for 6 years now and wouldve got used to how big a litre sized carton was and the change - then you only have yourself to blame.

Either that or they keep it the same size and put the price up. Which you would moan about too

so they cant win and you should read things more.
    one of the famous 5
  • anguk
    It's not just Innocent who are doing this, many other companies are reducing the size of their products, less crisps in a bag, less biscuits in a pack etc. For example how many bottles of squash used to be 1 litre but they're now 750ml? Companies have a choice of putting the prices up or reducing the size, consumers are more likely to notice a rise in price so they reduce the size instead.

I'm sure there's been a thread about the reduction in product sizes, it may have been on the old style board.
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 5th Jul 11, 11:21 PM
    • 30,301 Posts
    • 19,166 Thanks
    DCFC79
    Dcfc79 You are missing the point. It is underhand selling and should not be condoned.
    I do get it, things have reduced i size so less bang for your buck but i dont see it as an issue to get riled about. Well tell it to mars and them appletiser drinks are reduced in size, oh and theres a drink thats been reduced in size as well, walls cornetto ice creams have gotten smaller too. I do remember somewhere about the drinks being reduced in size, might have been 1 of the threads on here.

Its just how it is these days, the packs/cartons etc are getting smaller.

SO would you rather innocent goes out of business for selling the 1 litre at its original price but the cost to make them(ingedients, staff costs) increases and increases to a point where either innocent goes out of business or the carton size is reduced.

It might be underhand if ingredients of poor quality were used and price per unit doubled in price
    Last edited by DCFC79; 05-07-2011 at 11:43 PM.
    • rabidbun
    • By rabidbun 5th Jul 11, 11:28 PM
    • 316 Posts
    • 233 Thanks
    rabidbun
    My Sainsburys had the offer on for the 1L smoothies. Alas they had none and the shelves were stocked with the new size. They were very nice about it though when I took them the shelf labels, apparently it was a printing error.

Hate the new size change - the small cartons are too small and the big ones too large to get my normal four days worth of drinks from them. The ones using cheaper ingredients (strawberry and banana for example) seem to have gone up in price too to match the more expensive berry ones. Unfortunately I need to have a smoothie per day to stay healthy, but I will be looking for other options than Innocent now.
    • MamaMoo
    • By MamaMoo 5th Jul 11, 11:42 PM
    • 2,430 Posts
    • 4,756 Thanks
    MamaMoo
    Actually, they have. If you look on the argon, it says 750ml! That, to me at least, is a way of marking the carton to make me think it's not 1L.
    Also, the physical change in size is a dea giveaway.
    Or have I got this wrong? Are they in fact still using the same size cartons, marked as being 1L, and only filling them 3/4 of the way up?
    • Helix
    • By Helix 5th Jul 11, 11:42 PM
    • 2,325 Posts
    • 1,410 Thanks
    Helix
    They will have marked it, if the carton still says 1 litre on it and only contains 750ml then that is illegal. So they will have put 750ml on the carton, not their problem if you are too lazy to look.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

189Posts Today

1,809Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @TfLTravelAlerts: Oxford Circus and Bond Street stations now both reopened and all trains are stopping normally.

• RT @metpoliceuk: We have not located any trace of suspects, evidence of shots fired or casualties. Officers still on scene. If you are in a?

• My hopes and prayers are that this turns out to be nothing. Stay safe.

• Follow Martin