Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Motoring > Need the exact date I passed my driving test? (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Need the exact date I passed my driving test?
Views: 5,326
# 1
chris301up
Old 06-06-2011, 4:42 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Need the exact date I passed my driving test?

Right, I have a bit of a problem.

I know I passed my motorcycle test in 1969 and my car test in 1970 and this was clearly marked on the old red book type licence.

When these were withdrawn and replaced with the paper style licence, and subsequently with the photo-card licence, the details indicate from 1976 onwards, but this of course is not the case.

I have been asked many times, especially by insurance company's, for the exact dates. but of course this is too long ago for me to remember.

I have been in touch with the DVLA but without any success.

Does anyone know how else I may be able to find out this information?
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
Outpost
Old 06-06-2011, 4:45 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I'd honestly just give them the closest approximate date. After so long I can't see it making a lot of difference.
# 3
LandyAndy
Old 06-06-2011, 4:45 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

It surely can't make a difference if you just say, say, May 1970 or just make a date up, can it?

I can remember 19 Feb 1975 so i've never had the problem.
# 4
Lum
Old 06-06-2011, 4:52 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

If the DVLA don't even know then it will be impossible to prove that you were wrong.

The declarations are that "this information is true and complete to the best of my knowledge.

If it was more than 10 years ago they most likely don't care anyway, the system just needs to ask that question for when they are dealing with younger drivers.
# 5
Outpost
Old 06-06-2011, 4:55 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Just don't say you passed on the 25th of December or anything silly!
# 6
Lum
Old 06-06-2011, 5:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outpost View Post
Just don't say you passed on the 25th of December or anything silly!
29th Februrary 1969
# 7
greenman7
Old 06-06-2011, 8:51 PM
MoneySaving Convert

If you still have your paper style license it tells you on there. Just looked at mine and it says 20 05 75. The step daughter just said I was a late starter - but driving was not the essential thing then that it now appears to be, so I was in no hurry to learn.
# 8
atrixblue.-MFR-.
Old 06-06-2011, 9:01 PM

if you were a new driver and a miss match of dates occurerd you would refure back to your pass slip with your minor faults on it, since this is a fair time ago then i would say that it only matters to what information the dvla hold on you, and that it ties in with what you put donw for insurance purposes, like discovered here the insurance company's are going through policy's with a fine toothed combe when a accident arises to get out of paying.

if this happens then TO THE BEST OF YOUR KNOWLADGE I.E the date on your license you had put would be a good foot hold overthem, because THE DVLA NEVER MAKE MISTAKES appart from eraseing bike licenses a few years ago dont forget.
i know i make spelling mistakes and i prefer to just type and post and get on with life, i know there are people who prefer all the crossed T's and dotted I's but we cant have everything in life pur..fect. i have a condition i hate to spell it but i bet you can guess it.
# 9
squigglepip
Old 27-12-2012, 5:13 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenman7 View Post
If you still have your paper style license it tells you on there. Just looked at mine and it says 20 05 75. The step daughter just said I was a late starter - but driving was not the essential thing then that it now appears to be, so I was in no hurry to learn.
My wife and I checked our paper licences and they do NOT give the date we passed our tests. My pass was over 44 years ago, and I don't remember or have any record of the date. In the old days it wouldn't have mattered because I bought insurance over the telephone from a real person but now I can't use services like Tesco Compare because they insist on an exact date which i simply don't have.
# 10
shaun from Africa
Old 27-12-2012, 6:04 PM

Tesco Compare only want the month and year you passed your test, so as you know it was 1970 for a car, just put down 12/1970.

There is no way that a few months either way will make the slightest difference to any quote and by using December, you can show that you've not increased the time you have held a full licence (not that it will ever get asked).
# 11
sunnyone
Old 27-12-2012, 9:27 PM

I cant believe that some people cant remember such a life changing date, I paseed my test on the glorious 12th, Ive just aske hubby and his was July 1st 1975
# 12
torbrex
Old 27-12-2012, 9:27 PM

My paper licence (I have no other) has a box stating date of Category B test pass.

