IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Crosse & Blackwell baked beans
Closed Thread
Views: 2,305
# 1
WOW Factor 0
WhiteHorse
Old 13-06-2011, 10:14 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Default Crosse & Blackwell baked beans

Tried these the other day.

Small, hard beans (and not very many, either), swimming in a watery, sour sauce.

Yuk!
"Never underestimate the mindless force of a government bureaucracy
seeking to expand its power, dominion and budget"

Jay Stanley, American Civil Liberties Union.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WhiteHorse For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
ljonski
Old 14-06-2011, 8:27 AM

only 44% beans and watery 3/4 full tin.
Back to Branston 4 me
The Following User Says Thank You to ljonski For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
Barneysmom
Old 14-06-2011, 8:29 AM

They were nice years ago but it has to Branston for me now too, Heinz at a push.
# 4
chesky369
Old 14-06-2011, 8:39 AM

Absolutely Branston - why didn't I know about them years ago?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chesky369 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
nenni
Old 14-06-2011, 9:32 AM
MoneySaving Convert

We have always preferred Branston especially as they are often on offer 4 for 1 in lidl, but last week i had some from Tesco and must of been a duff batch. Opened them to find literally 20 beans could just about fit them all on a teaspoon the rest was just juice
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nenni For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
quintwins
Old 14-06-2011, 9:51 AM

i havent had crosse and blackwell beans for awhile but last time i had them they were fine abit watery granted but not too bad, since then i've bene well stocked with branstons but i'm running out and we only have a tesco so there rarely on offer, i'm wondering if i should buy the ones on amazon now that are around 33p a tin, if the c&b ones are so bad now

EDIT after i posted that i checked tesco and they have 3 for 1 however amazon ones are still cheaper by 1p if your have room for 24 tins of beans
Saving for a house 9407 (+6550 owed from friend and 3500 owed from inlaws) Total 19,257

Save 1300 in October 0/1300

Last edited by quintwins; 14-06-2011 at 9:53 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to quintwins For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
web ferret
Old 27-11-2011, 8:28 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Bought some of the 4 for 1 from Iceland. Wish I hadn't. As said above 1/4 juice and the beans weren't great. I didn't expect this from Crosse and Blackwell. A Value or betterbuy product maybe but these were not labelled as a value range.
I'm scared to open the Crosse and Blackwell spaghetti 4 for 1 that I bought at the same time!
I searched for a website for crosse and blackwell but couldn't find one. On the tin says premierfoods but no mention of C&B on that website. I've filled in their contact us but don't expect any reply. If I do get a response I'll post on here

The Following User Says Thank You to web ferret For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
DCFC79
Old 27-11-2011, 9:14 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by web ferret View Post
Bought some of the 4 for 1 from Iceland. Wish I hadn't. As said above 1/4 juice and the beans weren't great. I didn't expect this from Crosse and Blackwell. A Value or betterbuy product maybe but these were not labelled as a value range.
I'm scared to open the Crosse and Blackwell spaghetti 4 for 1 that I bought at the same time!
I searched for a website for crosse and blackwell but couldn't find one. On the tin says premierfoods but no mention of C&B on that website. I've filled in their contact us but don't expect any reply. If I do get a response I'll post on here
I take it 1 didnt go deeper in terms of research, this should answer your question as to who owns C&B, the tin was old stock with the old details on. It seems the C&B products were split up at some point as this company sell the hot snack foods of the C&B name.
The Following User Says Thank You to DCFC79 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
BallandChain
Old 27-11-2011, 10:18 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I buy Crosse & Blackwell and Branston beans. If you mix 50% of the C&B with 50% Branston beans it does taste good and it works out cheaper stretching the Branston beans out this way. You can always add tomato puree for a thicker tomato sauce.
The Following User Says Thank You to BallandChain For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
viv0147
Old 28-11-2011, 8:56 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Send a message via AIM to viv0147
Default Spagetti

Quote:
I bought the beans and spaghetti while they were on offer and was very disappointed with both in fact I would say they were horrible.
Things are never as bad as they look they are normally 10 times worse.

