IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Anglian Windows - any good?
Closed Thread
Views: 24,117
# 1
travel_freak
Old 20-12-2006, 8:11 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Default Anglian Windows - any good?

Hello,

Today I had a quote for replacement UPVC windows from Anglian. This is the third quote I've had and I have Everest coming on Friday. Anglian is the cheapest so far by over 1,000 which is a huge amount. The others I've had have been smaller independent local firms but ones who are on local vetted tradesman forums.

The Anglian salesman told me they never normally sell their windows this cheaply and it's because they are offering them at basically factory/cost price due to December having been very quiet. Not sure if this is sales patter? Certainly the spec/quality of the windows (according to the sales patter and the brochure!!) seems to be excellent.

I tried to ask for a discount on the price he gave, just to test the water, but although the salesman made a call to his boss, I didn't succeed.

Just wondering if anyone has any comments on Anglian - having had work carried out and if so if you'd recommend their service, quality of windows and price?

Many thanks.

Regards,
# 2
ScoobieGirl
Old 20-12-2006, 8:17 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I've heard lots of bad things about Anglian & Everest - poor installation, poor after care. I'd recommend a local firm. I used one both times (two differnt ones in different counties) and was very pleased.

The Following User Says Thank You to ScoobieGirl For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
EthelBloggs
Old 20-12-2006, 8:17 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Location: On a Star That I Can't Reach... Somewhere out there..

my anglian windows are 10 years old now and I absolutely can't fault them. they keep the cold out, reduce noise from outside, are easy to clean, the locks work well.. brilliant

hth
☆ gr cT pn ☆
Murphys no more pies club Member #41
12 stone down!
Tiff Appreciation Society Member #2

The Following User Says Thank You to EthelBloggs For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
alanobrien
Old 20-12-2006, 9:59 PM

With big national fitting companies how good they seem will always come down to the local branch. A friend of mine recently had his place done by Anglia and he is more than pleased with the price and finish.

That said clearly a lot of people are not happy with them. Best option is to get a recommendation from a friend if possible other than that you make yer choice.
The Following User Says Thank You to alanobrien For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
Lungman
Old 21-12-2006, 9:29 AM
MoneySaving Convert

We had ours fitted by Anglian in Feb this year the fitters did an excellent job and we've had no problems with them (although admittedly they are less than one year old!) .

Someone down our street had them and we asked them if they would recommend them - which they did.

But as alanobrien said it is quite often a matter of the fitters used by the national companies, although the product itself is obviously an important consideration.

Recommendation from friends and neighbours is definitely an important consideration.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lungman For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
travel_freak
Old 21-12-2006, 1:11 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Default Thanks!

Many thanks for taking the time to reply and everyone's helpful comments.

Anglian did tell me they've fitted windows in other houses in our street so I think I'll ask them if they can put me in touch in some way with these people so I can find out if they were happy with the service they had.

They did give me all the "patter" about how their company is unusual because their fitters are only paid half of their money and have to wait 9 weeks for the other half in case there are any complaints about the standard of fitting and then the fitters pay is docked directly. The sales guy says this gives them an incentive to ensure a good job is done.

I can't help myself, I just can never entirely believe what I hear from salesmen, but the quote is very good.

Regards
# 7
Avoriaz
Old 22-12-2006, 2:23 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Go by local recommendation as the fitters are just as important, if not more so, than the windows themselves. Ask around amongst friends and neighbours.

Don’t buy on price, buy on value. If you are confident with Anglian and the price is right go with them, but do check out at least two other companies. Check with local as well as national companies. Make sure that you are comparing like with like.

We had full double glazing including a huge set of patio doors installed by Anglian in 1986, plus another two windows and a door in an extension in 1993 and they are perfect. Even the 20 year old windows and patio door still look almost brand new so my personal experience is good but there are probably as many horror stories with Anglian as anyone else.

And 20 years is a long time and the company may have changed a lot, and of course you won’t have the same fitters that we had.

Good luck.
The Following User Says Thank You to Avoriaz For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
itsbeef
Old 22-12-2006, 7:50 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Always go by word of mouth when buying DG.

I had Anglia visit for a quote and it came in at £14,750 which apparently INCLUDED a 30% discount!!!!

I remembered an old friend who took over his fathers DG business, gave him a call and he recently finished fitting 8 large windows, back door, 3 large bays, one pair of patio doors and a small windows for £5,100!!!!!!!!

The windows all came from the same manufacturers as the Anglian windows but as his overheads were smaller he didnt have to add on the extra £9,000!

Well worth looking at smaller companies but only if you get good feedback from word of mouth.

Where abots are you? If in Exeter, Devon I can get you his number.....?

:confused:
The Following User Says Thank You to itsbeef For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
Optimist
Old 22-12-2006, 7:56 AM

I agree with the above have a look at smaller local companies. Ask your neighbours for recommendations. There was several thousand pounds difference in cost between quotes when I had my windows replaced. Went with a small local guy and the service was brilliant
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts."

