Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Jenny
    • By MSE Jenny 28th Jun 11, 5:34 PM
    • 1,218Posts
    • 3,554Thanks
    MSE Jenny
    Solar Panel Guide Discussion
    • 28th Jun 11, 5:34 PM
    Solar Panel Guide Discussion 28th Jun 11 at 5:34 PM
    This is the discussion area for the

Solar Panels Guide

Please click reply to discuss

Page 129
    • zeupater
    • By zeupater 21st Apr 16, 9:36 PM
    • 3,746 Posts
    • 4,619 Thanks
    zeupater
    Hi

Just a consideration to stir into the thought-train .... we have a chimney in a similar position in the roof slope (although not a roof with pv) and occasionally need access to clean out the moss, sand, soil etc which collects in the lead back gutter and side flashing. Last Autumn the chimney pot received a present in the form of a shiny new cowl so whilst up there I removed loads of rubbish - as such I'd be wary of restricting access to the chimney stack or the leadwork around it unless it was considered totally necessary ....

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    • pinnks
    • By pinnks 22nd Apr 16, 8:09 AM
    • 522 Posts
    • 1,166 Thanks
    pinnks
    Chimneys are never good from a shade perspective and the advice above is good. I would suggest taking a look at the roof every hour or so on a sunny day to watch the shadow tracking across the roof.

It won't cause many issue with generation while the panels are not in full sun (maybe from 10am at this time of year on your roof) but would from then until about 6pm at the moment. in summer the sun is higher, so shadows shorter; in winter the opposite, so you can make a good guess based on what happens in April.

You would probably have 2 groups of panels feeding 1 inverter, each subject to it own shading issues but if any panel on a group (string) is covered to more than 5% or 10% by shadow you will lose 90% of generation from the whole string with a normal inverter and only the contribution of the shaded panel with SolarEdge kit.

I lose about 3kWh per sunny day because of my chimney, based on a drop of just 67% for 3 hours shade. it could be more like 4 plus. so shading "hurts". Not so bad with low FITs but frustrating/annoying to see the roof in full sun but production at 10% because of a small shadow.

SE solves that for a small upfront investment, as does removing the cause of the shadow. if you search on my posts you will find some of my musings on the issue....
    Wiltshire - 5.25kWp
    3.5kWp: 14 x Phono Solar 250 Onyx, Sunny Boy 4000TL, WSW 40 degrees, June 2013
    1.75kWp: 7 x Phono Solar 250 Onyx, Sunny Boy 1600TL, SSE 45 degrees, March 2014
    • Hemel Saint
    • By Hemel Saint 22nd Apr 16, 11:42 AM
    • 71 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    Hemel Saint
    Hi All
    once again thanks for all the incredible support.
    As I now see... how small things (chimney) to a novice like me can change the overall dynamics of a system.

So the sytem I will be looking to quote for is:-
    • As many panels as poss on SW roof (250w or 285w). potential is 17x 285w
    • a Solar Edge 3.68kw capped inverter (or Micro Inverters), to cope with Chimney Stack
    • An Immersion Throttle/Converter (ie Apollo GEM/I Boost)
    • OWL monitor
    • no to a Voltage Optimiser
    again, have I got this about right?

thanks all.
    Mark
    • theboylard
    • By theboylard 22nd Apr 16, 12:35 PM
    • 1,131 Posts
    • 2,759 Thanks
    theboylard
    As someone who has had a string inverter with a chinmey shade problem, I can heartily recommend SolarEdge!
    My installer has gone the way of many on here, and probably for the better based on my experience.

I originally had an SMA string inverter (actually still have it in the garage, nowt wrong with it, it is for sale), but I was wrongly advised on the shade from the chimney.
    I bought the SE kit myself , and had cowboys inc install it so they couldn't moan in the future about others messing with the install.

Here's ma hoose with panels, and the output from a nice day with Solaredge - it's last year but it shows what was happening to my gen with a string inverter and how the SolarEdge kit copes with shading...

From the solaredge pic above, this shows that top left panel, which is sat right next to the chimney, as losing around 40% of generation. The one under it is affected but not by much.
    With a string inverter, and mine was installed with 2 strings, top row and bottom row, if one panel is affected then all on that string are. So in the pic above, my generation for that day would have been around 5kWh less for the one day.
    Take that and do some number trickery and the generaion losses over the year, 20 year, expected lifetime of the system are potentially massive.

Oh, for the Owl - save yourself some money and buy mine off me, not using it so it may as well go to a good home!

And if you want to save even more money, I have 31 Solaredge P300 optimisers sitting in my garage, never used!

But listen to Mart and Tunnel, they'll steer you right.