SPC No 1009 Total saved since October 2010 to April 2014 3,300
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to viv0147 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
web ferret
Old 28-11-2011, 7:51 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCFC79 View Post
I take it 1 didnt go deeper in terms of research, this should answer your question as to who owns C&B, the tin was old stock with the old details on. It seems the C&B products were split up at some point as this company sell the hot snack foods of the C&B name.
Thanks for the info. Premierfoods haven't responded to my email.

I've been on the Iceland website and in contact us under the dropdown box there is no option for a complaint! What a great way to reduce the number of complaints!

https://www.iceland.co.uk/contact-us/

Anyway submitted my comments about Icelands beans via the Product option and submitted a link back to here
Quote:
Thank you for your enquiry

Thank you for getting in touch.
We aim to respond to your query within 48 hours.
I'll post Icelands response if I get one.

Last edited by web ferret; 28-11-2011 at 8:04 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to web ferret For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
Makeandsave
Old 28-11-2011, 8:56 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Branston beans for me even thou the tins have got smaller i have to say i have not paid more then 1 for 4 tins, I always but them in bulk when on offer (buy one 4 pack get 2 free in tescos and 4 tin pack for 1 in Lidl) have about 30 tins right now lol.
Wins 2014: 50.50 amazon, 6 Boast drinks, Panebello pizza, 20 Tesco GC, 2x Burt crisp, sports bottle, Viewbank Teddy, Avon Lipstick, 10 Canvas Voucher, Family guy Stuff, Meal 4 2, 105 site credit 3 wins, Robo-cop goodies, Camcorder, 200 clothes credit, Galaxy chocolate, Prohanger XL, Daisy Dream 100ml EDT, Dahlia Divin 50ML, popcorn.
The Following User Says Thank You to Makeandsave For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
Millie2008
Old 29-11-2011, 8:21 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Branston all the way for us! Heinz don't seem to taste the same any more!
# 14
DCFC79
Old 29-11-2011, 8:44 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the info. Premierfoods haven't responded to my email.

I've been on the Iceland website and in contact us under the dropdown box there is no option for a complaint! What a great way to reduce the number of complaints!

https://www.iceland.co.uk/contact-us/

Anyway submitted my comments about Icelands beans via the Product option and submitted a link back to here

I'll post Icelands response if I get one.
id contact princes,
# 15
web ferret
Old 30-11-2011, 8:23 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

After 48 hours no response from Iceland.
But
Letter from Princes today with goodwill 2 x 5 voucher for Princes

Quote:
We are keen to ensure that every product within the range, whether it is a standard or value pack delivers the great taste that you expect from Crosse and Blackwell
Crosse and Blackwell Special Recipe Beans 4 pack for 1 is a different recipe from the Crosse and Blackwell Beans 3 pack for 1, The Special Recipe is stated on the label

# 16
DCFC79
Old 30-11-2011, 8:28 PM

Quote:
After 48 hours no response from Iceland.
But
Letter from Princes today with goodwill 2 x 5 voucher for Princes
Nice, princes were quite good when an ex colleague found an item that wasnt fish in a can of tuna so he informed princes and got some vouchers(think same as the amount you got) and bought some juice and more tuna
# 17
kerri gt
Old 30-11-2011, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quintwins View Post
i havent had crosse and blackwell beans for awhile but last time i had them they were fine abit watery granted but not too bad, since then i've bene well stocked with branstons but i'm running out and we only have a tesco so there rarely on offer, i'm wondering if i should buy the ones on amazon now that are around 33p a tin, if the c&b ones are so bad now

EDIT after i posted that i checked tesco and they have 3 for 1 however amazon ones are still cheaper by 1p if your have room for 24 tins of beans
Branston all the way for me too.

Quintwins - Branston packs of 4 are quite often on offer in Tesco on B1G2F (packs of 4, so 12 tins of beans in total) They were on this offer end aug / beg of Sept and a few weeks back as well.
Sept 2014 NSD Challenge 7/15
AUG NSD 17/14
JUL NSD 16/12 MAY NSD 7/11 APR NSD 14/16
MAR NSD 17/17 FEB NSD 18/15 JAN NSD 16/12
Closed Thread