Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • hampshirebabe
    • By hampshirebabe 13th Jun 11, 9:43 AM
    • 578Posts
    • 152Thanks
    hampshirebabe
    descaling coffee machine
    • 13th Jun 11, 9:43 AM
    descaling coffee machine 13th Jun 11 at 9:43 AM
    I need to descale my tassimo, but the special cleaning tablets cost a fair bit, plus I want a coffee now and haven't got one. Could I use the descaling powder I've got left over from my baby bottle steriliser? It says citric acid, mix with 200mls water, but the coffee machine uses 500mls, so 2 packets? Its just to tide me over till I can get some all purpose descaler cheaper somewhere else.
Page 1
    • daveyjp
    • By daveyjp 13th Jun 11, 1:29 PM
    • 6,529 Posts
    • 4,878 Thanks
    daveyjp
    • 13th Jun 11, 1:29 PM
    • 13th Jun 11, 1:29 PM
    Neat vinegar will do the job - run it through the system a few times then run hot water through to clean it out.
    • sunshinetours
    • By sunshinetours 13th Jun 11, 5:20 PM
    • 2,770 Posts
    • 1,815 Thanks
    sunshinetours
    • 13th Jun 11, 5:20 PM
    • 13th Jun 11, 5:20 PM
    White vinegar (or malt is fine if you don;t have white). Can dilute it slightly if you prefer and run the cleaning program. Then flush with clean water a few times
    Never used the proper cleaning tabs in 2.5 years and no probs so far
    Malt vinegar does smell a bit whilst you are doing it though so open the windows!!
    • I luv cats
    • By I luv cats 20th Jun 11, 12:38 AM
    • 13,701 Posts
    • 58,590 Thanks
    I luv cats
    • 20th Jun 11, 12:38 AM
    • 20th Jun 11, 12:38 AM
    I went to 'Robert Dyas' and they have loads of descalers for equipment including 'Coffee Makers' BUT

Would any of the coffee maker descalers be suitable for a Krups Dolce Gusto pod coffee maker??? (they show pictures of percolators)
    • sunshinetours
    • By sunshinetours 20th Jun 11, 12:39 PM
    • 2,770 Posts
    • 1,815 Thanks
    sunshinetours
    • 20th Jun 11, 12:39 PM
    • 20th Jun 11, 12:39 PM
    providing they are in a form that can be put through the machine on whatever cleaning program it has I can't see an issue.
    On the Tassimo for instance it needs to be something that gets added or put instead of the water in the water tank.

Vinegar will always be cheapest!
  • Rbrookbanks
    • 2nd Dec 12, 12:58 PM
    • 2nd Dec 12, 12:58 PM
    Do NOT use vinegar in a Tassimo, the manufacturer specifically says to avoid it as its too acidic and will cause internal corrosion. Good old citric acid powder is a far better alternative to the tablets in an emergency.
    • cajef
    • By cajef 2nd Dec 12, 4:23 PM
    • 4,071 Posts
    • 3,331 Thanks
    cajef
    • 2nd Dec 12, 4:23 PM
    • 2nd Dec 12, 4:23 PM
    Do NOT use vinegar in a Tassimo, the manufacturer specifically says to avoid it as its too acidic and will cause internal corrosion. Good old citric acid powder is a far better alternative to the tablets in an emergency.
    Originally posted by Rbrookbanks
    May be good advice but this thread is eighteen months old.
    I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.
    • muckybutt
    • By muckybutt 2nd Dec 12, 4:26 PM
    • 3,622 Posts
    • 3,419 Thanks
    muckybutt
    • 2nd Dec 12, 4:26 PM
    • 2nd Dec 12, 4:26 PM
    May be good advice but this thread is eighteen months old.
    Originally posted by cajef
    Trust a newbie to dredge old threads up !
    You may click thanks if you found my advice useful
    • sillygoose
    • By sillygoose 2nd Dec 12, 5:03 PM
    • 3,565 Posts
    • 3,065 Thanks
    sillygoose
    • 2nd Dec 12, 5:03 PM
    • 2nd Dec 12, 5:03 PM
    Trust a newbie to dredge old threads up !
    Originally posted by muckybutt
    Don't knock it, they must have mastered 'search' at least so that means they won't be posting the same old standard questions over again