Bertrand Russell. British author, mathematician, & philosopher (1872 - 1970)
The Following User Says Thank You to Optimist For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
Moneymaker
Old 22-12-2006, 10:42 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I used a small company to install my windows over 10 years ago. I had to call them out to replace a handle that wasn't working. When I checked my invoice the windows had been installed 9 years and 364 days previously. I thought they were well out of guarantee. But the guy looked at my invoice said "that's lucky - still inside the 10 years" and spent two hours up a ladder in freezing cold at night, to fix it. Didn't charge me a penny. Later on he asked me to sponsor his son in some charity event so I was very happy to give him a tenner.

I would go for a local guy every time!
The Following User Says Thank You to Moneymaker For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
travel_freak
Old 22-12-2006, 9:03 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Default Hi and thanks

Just to add my thanks again for the latest posts. All good advice.

Itsbeef - what a staggering difference in price! Well done you. Just to say thanks for the offer but unfortunately I'm in Middlesex, nowhere near Devon, otherwise I would gladly have taken you up on the offer of your recommendation.

Regards,
# 12
david69
Old 23-12-2006, 10:35 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsbeef
Always go by word of mouth when buying DG.

I had Anglia visit for a quote and it came in at 14,750 which apparently INCLUDED a 30% discount!!!!

I remembered an old friend who took over his fathers DG business, gave him a call and he recently finished fitting 8 large windows, back door, 3 large bays, one pair of patio doors and a small windows for 5,100!!!!!!!!

The windows all came from the same manufacturers as the Anglian windows but as his overheads were smaller he didnt have to add on the extra 9,000!

Well worth looking at smaller companies but only if you get good feedback from word of mouth.

Where abots are you? If in Exeter, Devon I can get you his number.....?

:confused:
with reference to this quote 'all the windows came from the same manufacturers as anglian '
Anglian makes their own window's from scratch unlike most local companies who buy their windows in and anglian do not make window's for other companies.

As far as the product is concerned it is at the top end of the market not all upvc window's are the same but however good the product is alot of it is down to the how good the fitter's are.
hope this help's
# 13
tomstickland
Old 23-12-2006, 10:52 PM

You have to ask how they can afford to employ salesmen who are prepared to spend hours and hours not making sales.
Oh dear.
# 14
italiastar
Old 23-12-2006, 10:52 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I wouldn't trust ANYTHING a salesperson say's - in my experience they mislead, lie and couldn't give a ......... once you've signed to contract - this applies to all companies.

I once had an Anglian salesperson tell me to "go forth and multiply" when I was asking questions about their warranty. Despite this, they fitted my windows a few years ago and were excellent - they were the cheapest (partly due to the 1st incident) and the fitters were excellent.

Last edited by italiastar; 23-12-2006 at 11:05 PM.
# 15
ScoobieGirl
Old 23-12-2006, 11:01 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by italiastar
I once had an Anglian salesperson tell me to "go forth and multipy"
Eh? I don't understand!:confused:

# 16
italiastar
Old 23-12-2006, 11:07 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoobieGirl
Eh? I don't understand!:confused:
Go forth = "Off"

Multiply = the act of reproduction.

Swap the two around and you have - (act of reproduction) off !
# 17
oldandhappy
Old 23-12-2006, 11:12 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

We had Anglian windows at our first house and they where very good after 20plus years(in fact our youngest Son worked there in the warehouse at the time so got a good deal price wise)...We moved to 'this' place and happened to have Angilan Windows again...fitted around 15 years ago now and they are excellent. Mrs Happy
# 18
Avoriaz
Old 24-12-2006, 1:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomstickland
You have to ask how they can afford to employ salesmen who are prepared to spend hours and hours not making sales.
Easily; the salesmen are on commission only.

Anglian etc only have to pay them if and when they sell something. The only cost to Anglian is recruitment and training costs.
# 19
Avoriaz
Old 24-12-2006, 1:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by david69
with reference to this quote 'all the windows came from the same manufacturers as anglian '
Anglian makes their own window's from scratch unlike most local companies who buy their windows in and anglian do not make window's for other companies.

As far as the product is concerned it is at the top end of the market not all upvc window's are the same but however good the product is alot of it is down to the how good the fitter's are.
hope this help's
That was certainly true 25 years ago. In the early 1980s I worked for Hoechst selling plastic raw materials to industry and Anglian were a potential client for our PVC. I think the owner was called George Williams and his factory and home base was near Norwich. He made all his own windows and did not supply anyone else. I invited him to Frankfurt to see our PVC production facilities and visit some German reference sites. He agreed to go but insisted we travel in his private jet which was fun though we never got much business from him. At the time they were certainly producing some of the best quality windows around and that is one of the reasons why I chose Anglian when I did my own house, a decision I never regretted. Another key reason was that I liked the profile of their window frames which closely emulated traditional wooden frames. The double glazing units were also high quality and we have not had a single failure nor any condensation between the two panes

I chose them again for an extension 5 years later and again was absolutely delighted with the result. High quality windows professionally installed that still look almost new many years later.

Im well out of date now but I would not be surprised if Anglian are still at the top of the tree as far as quality is concerned.

Of course so much still depends on the local fitters but Anglian would certainly be on my shortlist if I ever needed windows again.
# 20
mystic_fish
Old 16-01-2007, 12:47 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

I have just had a new uPVC door fitted by Everest - pricey and to be honest not a bad job but customer serivce is shocking - AVOID at all costs!
Closed Thread