I have changed my address on this licence at least 5 times since it was first issued and the valid from date is still listed as 6 days after the test pass date.
It's so nice to be insane,
No-one asks you to explain.
The Following User Says Thank You to torbrex For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
Joe Horner
Old 27-12-2012, 9:42 PM

With a 30 or 40 year old licence, just put in any date that makes sense. There's no way on earth they could claim that "1st April 1969" instead of "15th Dec 1969" was a material error of fact, especially since both were before DVLA existed so exact records may no longer exist!
# 14
hethmar
Old 28-12-2012, 10:28 AM

Ive only ever put the year - 1979. I cant remember the date either.
# 15
mcjordi
Old 28-12-2012, 10:34 AM

Send a message via AIM to mcjordi

the date of pass test is on the rear of my photocard..

18-10-2004 for me..
Sealed pot challenger # 257
currently saving for Chicago Trip 2015/2016 need circa £1500
# 16
custardy
Old 28-12-2012, 10:35 AM

I just make it up
It really doesnt matter surely? especially when you have more than a few years driving experience
does it matter if its 20 or 21 years I have been driving?
As said its on the back of the photocard if you have one but I dont bother
# 17
oldagetraveller
Old 28-12-2012, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyone View Post
I cant believe that some people cant remember such a life changing date, I paseed my test on the glorious 12th, Ive just aske hubby and his was July 1st 1975
Well, you'd better believe it!
I, and it would seem, many others don't know the EXACT date. It wasn't exactly "life changing" for me. I remember it was 1968 and winter. So I just quote a made up date of 1st February 1968. I don't even know if that is a Sunday, if so nobody has checked or queried it.
The back of my licence just states <24/10/74 for all the groups listed.
The Conservative Party is a bit like double cream. Rich, thick and full of clots!

Last edited by oldagetraveller; 28-12-2012 at 12:17 PM.
# 18
lincroft1710
Old 28-12-2012, 8:41 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to lincroft1710

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyone View Post
I definitely passed in 1970, in May, (I think), but which day???
# 19
squigglepip
Old 08-01-2013, 5:47 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Tesco Compare problem solved

My first email to Tesco Compare:-
You want to know the exact date I passed my driving test. This was in 1968 - 44 years ago - but I don't know the exact date. It is NOT shown on my driving licence. What should I do?

Tesco's reply:
Thank you for your e-mail received by Tesco Compare on 27/12/12 regarding the date you’re passed your driving test. If you are unaware of the exact date in which you passed your driving test and do not have the new style driving licence where this is shown, then you can obtain the date by contacting the DVLA.

My reply:
Thank you for your reply of 28 December 2012, but unfortunately the information you have given me is incorrect. I have spoken to DVLA who have informed me that for licences issued prior to 1974 they do NOT hold any information about the date when anyone passed their driving test. They have told me that nobody holds this information. Your company's requirement that drivers enter the exact date when they passed their test therefore constitutes age discrimination because many drivers who are more than 56 years of age (ie: born in 1956 or earlier) will have passed their driving tests at the age of 17 in 1973 and therefore they will not be able to obtain the date of their driving test pass from DVLA. If they have retained this information themselves then they will be able to provide it, but if they have not retained it (and there is no legal requirement for anyone to do so) then they will not be able to provide it and accordingly will be placed at a disadvantage compared to younger drivers because they will not be able to access your comparison service. The relevant legislation is Part 3 of the Equality Act 2010 which came into force on 1 October 2012. Most financial services are exempt from this provision but where a risk assessment is conducted for the purposes of providing a financial service, the exception will only apply if the risk assessment, in so far as it involves a consideration of the person’s age, is done by reference to information which is both relevant to the assessment of risk and from a source on which it is reasonable to rely. Your current service fails the necessary test of reasonableness and is therefore unlawful.

Tesco's reply:
Thank you for your patience whilst I have fully investigated your complaint..... I have now fully investigated your complaint and can confirm that our IT team are going to make a change to the website to add additional information for drivers who have held their licence since before 1974. This text will advise our customer that only the year in which you past your test is required, and a generic day and month can be added as only the year is taken into account for insurance risk checks. We would like to thank you for your feedback and bringing this to our attention. The reason we request the date on which a licence was obtained is due to some of our partner insurers requiring this information to allow them to provide the most accurate quotation in an attempt to reduce the cost of your insurance.

SUCCESS!
The Following User Says Thank You to squigglepip For This Useful Post: Show me >>