Good luck
    4kWp, SSE, 16 x 250w EcoFuture BoB with retro-fitted SolarEdge P300 optimisers & SE3500 Inverter, in occasionally sunny Corby, Northants.
    • Hemel Saint
    • By Hemel Saint 28th Apr 16, 6:51 PM
    • 71 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    Hemel Saint
    As so many people have helped me with this task, just wanted to keep folks updated...
    A second supplier quote is in and is a lot closer to where we need to be. they are visiting the house next week to confirm the exact size and requirements.

I will update the forum following this visit.
    thanks again for all the assistance.
    cheers
    Mark
    • oliverrichmond67
    • By oliverrichmond67 30th Apr 16, 11:13 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    oliverrichmond67
    Here is a small guide. If you've been thinking about going solar, there's no better time than now to do it. Government financial incentives are still ripe for the picking, the cost of photovoltaic (PV) cells is falling every day, and you'll probably be the first person on your block to make the jump. Adding solar energy to your house is an excellent project for several reasons: You'll save loads on electricity, and may even be able to sell some of yours back to the utility company; you'll reduce your carbon footprint; and if you're installing in a remote location (such as a cabin), you'll have much less to worry about than you would with a gasoline generator. You'll also support a growing industry, and in doing so, help contribute to the worldwide adoption of this wonderful new energy source.
    • zeupater
    • By zeupater 30th Apr 16, 1:50 PM
    • 3,746 Posts
    • 4,619 Thanks
    zeupater
    Here is a small guide. If you've been thinking about going solar, there's no better time than now to do it. Government financial incentives are still ripe for the picking, the cost of photovoltaic (PV) cells is falling every day, and you'll probably be the first person on your block to make the jump. Adding solar energy to your house is an excellent project for several reasons: You'll save loads on electricity, and may even be able to sell some of yours back to the utility company; you'll reduce your carbon footprint; and if you're installing in a remote location (such as a cabin), you'll have much less to worry about than you would with a gasoline generator. You'll also support a growing industry, and in doing so, help contribute to the worldwide adoption of this wonderful new energy source.
    Originally posted by oliverrichmond67
    Why, oh why ? .....

Why do new members appear and attempt to build-up credibility and postcount in such an obvious way ? ..... Paraphrasing, here's a small tip - when posting on solar in the UK it'd be far less obvious to not cut & paste from an article published in another country which utilises phraseology which is more common in english speaking countries far from those to be found on islands off the coast of continental europe.

Now, considering that so many threads were read and posted on in such a short time (5 in ~30 minutes) are we to expect a deluge of spam to follow ?, if so, please be aware that the abovereferenced post will be totally ripped apart by both those with negative views on solar pv and those who have long-term experience of the technology through ownership .... best to do some serious research before attempting to spam on these boards then ...

Z
    Last edited by zeupater; 30-04-2016 at 1:57 PM.
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    • Hemel Saint
    • By Hemel Saint 28th May 16, 2:44 PM
    • 71 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    Hemel Saint
    Hello All
    An update following all the brilliant advice and support from members on this forum.

We were recommended a supplier from one of the forum members, who we also invited to quote. They were great in offering suggestions / advice rather than 'selling' us everything.

Their advice was similar to the suggestions given by the forum members and their price was where we needed to be, so we gave them the contract.

The panels were installed a couple days ago.
    15x 265w on the SE roof
    Solar Edge optimisers
    Immersion Converter (I Boost)
    £5,200

The install company were great. the team were friendly, polite and efficient.
    The only let-down was the scaffolding company they sub-contract out too.

Will happily share the name and details of the Solar company we used. Just drop me a private message.
    I had good service from them and happy to recommend.

Thanks again everyone for your help.
    Cheers
    Last edited by Hemel Saint; 28-05-2016 at 2:49 PM. Reason: rubbish spellings!!
    • Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 28th May 16, 3:30 PM
    • 5,948 Posts
    • 10,005 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    Hiya Mark, that sounds great. Taking off the diverter and some extra costs for a SolarEdge system would suggest a price of perhaps £4.6k to £4.8k which is pretty good.

Hope it all runs well. Drop in on the 'talking bout our generation' thread to chat about gen, and see how it all goes in the first few months, and any problems or concerns.

Well done.

Mart.
    Just 'call me Mart'. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
    • ShaunD
    • By ShaunD 14th Apr 17, 1:00 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ShaunD
    feedin tariff
    As electric bills are due to rise dose that mean, what I get payed as a generator from my solar panels will go up ?
    • zeupater
    • By zeupater 14th Apr 17, 9:03 PM
    • 3,746 Posts
    • 4,619 Thanks
    zeupater
    As electric bills are due to rise dose that mean, what I get payed as a generator from my solar panels will go up ?
    Originally posted by ShaunD
    Hi

Welcome to the Forum ...

