Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Essential Money > Budgeting & Bank Accounts > Can't access Santander online banking without reg... (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Can't access Santander online banking without registering OTP on phone.
Views: 10,605
# 1
Ogre De Flamme
Old 05-07-2011, 8:16 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Can't access Santander online banking without registering OTP on phone.

It is not possible to login to Santnader online banking without a mobile phone and registering for One time passcode (OTP).
Does anyone have a work around ? When logging in, It says :
"If you do not have a mobile phone please contact us on 0845 600 4388 to access your Online Banking, lines are open from 7am to 11pm Monday to Saturday, and 9am to 9pm on a Sunday."
Has anyone done this and what happens?
The only other option is to register….. unless the 'prefer to register later' becomes available after 11pm ?
Answers please from users with experience.
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
dzug1
Old 05-07-2011, 8:26 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

You can logon - but you can't do much.

Start the registration process - then decline its T&C. You'll then have read only access to your account.
# 3
Dr_Cuckoo3
Old 05-07-2011, 11:37 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogre De Flamme View Post
It is not possible to login to Santnader online banking without a mobile phone and registering for One time passcode (OTP).

The only other option is to register….. unless the 'prefer to register later' becomes available after 11pm ?
Answers please from users with experience.
No - it does not become available after 11pm (I attempted after 11pm today)

It is not possible to proceed past the registation page without entering a mobile phone number now

I also have an A&L account and can still use that to transact on all accounts - I am unable to use Santander/Abbey internet banking

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzug1 View Post
You can logon - but you can't do much.

Start the registration process - then decline its T&C. You'll then have read only access to your account.
incorrect
Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
The Following User Says Thank You to Dr_Cuckoo3 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
Emptystar
Old 07-07-2011, 9:51 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

You need to ring Santander Online banking technical help on 0845 600 4388 and ask them to remove that page. They're open from 7am to 11pm Monday-Saturday and 9-9 on Sunday I think? They can just remove the page, but you won't be able to set new first time payments up without the OTP. Instead you'll have to ring them or go in branch old fashioned style.
# 5
dzug1
Old 08-07-2011, 8:49 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Cuckoo3 View Post

incorrect
Then it's changed very recently - it worked for me for quite a while. (You had to do it every time you logged on)

As I've closed the account in the last couple of weeks I can't check what the current situation is
# 6
clareabella666
Old 08-07-2011, 9:30 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I had the same problem, kept declining it and in the end they removed the option to decline As i have no mobile i had to use the OH'S in the end, they just sent a pin to his phone but as of yet i havn't had to use it.
# 7
td_007
Old 10-07-2011, 7:06 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Thumbs down

Now there is the option to "upgrade" the online banking page which means setting up more security info - though must admit that it now looks more streamlined and professional than before. Does not mean that customer service is any better
# 8
pb3
Old 12-07-2011, 5:33 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by clareabella666 View Post
I had the same problem, kept declining it and in the end they removed the option to decline As i have no mobile i had to use the OH'S in the end, they just sent a pin to his phone but as of yet i havn't had to use it.
This must be a pretty recent development. I have been happily clicking the "register later" button for ages, and it is still there. I logged on earlier today.

I'll be one very unhappy bunny if they try to force me into it, especially since you need to accept a load of T&Cs as part of the registration. The cheek of it all!
The Following User Says Thank You to pb3 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
Ogre De Flamme
Old 07-08-2011, 11:21 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Decided to take 25 pounds in compensation from Santander and move my account.
Probably take too long to get the FOS to look at it.
# 10
reclusive46
Old 08-08-2011, 12:10 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

You can receive text messages on your landline or doesn't this work with the Santander OTP? Also my grandad didn't have a mobile and as he had been such a good customer (Apparently) they gave him some small amount to buy a phone lol
# 11
valballard
Old 11-08-2011, 9:53 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default santander: registration of mobile phone for internet banking

I complained to Santander when I found out that I would have to register a mobile phone in order to manage my current account successfully. I told them that the new rules could be interpreted as discriminating against people without a mobile, those who cannot afford to ring 0845 numbers and those unable to visit a branch. The reply I recieved was a one sentence letter with leaflet about how to complain.

I do not fit into the categories outlined above but have decided to move my current account to another bank. I have been a customer for over 30 years (with giro bank and A and L before transfer to Santander). It is a nuisance to have to do it but I always vote with my feet.

I mentioned my decision to transfer my current account when visiting a Nationwide branch I currently have my cash isa with and was told that they were getting a number of applications from disatisfied customers of Santander. I think I will transfer to First Direct.
The Following User Says Thank You to valballard For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
bengal-stripe
Old 11-08-2011, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by valballard View Post
I complained to Santander when I found out that I would have to register a mobile phone in order to manage my current account successfully.

I do find the Santander mobile phone text message system much more convenient than the card readers other banks ask you to use.
After all, you only need it if you want to set-up a new transfer-payee, not for everyday banking.

Are you sure that First Direct has not one or the other system in place? And if they don't use it at present,
has no intention ever to introduce it?
# 13
notbritishgas
Old 11-08-2011, 4:23 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I have just received the message from Santander saying my A&L account will shortly be moved to Santander and that registering my mobile would be required to fully use my account.

Reading the FAQ's and the info available I have no problem with doing that, especially as it is designed to protect my account from some unauthorised transactions.

My OH has a Barclays account and to fully use that account requires a PinSentry (think thats what it is called). She has declined that so only has read only access. I think the Santander is a better system.

Yorkshire BSociety use a similar system to Santander for high risk transactions, sending a robotic message to your home phone, similar I suppose to a text message.
# 14
colinsmithathome
Old 30-10-2011, 1:56 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Me Too

Dear All,

I've just transferred from A&L to Santander and have also discovered the requirement for a portable telephone in order to access all accounts.

I will be moving from Santander, probably back to First Direct. It is a ridiculous over complication to what is already a secure process IMHO,

regards,
Colin
# 15
MKBS
Old 12-01-2012, 5:17 PM
MoneySaving Convert

For my biz account I've been clicking through with the OTP "register later" option for as long as I can remember... until this morning when access to my account was denied until I rang Santander's freephone number to confirm I didn't want OTP.

Of course, I vented, just a little. I was told I could get a cheap cellular telephone apparatus from a store such as Tesco (which I rarely visit). My reluctance is predicated on the poor reach of these new-fangled radio waves to my address; and little need for such a telephone: I don't get out much.

Other banks issue their own card readers. Santander are no doubt correct that such readers are more likely to be misplaced, or unavailable when needed, than one's `phone, but PayPal manage to send PINs to landlines, which is a system requiring no additional equipment. No doubt they can send to a registered mobile number, too.

In my own case, I've got all my foreseeable regular payments set up. For any new ones I'll either have to ring up Santander, or transfer the funds to my non-Santander current account first.
# 16
claire16c
Old 12-01-2012, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notbritishgas View Post

My OH has a Barclays account and to fully use that account requires a PinSentry (think thats what it is called). She has declined that so only has read only access. I think the Santander is a better system.
I thought if you logged into barclays using the old 5 digit pin they gave you you could still access your account, or even set it up so that you could do that? I use the pinsentry thing so Ive obviously never tried it, but I thought I read on the website that you could do that.

I dont know why you want to decline using it though if it means you can't do online banking?
# 17
saracornwall
Old 19-01-2012, 10:44 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

OH well I read all your posts and sigh - I don't have a bank account so we use my husbands and we can't get another account or make this one joint because my credit rating is too low, so this is what we are left with BUT BUT BUT we live in an area with no signal. Tonight we tried phoning the 0845 number, but they wouldn't pass us through security because I am in charge of the money and he had no idea who paid what so when I gave him the info verbally they refused it. My husband ended up driving 3 miles and phoning my landline with an OTP hopefully before the session expired only to find that they 'couldn't make a change due to technical issues please try again late'. SO I can't change it, but I really really would if I could. any other foot voters have my support.
# 18
dosh37
Old 04-02-2012, 9:39 AM
MoneySaving Convert

I've just hit this issue with my Santander (originally Abbey) business bank account.
Like many others I declined the registration process for months because I am unable to receive a mobile signal.
Now there seems to be no option. Why can't they use secure email to send a OTP instead?

I don't have much faith in an organisation that can't even get the spelling correct on their registration page...

Set Up One Time Passcode (OTP) service - Register

Please enter your mobile phone number below leaving out the leading zero and any spaces. For example, if your UK mobile phone number is 07712123XXX:
  • You shoud enter 7717123XXX
  • You shoud NOT enter 07717 123 XXX
Wen I was at skool, shoud was spelt wiv an 'l', innit.

Last edited by dosh37; 04-02-2012 at 9:47 AM.
# 19
rb10
Old 04-02-2012, 8:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosh37 View Post
Why can't they use secure email to send a OTP instead?
Because email is by its very nature not secure.
# 20
adamc260
Old 04-02-2012, 9:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosh37 View Post
I don't have much faith in an organisation that can't even get the spelling correct on their registration page...
They're not the first and won't be the last.