IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Meteor / Southeastern Parking
Closed Thread
Views: 6,088
# 1
jlsmith
Old 11-06-2011, 1:13 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Meteor / Southeastern Parking

Hi,

Apologies if this has been dealt with on other messages but I have just joined and wish to put a summary of my case and ask for advice.

I have three parking 'tickets' (I know, I know) to deal with. All have been issued by Meteor Parking Services who operate for Southeastern Railway carparks.

Ticket 1 - Issued as notice of 'breach of terms and conditions'. I over-ran on this one, did not appeal by the deadline, finally appealed (along with the other 2) and offered 20 as a remedy against lost income. This was refused, escalated and I am now being asked for 165 or a threat of a summons to magistrates court.

Ticket 2 - I never received this one, so when I got my first letter demanding 90 I wrote back advising that I had not received anything. I got a response from Meteor saying my appeal was too late (not within 7 days - but of course it's difficult to appeal if you don't know the ticket was issued!) and declining to cancel. Again I am now being asked for 165 or magistrates court.

Ticket 3 - issued as a 'breach of terms and conditions' for failing to display a ticket. I paid and displayed this ticket, so can only assume this was an error. I should have appealed in the meantime but left it too late, though did write to Meteor enclosing my proof of purchase for the weekly ticket. Declined, now I am being asked for 165 or magistrates court.

I did also ask Meteor to clarify how they thought this was operating under S14 of Railway Byelaws as iro of Ticket 1 & 3 I only had a notice of 'breach of terms and conditions'. I asked when they thought they had issued something complying with S14. They chose not to answer this question.

My letter threatening me with magistrates court suggests that they have not had any communication from me, so I can only assume the fact of my appeal letter has not filtered through to the heavies who write the letters.

I'm happy to provide any further information if required. What are people's thoughts on this? I had understood that cases of magistrates courts are rare but if so I appear to be one of the rare cases!

Thanks,
# 2
Livingthedream
Old 11-06-2011, 1:47 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

I posted this on another thread a day or 2 ago;

Quote "Genuine byelaw tickets are quite rare, as it's easy and more profitable for the Train company to get a private parking company to issue a ticket then chase you up for payment.

If it's not a genuine byelaw ticket and it's a PPC ticket then follow the advice of the regulars on this part of the forum, ie ignore.

Is it possible for you to upload a scan of your ticket and letters, but blank out any personnel details.

My advice send this member 'Stigy' a PM he's very good with railway bylaws and should be able to help, if he hasn't answer this thread by then."

Follow the instructions in this thread on how to upload pictures, if your unsure on how to do that.
Whoa! This image violates our terms of use and has been removed from view
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Livingthedream For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
SodG24
Old 11-06-2011, 2:12 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Would it be Brighton Station car park by chance ? If so ignore.
The Following User Says Thank You to SodG24 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
jlsmith
Old 11-06-2011, 2:41 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Hildenborough

I will upload some photos shortly of correspondance
The Following User Says Thank You to jlsmith For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
peter_the_piper
Old 11-06-2011, 3:53 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Had it been a real ticket you would have had the ticket with the advice, pay up or its maggi court for you. The fact that you have had the threatograms tells me its one to ignore. The price does not go up with w real one until the magistrate convicts you.
Sorry, normal service will be resumed shortly.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to peter_the_piper For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
Stigy
Old 11-06-2011, 5:48 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Sounds like Meteor are trying their luck and using the Mags Court as a threat. For a breach of T&C it would go to County Court anyway.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stigy For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
jlsmith
Old 11-06-2011, 6:05 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Links to notices

As a new user I am not allowed to post links. Not very helpful!

s1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee424/jlsmith10/Meteor/

Let's see if the above works
# 8
esmerobbo
Old 11-06-2011, 6:09 PM

Tis here

http://s1227.photobucket.com/albums/...mith10/Meteor/
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to esmerobbo For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
vax2002
Old 11-06-2011, 6:14 PM

These look like and smell like private tickets to me.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vax2002 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
TwistedPsycho
Old 11-06-2011, 6:20 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I disagree.
It smells like the rail companies are putting pressure on contractors for results.

I would suggest that both the current rail parking threads should go to pepipoo, because they are clamping down on rail staff at the moment as well in my area (which I know about as I work across multiple railway locations)
Signaller, author, father, carer.
The Following User Says Thank You to TwistedPsycho For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
Livingthedream
Old 11-06-2011, 6:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedPsycho View Post
I disagree.
It smells like the rail companies are putting pressure on contractors for results.
The only thing I'd like to add, is that the railways have the full weight of the bylaws behind them, they don't need to bother sending multiple threatening letters, they normally send one, you ignore it, the next is a court summons.

