IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Npower or edf...
Closed Thread
Views: 2,677
# 1
hezza86
Old 21-06-2011, 4:31 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Npower or edf...

Which of these 2 companies is the lesser of 2 evils.
Im currently with scottish power and looking to move due to price hikes, iv been on comparison sites and cheapest is npower go-fix 6 tariff with edf fixed saver v2 following behind theres estimated 38 difference between the 2. however saving me over 150 a year compared to scottish power.
i take it aswell that these prices that the comparison sites show includes the standing charge (something i dont fully understand)

iv always been either scottish power or british gas and this is the first time im switching. (needing to try save some cash in current climate)

and thought id seek the expertise of people on here.
# 2
mad_rich
Old 21-06-2011, 4:48 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I have to say that customer service is something I rarely consider with an energy company.

Mostly I just pay my money and keep quiet. In fact I don't think I've ever spoken to my current gas supplier on the phone, or by email. If your annual usage is correct and your direct debit is set up correctly, there's no need.

In answer to your other question - yes, the comparison sites include the standing charge, if there is one.
# 3
backfoot
Old 21-06-2011, 5:05 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Based on my own experience I would award NPower 0/10 and EDF 2/10.

The 2 relates to the manner in which EDF have subsequently tried to rectify the many problems with their OS7 product.

In all the years since competition began, the only one I didn't have problems with were Atlantic.

As the other respondent says,you shouldn't really have to anything,but the reality for me has been totally different.
The Following User Says Thank You to backfoot For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
undaunted
Old 21-06-2011, 5:36 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

There is no worse customer service than Npower in the industry - even Ofgem have criticised them in the past.

They are also the company that was found to have "gas scupted" customers, eventually being forced to return 70 million to avoid Consumer Focus taking them to court. Is that really the kind of company you'd want to deal with?
# 5
Old 21-06-2011, 5:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hezza86 View Post
Im currently with scottish power and looking to move due to price hikes
Which tariff are you on with SP and why do you want an over priced fixed tariff?
# 6
hezza86
Old 21-06-2011, 5:48 PM
MoneySaving Convert

im on Online Standard (No Standing Charge)
and though it would be better to change to a fixed tarriff with the way prices are going.
our usage (yearly) is approx electric - 3505kWh and gas - 7189kWh

from the comparison sites edf does get the slightly better customer service scores.
# 7
Old 21-06-2011, 5:58 PM

Quote:
im on Online Standard (No Standing Charge)
and though it would be better to change to a fixed tarriff with the way prices are going.
our usage (yearly) is approx electric - 3505kWh and gas - 7189kWh

from the comparison sites edf does get the slightly better customer service scores.
Well I`m on OES12 and they have whacked that tariff up 38%.
I put my yearly usage into energyhelpline and it came up with SP OES14 followed by their new Direct Oct 2012 tariff.

All the fixed/capped tariffs come well down the list, so I`m going with one of the top two.
This depends on which one they`ll let me switch to.

So even after their rip-off price rise, SP is still the cheapest for me.
# 8
hezza86
Old 21-06-2011, 6:12 PM
MoneySaving Convert

when i do comparisons of all SP are not even near the top of the list for me. it comes up go fix 6 as the best savings and thats with a search on all tarriffs.
then its british gas websaver v12 and edf online saver v12 and a couple of e-on online tarrifs.

scottish power arent even listed
# 9
george1939
Old 21-06-2011, 8:00 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Im currently with scottish power and looking to move due to price hikes, iv been on comparison sites and cheapest is npower go-fix 6 tariff with edf fixed saver v2 following behind theres estimated 38 difference between the 2. however saving me over 150 a year compared to scottish power.
i take it aswell that these prices that the comparison sites show includes the standing charge (something i dont fully understand)

iv always been either scottish power or british gas and this is the first time im switching. (needing to try save some cash in current climate)

Remember after receiving 12 direct debits from [you] Npower give you [105 cash back no catch] So on cost they lead Npower have always [so far answered the telephone in less than 1 to 2 minutes] with a cheerful friendly voices from 3 reprsentatives and one time an E mail sent to me whils't talking to one of them I read it whils't still talking to that person [ perhaps times are now changing] OVO and Atlantic I found friendly too when I was with them [changed due to costings]. and soon answered the phone, could it depend on the time of day?
# 10
Rickster1978
Old 21-06-2011, 8:17 PM
MoneySaving Convert

You sure about that George. I read it as the 105 was discounted from your monthly DD.
# 11
george1939
Old 22-06-2011, 6:22 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickster1978 View Post
You sure about that George. I read it as the 105 was discounted from your monthly DD.
Not so ring Npower Cheers Like Atlantic who give one twelth back into your bank account on month 13
# 12
Old 22-06-2011, 6:45 PM

I have a relative who`s on Npower D/F sign on line something and she gets her 105 back after 12 months.

She gets bills every 6 months and on her second bill she gets a rebate of 105
# 13
luv_my_brass
Old 22-06-2011, 9:02 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:

Ditto to all that!
I'm on no standing charge with SP who keep on putting up my DD due entirely to their prices hikes - my consumption remains pretty much the same year in year out.
moneysavingexpert.com are offering 80 cash back for a dual fuel change with npower. Capped NSC works out at a saving on my current annual bill of around 250 per annum capped until Sept 2012.
All sounds too good to be true, which is why I am here asking for your thoughts.
I have been with SP for a few years now have not had any problems with them so have never had occasion to use their helpline. I do not want to be jumping out of the frying pan into the fire.
Your thoughts please?
if i had known then what i know now
# 14
george1939
Old 23-06-2011, 8:51 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv_my_brass View Post
Ditto to all that!
I'm on no standing charge with SP who keep on putting up my DD due entirely to their prices hikes - my consumption remains pretty much the same year in year out.
moneysavingexpert.com are offering 80 cash back for a dual fuel change with npower. Capped NSC works out at a saving on my current annual bill of around 250 per annum capped until Sept 2012.
All sounds too good to be true, which is why I am here asking for your thoughts.
I have been with SP for a few years now have not had any problems with them so have never had occasion to use their helpline. I do not want to be jumping out of the frying pan into the fire.
Your thoughts please?
Cash 80+ 105 =185 cann't be bad my cash back was 34 with energylinx they have no cash back offer at present. All have spelt it out 'to you' 'for you' to see all cann't do anymore
# 15
victor2
Old 23-06-2011, 8:57 AM

Npower and EDF were coming out the cheapest when I was looking at switching from E.On. Given the bad publicity Npower have recently had, I decided to try EDF. Early days yet, but no great problems so far. Must admit though, I'm not expecting EDF to match E.On's customer service in terms of quality, but you never know, I might be pleasantly surprised.
# 16
norapower
Old 23-06-2011, 3:18 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Npower are the worst of a bad bunch, if you are on monthly DD after being with them for a year the 105 is divided between your next 12 monthly payments. So in actual fact you have to be with them for 2 years to collect the full 105 discount.
# 17
luv_my_brass
Old 23-06-2011, 7:24 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Can anyone tell me what exactly the problems have been with NPower?
if i had known then what i know now
# 18
george1939
Old 23-06-2011, 7:33 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by norapower View Post
Npower are the worst of a bad bunch, if you are on monthly DD after being with them for a year the 105 is divided between your next 12 monthly payments. So in actual fact you have to be with them for 2 years to collect the full 105 discount.
Without the 105 which you do get. I was lucky in May I was just in time for Npower fix 5. A week later fix 6 would have meant an extra 85 per year so at that time May EDF would have been the best option with their fix Sept 2012. Even with npower fix 5. Fix 5 was still 29 per month dearer than ovo's last years price fix This year staying with OVO would have meant 16 per month dearer than Npower fix 5 more if you consider cash back of 34 going over to Npower + the 105 paid after 12 debits received. Impressed with Npowers telephone staff all different people on 3 occasions with no waiting on the phone and all pleasant and helpful as was Atlantic and OVO over the years
Closed Thread