Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • healy
    • By healy 17th Dec 06, 4:08 PM
    • 4,717 Posts
    • 9,346 Thanks
    healy
    • 17th Dec 06, 4:08 PM
    • 17th Dec 06, 4:08 PM
    The lower capital limit for Housing Benefit is £6000 so if you had below that it shoundnt be a problem.
  • scarborosmoggy
    • 17th Dec 06, 4:16 PM
    • 17th Dec 06, 4:16 PM
    Thanks for that, it shouldn't really be anything to do with them as it's not 'income' and we have to pay it back every month,why shouldn't we be allowed to get a loan for a family holiday and enjoy ourselves, its not as if they'd think for example, one week say I had about say 10 left after paying the bills and they can see from my bank statement that this was the case that they'd increase my housing benefits to cover me not having much money left, I just found it a bit strange that they wanted to see what the account was when it had its largest amount in it.
    • healy
    • By healy 17th Dec 06, 4:21 PM
    • 4,717 Posts
    • 9,346 Thanks
    healy
    • 17th Dec 06, 4:21 PM
    • 17th Dec 06, 4:21 PM
    As it is a means tested benefit they need to know that your capital is within the limits all the time so I think the highest amount would be what they need to check.
    • claysam
    • By claysam 17th Dec 06, 7:27 PM
    • 115 Posts
    • 53 Thanks
    claysam
    • 17th Dec 06, 7:27 PM
    • 17th Dec 06, 7:27 PM
    :confused: Would this not be counted as unearned income though. When i receive my student loan, this is calculated as unearned income and then I have to pay an extra 20 per week towads my rent?
  • scarborosmoggy
    • 17th Dec 06, 8:19 PM
    • 17th Dec 06, 8:19 PM
    It shouldn't though, as me getting a loan from the bank is nothing to do with them really, I would consider you getting your student loan more as an 'income' though. you don't have to pay it back till you get a job further down the line over a certain amount of k though do you?
  • real1314
    • 17th Dec 06, 8:39 PM
    • 17th Dec 06, 8:39 PM
    a bank loan is treated as capital not income. as someone else said they just want to chcek that you've not gone over 6000 (was 3000 before April 06)

a student loan is to cover cost of living expenses, which is the same as means tested benefits so it is treated as income.
  • scarborosmoggy
    • 18th Dec 06, 7:42 AM
    • 18th Dec 06, 7:42 AM
    a bank loan is treated as capital not income. as someone else said they just want to chcek that you've not gone over 6000 (was 3000 before April 06)

a student loan is to cover cost of living expenses, which is the same as means tested benefits so it is treated as income.
    by real1314

Thanks for that.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,891Posts Today

6,400Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • If anyone wonders why I am only retweeting those supporting my anti "110% effort" stance, its because those disagreeing are WRONG! :)

• RT @MonkeyScrubber: @MartinSLewis @GMB this video has just made my wife (a maths teacher) so happy.

• RT @rathgorn: @MartinSLewis @GMB in fact I'd go so far as to say that over exaggeration has got a thousand % worse recently ????

• Follow Martin