Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Essential Money > Insurance & Life Assurance > Shower screen shattered ; building or contents cl... (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Shower screen shattered ; building or contents claim?
Closed Thread
Views: 3,073
# 1
Rotor
Old 27-06-2011, 2:28 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default Shower screen shattered ; building or contents claim?

Hi, as posted, the screen spontaneously shattered. It has been in 5 years , the plumbers who fitted it are no longer around and we don't know who manufactured it so can't get a replacement so looks likely the whole unit needs replacing and retiling etc.( probably 4 figure sum?).
is this a contents item or a buildings insurance claim? and it would come under accidental damage section right?

Thanks in advance
# 2
intranix
Old 27-06-2011, 2:30 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

why would it be buildings insurance?
The Following User Says Thank You to intranix For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
dacouch
Old 27-06-2011, 2:58 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Although spontaniously shattering may not be covered unless something that is covered caused it to shatter
The Following User Says Thank You to dacouch For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
InsideInsurance
Old 27-06-2011, 3:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden View Post
The test is – can it reasonably be removed and taken to another home?
Have to say that I do prefer the "test" that I was taught, all those years ago, which was
If you turn the house upside down and shook it, everything that would fall out is contents but everything that stayed in is buildings
Given what you are saying about how well fixed it is to the bathroom it does sound like a buildings claim. That said, as has been pointed out, you will need to check that it is an insured peril that caused the damage.
The Following User Says Thank You to InsideInsurance For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
Rotor
Old 27-06-2011, 3:52 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Yes it's definitely fitted ; buildins ins. by the sound of it then. So might the insurance call it faulty workmanship/manufacture (and tell me to go and claim from them) if it spontaneously breaks rather than (say) i slipped and grabbed it causing it to break? hypothetically speaking of course
# 6
Sally A
Old 27-06-2011, 4:02 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideInsurance View Post
If you turn the house upside down and shook it, everything that would fall out is contents but everything that stayed in is buildings
Ha ha! did I teach you in the dim and distant past?? That has been my mantra for the last 30+ years.

Even if you do not have an Accidental Damage policy, quite often AD to fixed glass is included; this should extend to windows, doors, fixed ovens etc.

# 7
InsideInsurance
Old 27-06-2011, 4:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally A View Post
Ha ha! did I teach you in the dim and distant past??
Yes if you used to work in the ex-NU office Perth in circa August 2000
# 8
Sally A
Old 27-06-2011, 4:55 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

No, wasn't me, but could have been the scenario I've been quoting since about 1980

# 9
huckster
Old 27-06-2011, 9:05 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

My dad had this problem with a shattering shower screen. It was something to do with the frame contracting and putting stress on the glass. He took the frame down to the local glass fitters and they fitted new glass cheaper than the value of the excess. If you find a good general glazing firm, you will be surprised by the types of glass they stock.
The Following User Says Thank You to huckster For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
vaio
Old 28-06-2011, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huckster View Post
My dad had this problem with a shattering shower screen. It was something to do with the frame contracting and putting stress on the glass. He took the frame down to the local glass fitters and they fitted new glass cheaper than the value of the excess. If you find a good general glazing firm, you will be surprised by the types of glass they stock.
That was my initial thought too, especially when you add on the likely premium increase/loss of NCB
The Following User Says Thank You to vaio For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
Rotor
Old 28-06-2011, 9:18 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

. It's curved glass though which might be a problem at a local glazier. and having seen the results of this one exploding (bit dramatic I know but there was glass on top of door , above the height of the screen, and ALL over the floor!) I dread to think what might have happened if someone was using the shower. Safe is first priority , then cheap.
Does anyone know if the fact that it happened 'spontaneously' might be used by insurance company to deny it was accidental damage?
Thanks
# 12
*Scarlett
Old 28-06-2011, 7:03 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Check your policy documents for the type of cover that you have. Some buildings policies include accidental damage cover for bathroom fixtures, fittings and fixed glass as standard. With others you might need an extended cover.

It may have had a previous knock to weaken it so you could have caused the damage accidentally without knowing it at the time.

My advice would be to approach your insurer - if you are reasonably sure that you are covered and the excess does not outweigh the claim value.

Be aware that if you advise the insurer of the incident they may record it as a loss against the policy and it would affect future no claims discounts even if you don't proceed with it or they don't pay out.

If you can't find answers in your policy book you could ring them and make it clear that it is an ENQUIRY ONLY on the type of cover that you have.

Hope his helps.
The Following User Says Thank You to *Scarlett For This Useful Post: Show me >>
Closed Thread