Tariff & deemed export rates are automatically adjusted at the beginning of April each year to reflect inflation (RPI) .... details & latest tables are to be found on the Ofgem site .... ( https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/environmental-programmes/fit/fit-tariff-rates ) ...

HTH
    Z
    • ShaunD
    • By ShaunD 17th Apr 17, 6:08 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ShaunD
    Thanks for reply I will check ofgem web site out.
    • ShaunD
    • By ShaunD 17th Apr 17, 6:22 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ShaunD
    feedin tariff
    Is there a switching site that will tell me which utility company will give me the best price for my electricity that I generate from my panels ? I'm currently with EDF & I've never had any problems but are they the best.
    As a supplier I find there pricing good, the most I've been able to save by swapping adds up to about £20 a year so I'm sticking with them.
    • ASavvyBuyer
    • By ASavvyBuyer 17th Apr 17, 7:00 PM
    • 530 Posts
    • 1,372 Thanks
    ASavvyBuyer
    Is there a switching site that will tell me which utility company will give me the best price for my electricity that I generate from my panels ? I'm currently with EDF & I've never had any problems but are they the best.
    As a supplier I find there pricing good, the most I've been able to save by swapping adds up to about £20 a year so I'm sticking with them.
    Originally posted by ShaunD
    All the utility companies pay the same amount (according to your contract for FIT payment) so there is no benefit in changing which company you are signed up with (unless you have problems with them).

We are with EDF too for FIT and have not had any problems and they are very speedy at making the payments.

You can use any other company for your electric supply, without changing FIT company. We changed from EDF to E.on and then to Iresa to get the best value for our usage.
    Rhondda Cynon Taf, 4kWp, W roof, 30° pitch, 16 x 8.33 Eternity 250w E+10 panels, Solar Edge SE4000-16A Inverter + P300 Optimisers & REUK Diverter
    + Toshiba RAS-10G2KVP-E Ultra High Efficiency Air Conditioner/Heat Pump
    • NigeWick
    • By NigeWick 18th Apr 17, 10:16 AM
    • 2,726 Posts
    • 1,040 Thanks
    NigeWick
    All the utility companies pay the same amount (according to your contract for FIT payment) so there is no benefit in changing which company you are signed up with (unless you have problems with them).
    Originally posted by ASavvyBuyer
    First Utility are taking two months from reading to payment. I am going with Ecotricity for my gas and electric and will see if I can get my FiT from them too. Unless someone can tell me they're even slower that FU.....
    The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it, the more it will contract.
    Oliver Wendell Holmes
    • JOhnHazelden
    • By JOhnHazelden 18th Apr 17, 6:41 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    JOhnHazelden
    Heard of "The Solar Centre"?
    I have had panels since 2010 but my installer went out of business a couple of years ago.
    I have now been contacted, out of the blue, by a lady claiming to be "The Solar Centre" and she wants to send an engineer around to carry out a warranty service.
    I'm concerned this is a scam just to get me to spend money with them.
    Has anyone had similar calls or know anything about them?
    Many thanks.
    • zeupater
    • By zeupater 18th Apr 17, 8:11 PM
    • 3,746 Posts
    • 4,619 Thanks
    zeupater
    I have had panels since 2010 but my installer went out of business a couple of years ago.
    I have now been contacted, out of the blue, by a lady claiming to be "The Solar Centre" and she wants to send an engineer around to carry out a warranty service.
    Many thanks.
    Originally posted by JOhnHazelden
    Hi

Welcome to the forum ...

If you can, check your call history and search the web for who called from that number .... there seem to be plenty of similar calls reported, particularly from an 07468... number which have been annoying people for quite some time .... usual ploy seems to be to offer a free 'check-up' supposedly linked to some government scheme or other but require signatures & charge for a pro-active 'repair' of some kind or other ... If that's the case, from what I've read the callers don't seem to have much patience, often resulting in verbal abuse, so not much of a sense of humour or business acumen ...

Check the number & if they ring again simply ask for details of registered office address, qualifications, approved schemes, liability insurance, VAT registration number etc .... that usually separates the genuine businesses from the scammers ....

HTH
    Z
    • jimjames
    • By jimjames 18th Apr 17, 8:21 PM
    • 12,095 Posts
    • 10,545 Thanks
    jimjames
    Many thanks.
    Originally posted by JOhnHazelden
    There is no requirement for any warranty service on solar panels - they just work so unless you actually have a fault this is likely to be a scam.
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
    • JOhnHazelden
    • By JOhnHazelden 18th Apr 17, 10:28 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    JOhnHazelden
    The Solar Centre
    Thanks for that feedback and for your welcome..
    The number came up as withheld so I couldn't check it.
    I was short of time today so I just put her on hold till later in the week.
    I'll feedback after that next call from her what I manage to find out.
    Thanks again.
    John
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,239Posts Today

7,548Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin