Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    nuno
    0 WOW
    Cheapest place to buy dried fruits, nuts - trail mix type stuff
    • 6th Jun 11, 11:11 PM
    0 WOW
    Cheapest place to buy dried fruits, nuts - trail mix type stuff 6th Jun 11 at 11:11 PM
    Where is the best place to buy this sort of stuff in bulk?

Dried banana chips
    Dried cranberries
    Yoghurt coated raisens
    Cashews

Etc etc

I want to make my own trail mix and healthy snack packs and want to buy the above in big bags (500g or bigger) I took a quick look in holland and Barrett but was a bit put off buy the prices. Is this the going rate for this sort of thing? It struck me as being the sort of thing that should be cheap.
Page 1
    • geordie joe
    • By geordie joe 6th Jun 11, 11:28 PM
    • 8,399 Posts
    • 8,453 Thanks
    geordie joe
    • 6th Jun 11, 11:28 PM
    • 6th Jun 11, 11:28 PM
    It struck me as being the sort of thing that should be cheap.
    Originally posted by nuno
    Nope, it's marketed as being healthy, therefore they hike the price up.

Back in the 70's they used to put the price of fruit and veg up and claim it was because the cost of the chemicals they put on them was going up.

These days the cost goes up and they claim it's because they are NOT putting chemicals on them. Implying it's more healthy for you if they don't, so you will pay a higher price .
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 6th Jun 11, 11:40 PM
    • 25,512 Posts
    • 16,179 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 6th Jun 11, 11:40 PM
    • 6th Jun 11, 11:40 PM
    Where is the best place to buy this sort of stuff in bulk?

Dried banana chips
    Dried cranberries
    Yoghurt coated raisens
    Cashews

Etc etc

I want to make my own trail mix and healthy snack packs and want to buy the above in big bags (500g or bigger) I took a quick look in holland and Barrett but was a bit put off buy the prices. Is this the going rate for this sort of thing? It struck me as being the sort of thing that should be cheap.
    Originally posted by nuno
    for cranberries check out the dried ones in the supermarkets baking section and look at julian graves

and same with the cashews
    Last edited by DCFC79; 06-06-2011 at 11:47 PM.
    Je Suis Charlie
  • nuno
    • 7th Jun 11, 8:51 PM
    • 7th Jun 11, 8:51 PM
    Thanks I'll check there. I've found a couple of places online that don't look so bad. I've seen Chinese supermarkets recommended. I work not too far from china town in soho so will go and check it out after work tomorrow.
    • cherrykerry
    • By cherrykerry 9th Jun 11, 3:46 PM
    • 167 Posts
    • 119 Thanks
    cherrykerry
    • 9th Jun 11, 3:46 PM
    • 9th Jun 11, 3:46 PM
    Try www.realfoods.co.uk they have a lot of dried fruit/nuts and are cheaper the more you buy. I have had a couple of orders off them so far and been impressed with the service.
  • kittycatface
    • 9th Jun 11, 7:07 PM
    • 9th Jun 11, 7:07 PM
    Dont know where you are based but google your nearest city and "wholefood store". Where i live has one that sells these kinds of things cheap if you are prepared to buy in bulk (http://www.dailybread.co.uk/ if you happen to be in Cambridge or Nottingham). Good luck!
    • 1jim
    • By 1jim 10th Jun 11, 2:01 PM
    • 2,582 Posts
    • 1,177 Thanks
    1jim
    • 10th Jun 11, 2:01 PM
    • 10th Jun 11, 2:01 PM
    (http://www.dailybread.co.uk/ if you happen to be in Cambridge or Nottingham). Good luck!
    Originally posted by kittycatface
    Should read Cambridge or Northampton....was getting all excited that there was one in Nottingham
  • supersally01
    • 10th Jun 11, 6:53 PM
    • 10th Jun 11, 6:53 PM
    The had mixed fruit and nut packs in Home Bargains today, so may be worth a look.
    • surfsister
    • By surfsister 10th Jun 11, 10:12 PM
    • 7,010 Posts
    • 10,473 Thanks
    surfsister
    • 10th Jun 11, 10:12 PM
    • 10th Jun 11, 10:12 PM
    also QD have 200g packs mixed nuts £1

The market often has cheap offers too
  • dried apple
    i'm also a big fan of dried fruit, like dried apple, dried banana. they contains less sugar and the strong flavor.
    • recoverydust
    • By recoverydust 7th Aug 12, 5:31 AM
    • 511 Posts
    • 1,754 Thanks
    recoverydust
    oooh real foods in edinburgh
    planning a trip
    xxx
  • Edwardia
    Julian Graves has gone bust.

Holland & Barrett has its Buy One Get One For 1p deal on at the moment and organic prunes, organic golden linseed, organic brown linseed, organic sunflower seeds and organic bombay mix are included. (Got an email this morning).

Lidl had some nuts and seeds on offer recently so I got some there. The Morrisons own brand are cheap but you don't get many. ASDA's own brand stuff is reasonable.

Look out for YS too, I picked up some YS Crazy Jack's organic walnut pieces recently at Sainsbury's.
  • chookie1
    At a pinch, it's always cheaper to get raisins etc in the baking aisle - the reason is simply that they are zero-rated for VAT if they are sold for baking but standard rated if sold for snacking / confectionery.
    • dlusman
    • By dlusman 8th Aug 12, 9:21 AM
    • 1,639 Posts
    • 3,319 Thanks
    dlusman
    Approved Foods often have supplies of different nuts and/or ready made fruit&nut mixes.

www.approvedfood.co.uk
    • the-mango
    • By the-mango 8th Aug 12, 9:23 AM
    • 777 Posts
    • 1,481 Thanks
    the-mango
    If I'm getting cheap dried fruit I tend to get the basics mixed fruit, 64p for 500g at most big chain supermarkets. It's raisins and citrus peel (which I like)
    • nainoo
    • By nainoo 14th Aug 12, 2:02 AM
    • 4,568 Posts
    • 9,684 Thanks
    nainoo
    Rosspa are pretty good and somtimes do delivery offers ; http://www.rosspa.co.uk/food-cupboard-nuts-dried-fruit-pulses-c-26_52.html?sesid=3p6nvnnaas2o7pstg76iohjak4

Your local Asian stores usually work out pretty cheap too compared with the supermarkets
    • blackandwhitebunny
    • By blackandwhitebunny 14th Aug 12, 9:35 AM
    • 485 Posts
    • 4,120 Thanks
    blackandwhitebunny
    I always have a look in Home Bargains, B&M and even poundland for fruit and nuts as they often have bits and pieces. I got some organic diced apricots in B&M a few weeks ago for 49p.
    Asain shops are also good and often sell much bigger bags of nuts as well as different sultanas. (golden, green)
    I was off to conquer the world but I got distracted by something sparkly

• Edwardia
    Was nosing on www.ecogreenstore.co.uk and they do dried fruit in bulk
  • mkirkby
    If you have a 99p store nearby, their stocks are surprisingly good
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

6,701Posts Today

5,471Users online

Martin's Twitter