Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Work & Benefits > Small Biz & Charities' MoneySaving > Considering Self Employed As Handyman / Basic Gar... (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

  • Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

    Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

  • No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Considering Self Employed As Handyman / Basic Garden Maintenance
Closed Thread
Views: 3,125
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
# 1
mystic_bertie
Old 15-06-2011, 12:37 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 430
Default Considering Self Employed As Handyman / Basic Garden Maintenance

im considering going self employed, i want to work hours that suit me and still get a decent rate.

i have done garden tidying before ie grass cutting, strimming, general tidying, weeding. i done this to earn a bit extra cash many years ago.

my diy skills are good although im no expert but i can carry out most general stuff without any problem. i have a petrol lawnmower so i could get a petrol strimmer to and some good sturdy tools, i have a big 4x4 i run on waste veg oil so that will be good for carrying stuff around and cheap on fuel too lol.

im only looking for around 20 hours a week, im a male single parent with 2 girls, so i just want to work within school hours, this is why i want to go self employed.

how easy is it to do this, im not looking make a fortune, just earn a decent rate for the 20 hours or so that i do each week, this will qualify me for my working tax credits etc.

i think if i build up customers during the summer for mainly gardening then hopefully by winter word of mouth and concentrating on handyman stuff indoors will work out, by then i can consider getting trained on more indoor things like tiling etc.

so gimme some basic advice please
mystic_bertie is offline
Report Post
# 2
passatrider
Old 15-06-2011, 9:41 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 745
Default

I'm in the process of setting up a similar service in my area but without the handyman side.

I'd concentrate on the garden maintenance aspect to start. You can then promote your other services to your customers at the same time.
The mistake some people make I've been told is trying to do too much at once - keep it simple!

As for getting started then I'd suggest putting up some cards in local shop windows. You can also get some flyers made up and distribute them around your local area.

You must also register with HMRC for self employment. This can be done either by post or online.

Finally, as you will be using your own vehicle for business use then you are will have to inform your insurance company as a change of use for business.
Don't forget Public liability insurance too as it's a must these days in our claim culture!

Good Luck!
passatrider is offline
Report Post
# 3
Caroline73
Old 15-06-2011, 10:31 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,572
Default

Good luck.

I have a handy man I use for lots of stuff. He also knows lots of reliable tradesmen too, so its probably worth you networking with plumbers, electricians etc so you can pass work each others way.
Don't look at me, I'm irrelevant.
Caroline73 is offline
Report Post
# 4
lamb1102
Old 15-06-2011, 2:29 PM
MoneySaving Convert
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 51
Default

I did exactly what youre planning to do, Gumtree was a good advertising medium for me(and free), the shop windows also worked to a degree.
Try knocking on the door of a house whos garden is looking untidy and offer to tidy it up. Remember to look professional and be polite, sell yourself so to speak. If youre a decent, hard working and personable chap then you will achieve your desired result.
Best of luck.
lamb1102 is offline
Report Post
# 5
mystic_bertie
Old 15-06-2011, 4:15 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 430
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caroline73 View Post
Good luck.

I have a handy man I use for lots of stuff. He also knows lots of reliable tradesmen too, so its probably worth you networking with plumbers, electricians etc so you can pass work each others way.
im afraid this is different from my usual trade so i dont know any other tradesman im afraid but good suggestion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadstool Toys View Post
Getting a good network of trades is a very good idea, maybe phone some up and explain what you can help them with etc.
how would that work would they pay me a wage or pass on certain types of work my way?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamb1102 View Post
I did exactly what youre planning to do, Gumtree was a good advertising medium for me(and free), the shop windows also worked to a degree.
Try knocking on the door of a house whos garden is looking untidy and offer to tidy it up. Remember to look professional and be polite, sell yourself so to speak. If youre a decent, hard working and personable chap then you will achieve your desired result.
Best of luck.
yeah gumtree good idea and free advertising is a bonus. Do you find knocking on the doors of untidy garden very successful? I would say i am polite and professional and decent etc, used to do a milk run and always treated all the customers well and politely even the non tippers lol.

cheers all
mystic_bertie is offline
Report Post
# 6
mystic_bertie
Old 15-06-2011, 4:17 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 430
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by passatrider View Post
I'm in the process of setting up a similar service in my area but without the handyman side.

I'd concentrate on the garden maintenance aspect to start. You can then promote your other services to your customers at the same time.
The mistake some people make I've been told is trying to do too much at once - keep it simple!

As for getting started then I'd suggest putting up some cards in local shop windows. You can also get some flyers made up and distribute them around your local area.

You must also register with HMRC for self employment. This can be done either by post or online.

Finally, as you will be using your own vehicle for business use then you are will have to inform your insurance company as a change of use for business.
Don't forget Public liability insurance too as it's a must these days in our claim culture!

Good Luck!
yeah well at least the handyman stuff will come in handy come the winter or poor weather spells i hope.

it that all there is toit, register with HMRC, insurance for the car and liability insurance and away i go, i thought you needed to register you business name and things like that.
mystic_bertie is offline
Report Post
# 7
passatrider
Old 15-06-2011, 5:33 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 745
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystic_bertie View Post
yeah well at least the handyman stuff will come in handy come the winter or poor weather spells i hope.

it that all there is toit, register with HMRC, insurance for the car and liability insurance and away i go, i thought you needed to register you business name and things like that.
You will be registering your business name with the HMRC so that'll be all you need to start.
If you are talking about registering as a LTD company then I wouldn't bother.

Perhaps take a look at the business link website for some good info about starting up.
passatrider is offline
Report Post
# 8
mystic_bertie
Old 16-06-2011, 2:16 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 430
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by passatrider View Post
You will be registering your business name with the HMRC so that'll be all you need to start.
If you are talking about registering as a LTD company then I wouldn't bother.

Perhaps take a look at the business link website for some good info about starting up.
thanks ill take a look at the business gateway that one for us scots lol

cheers for the advice
mystic_bertie is offline
Report Post
Closed Thread

Bookmarks
 
 




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

 Forum Jump  

Contact Us - MoneySavingExpert.com - Archive - Privacy Statement - Top

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

All times are GMT +1. The time now is 9:45 AM.

 Forum Jump  

Free MoneySaving Email

Top deals: Week of 23 April 2014

Get all this & more in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email full of guides, vouchers and Deals

GET THIS FREE WEEKLY EMAIL Full of deals, guides & it's spam free

Latest News & Blogs

Martin's Twitter Feed

profile

Cheap Travel Money

Find the best online rate for holiday cash with MSE's TravelMoneyMax.

Find the best online rate for your holiday cash with MoneySavingExpert's TravelMoneyMax.

TuneChecker Top Albums

  • VARIOUS ARTISTSNOW THAT'S WHAT I CALL MUSIC! 87
  • VARIOUS ARTISTSFROZEN (ORIGINAL MOTION PICTURE SOUNDTRACK)
  • BRUCE SPRINGSTEENAMERICAN BEAUTY

MSE's Twitter Feed

profile
Always remember anyone can post on the MSE forums, so it can be very different from our opinion.
We use Skimlinks and other affiliated links in some of our boards, for some of our users.