Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 1
    • bod1467
    • By bod1467 12th Jun 11, 9:06 PM
    • 14,775 Posts
    • 13,396 Thanks
    bod1467
    • 12th Jun 11, 9:06 PM
    • 12th Jun 11, 9:06 PM
    I use Avast free. If you're using Windows 7 then you don't really need a separate firewall - the one in Windows works fine. Can't advise re. SPAM filter as I've never used one (other than what's automatically available via my web hosting email account and my Gmail account).
    • macman
    • By macman 13th Jun 11, 8:55 AM
    • 40,038 Posts
    • 16,202 Thanks
    macman
    • 13th Jun 11, 8:55 AM
    • 13th Jun 11, 8:55 AM
    The 'best value' one are the free ones obviously: Avast, Avira, or MSE.
    Kaspersky is also free if you have Barclays online banking.
    Your spam filter should already be provided by your ISP or email software.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
    • I luv cats
    • By I luv cats 13th Jun 11, 9:10 AM
    • 13,669 Posts
    • 58,528 Thanks
    I luv cats
    • 13th Jun 11, 9:10 AM
    • 13th Jun 11, 9:10 AM
    BitDefender I/S 89%

Norton I/S 87%

AVG I/S 76%

Kaspersky I/S 75%

G Data I/S 73%

MS Security Essentials (FREE) 72%

AVG A/V (FREE) 70%

Mcafee I/S 70%

Panda I/S 70%

Trend Micro Titanium I/S 69%

F-Secure I/S 67%

Avira A/V personal (FREE) 61%

From Which tests
  • birkee
    • 13th Jun 11, 9:20 AM
    • 13th Jun 11, 9:20 AM
    Personally, I've used Kasperski Internet Security for years, and it's never let me down.
    What makes it a good choice, is that you can often get it for half price after it's been out awhile (of course, it's updated when installed.) but you can get it in a 3 PC package. That means you and two family members can go one third each on the half price bargain. (Around £20 - £25)

Watch out for Norton, because it's 3 PC's, but in ONE household, not to be shared with relatives elsewhere.
    • I luv cats
    • By I luv cats 13th Jun 11, 10:01 AM
    • 13,669 Posts
    • 58,528 Thanks
    I luv cats
    • 13th Jun 11, 10:01 AM
    • 13th Jun 11, 10:01 AM
    Personally, I've used Kasperski Internet Security for years, and it's never let me down.
    What makes it a good choice, is that you can often get it for half price after it's been out awhile (of course, it's updated when installed.) but you can get it in a 3 PC package. That means you and two family members can go one third each on the half price bargain. (Around £20 - £25)

Watch out for Norton, because it's 3 PC's, but in ONE household, not to be shared with relatives elsewhere.
    Originally posted by birkee
    I've used Kaspersky a couple of times discounted via co-op with no troubles. It can be a bit too detailed and reports confusing.

I use AVG now as I got a 3yr license included free with a new laptop. No trouble with it.

I could get McAfee free with O2 if I want.
  • andythecal
    • 13th Jun 11, 12:45 PM
    • 13th Jun 11, 12:45 PM
    I have three PCs on the Internet constantly and I've found no problem with using Microsoft Security Essentials.

For spam protection I use Gmail which is setup to use my own domain (yes, it's possible and it's easy and free) and so I never see spam - Google stops it in its tracks.
  • juice0105
    • 13th Jun 11, 5:00 PM
    • 13th Jun 11, 5:00 PM
    I found bullguard internet security for under £10 online. Has anyone used it before. I don't know if it is any good.
  • stilltheone
    • 13th Jun 11, 7:03 PM
    • 13th Jun 11, 7:03 PM
    I found bullguard internet security for under £10 online. Has anyone used it before. I don't know if it is any good.
    Originally posted by juice0105
    You can purchase KIS 2010 here for £10.68 and use the activation code for the new KIS 2012.
  • birkee
    I've used Kaspersky a couple of times discounted via co-op with no troubles. It can be a bit too detailed and reports confusing.

I use AVG now as I got a 3yr license included free with a new laptop. No trouble with it.

I could get McAfee free with O2 if I want.
    Originally posted by I luv cats
    That's one of the benefits of letting Kasperski do it's own thing.
    I've two relatives I've installed it for, and they know zilch about computers. They just don't read the reports.

I love the virtual keyboard in it too. No 'keylogger' risks.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

173Posts Today

1,424Users online

Martin's Twitter