PS I would not use vinegar, its not pure enough. I buy 500g of citric acid off ebay about once a year which is enough to keep kettles, my Tassimo etc. all clean and its non toxic, same stuff as they use in the sachets for Tassimo, baby steamers and so on.
    Last edited by sillygoose; 02-12-2012 at 5:06 PM.
  • lil.smartie
    The Dolce Gusto 'proper' descaler is liquid that is mixed in the water tank & run through a few times. Can buy liquid descaler in Boots

Kate
    • sunshinetours
    • By sunshinetours 4th Dec 12, 10:01 AM
    • 2,770 Posts
    • 1,815 Thanks
    sunshinetours
    Have used vinegar for 3 years or so with no noticeable issues in our Tassimo. It doesn't stay in the machine and gets washed through with plenty of water - stinks though when you do it!
  • purpleheather2810
    I was wondering about using white vinegar in my Tassimo. I think I'll water it down and see how it goes...
    Skint but happy with my lovely family

Hypnotherapy rocks
    • WestonDave
    • By WestonDave 11th Jun 14, 3:15 PM
    • 4,955 Posts
    • 8,375 Thanks
    WestonDave
    Spam reported!
    Adventure before Dementia!
    • SD-253
    • By SD-253 21st Jul 14, 7:44 PM
    • 312 Posts
    • 782 Thanks
    SD-253
    Spam reported!
    Originally posted by WestonDave
    There is always one gobs***e on every thread.
    • Gordon Hose
    • By Gordon Hose 22nd Jul 14, 8:55 AM
    • 6,064 Posts
    • 4,112 Thanks
    Gordon Hose
    I use Oust liquid de-scaler, have done for ages. Works fine.
    • Le_Kirk
    • By Le_Kirk 2nd Dec 15, 4:36 PM
    • 1,413 Posts
    • 689 Thanks
    Le_Kirk
    Do they do Eccellente SPAM as well?
    • The Seer Hunter
    • By The Seer Hunter 16th Oct 16, 11:34 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    The Seer Hunter
    Yup, another newbie bringing up an old thread...
    I have a dolce gusto machine that has just 'highlighted' to me via the on/off/ready button, that a descale is now necessary. Is this a built in (programmed) function to make you purchase their (Nescaf!) cleaning products?
    The reason I ask this, is because I live in the Highlands and have no limescale issues with any other appliance. In fact I am using a 3 year old kettle and the element looks as good as the day it was plugged in.
    • Nilrem
    • By Nilrem 16th Oct 16, 3:52 PM
    • 2,250 Posts
    • 1,462 Thanks
    Nilrem
    It's because they work it on the average water hardness, so the descale light comes on at a set number of uses based on that.

I descale our machine whenever I change the filter as we live in a hard water area (our kettle needs a thorough cleaning every 3-6 months).

If you're in a soft water area you can probably ignore it.
    • Anne_Marie
    • By Anne_Marie 17th Oct 16, 6:24 PM
    • 1,924 Posts
    • 2,721 Thanks
    Anne_Marie
    Agree with what Nilrem says.

I have a Delonghi machine and although so far (just under 3 months), not had the descaling warning light, am sure it will happen at some point soon. Instructions that after a period of time, or so many coffees, it will be time to descale and a warning light will flash.

I'm now in a very hard water area, so only use bottled water for water cooler, kettle and coffee machine. Even so, it's still not as soft as the water in Scotland, as I still need to descale the kettle every so often, as I can see it whiten up, so reminds me to do the water cooler too!

If you still have warning light, despite you having lovely soft water, I'd suggest trying to run through the descaling programme as per your machine instructions, using only water, and see if that sorts out the problem. If it doesn't, your choice whether to go by the manufacturers recommended descaler or choose something else.

I use citric acid, either in granular or powder form (food grade) to descale kitchen appliances. It's available in all the supermarkets here, but not sure about in the UK, but you can definitely buy it on Amazon. I will be using that in my coffee machine when descaling is required, rather than the expensive manufacture alternative.

Most common ingredients for descaling coffee machines is either citric or lactic acids.

Have heard of people using vinegar, but apparently that's a bit harsher than citric acid, and may destroy the innards of a coffee machine, especially if it has aluminium parts.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

456Posts Today

3,387Users online

Martin's Twitter