Could be that the Train Company (East Coast) has authorised the PPC to print 'Bylaw 14 Offence' on it's tickets/letters to give a more intimidating effect.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Livingthedream For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
TwistedPsycho
Old 11-06-2011, 6:55 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

However, when you are issued with a penalty fare ON the train, they will often send you a couple of reminders (and administration costs) as well, prior to heading to the court system......
Signaller, author, father, carer.
The Following User Says Thank You to TwistedPsycho For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
Livingthedream
Old 11-06-2011, 7:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedPsycho View Post
However, when you are issued with a penalty fare ON the train, they will often send you a couple of reminders (and administration costs) as well, prior to heading to the court system......
Penalty fares are slightly different as these are a civil remedy for an otherwise criminal matter and not in itself a bylaw offence.

The only time it become a bylaw Offence is when you ignore the Penalty fare, then the Train Company cancels the Penalty fare and prosecutes under Bylaw 18.

Problem is Train companies get more money from a Penalty fare than Bylaw 18 so it's in their interest to pursue it through threatening letters.
The Following User Says Thank You to Livingthedream For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
vax2002
Old 11-06-2011, 7:19 PM

If you take a punt to explore this great Myth that even the Pepippo pundits fear of.
Ill pledge 10 if it goes tits up
Anyone else ?
It is about time we tested these.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vax2002 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
Stigy
Old 11-06-2011, 9:20 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livingthedream View Post
Penalty fares are slightly different as these are a civil remedy for an otherwise criminal matter and not in itself a bylaw offence.

The only time it become a bylaw Offence is when you ignore the Penalty fare, then the Train Company cancels the Penalty fare and prosecutes under Bylaw 18.

Problem is Train companies get more money from a Penalty fare than Bylaw 18 so it's in their interest to pursue it through threatening letters.
Couldn't have said it better myself

As you say, it's the original offence that's charged, and not the PFN. That being the case, if the TOC get paid a late payment of say, 60 for a PFN, they're laughing (bear in mind though, that they certainly wouldn't receive all 20 of the PF had it been paid, anyway...More realistically it would be about 3). If it goes to court, yes the defendant will more than likely be penalised far greater than that of the PF anyway, but even with tyhe TOCs costs taken in to account of say 110, this will all be accounted for taking in to account the extra admin work in puting the case together.

With Parking notices, they could try the same thing I guess, just with a different Byelaw. So you'll receive a few letters asking for money, then they'll cancel the notice, proceed to Mags Court and apply for their costs (100 or so) and compensation (cost of the parking ticket that was avoided if applicable).

The reason the Byelaws make the owner liable, is, I'd imagine, because when issuing a parking ticket, the chances are that you'll not have personal dealings with the 'customer' as you would when issuing a PFN, or reporting other Byelaws direct for prosecution.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stigy For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
panders
Old 12-06-2011, 1:11 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Having had a PCN from Meteor at a Southern Railway station back in January I would be inclined to follow the advice of ignoring. In my case the machine malfunctioned and there was not another machine/manned ticket office on site. My appeal was rejected and I decided that any Judge would be able to see that I acted reasonably in the steps I took to try and pay/contact Meteor etc, so I was kindof looking forward to my day in court where CCTV footage would have shown my attempts to pay(altho apparently this is not accessible to Meteor). I received the usual sucession of letters escalating the cost and threats and I have ignored them all. The last was in April and was a threat of Intended Legal Action, still nothing.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to panders For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
jlsmith
Old 13-06-2011, 1:01 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Panders,
Do you mind letting us know how much the threatened 'fine' has escalated too? At the moment I have 3 x 165 being demanded and I just need to be aware of how much thus could escalate to if I continue to resist their advances.
Thanks
# 18
jlsmith
Old 14-06-2011, 8:06 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I have written back denying legitimacy of tickets from a Byelaw perspective and we will see where we go from there.
# 19
peter_the_piper
Old 14-06-2011, 8:15 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

The problem with this approach is that they think they have a hooked fish, despite all you say, and they will just try harder to get the loot. They give up quicker when ignored, hence the advice. However its up to you, if you like receiving lots of threatening letters (more than if ignored)then I am sure you won't be disappointed.
Sorry, normal service will be resumed shortly.
The Following User Says Thank You to peter_the_piper For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 20
jlsmith
Old 16-06-2011, 11:24 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Peter the Piper,

You may be right, but with three of these tickets on the go at once and the threat of magistrates' courts being made, I think it is important to put a line in the sand to deny legitimacy of the tickets and give good reasons why.

Regards,
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jlsmith For This Useful Post: Show me >>
Closed Thread