Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    lpenaluna
    Electric Meter not working - will I be hit with a huge bill?
    • 3rd Jun 11, 11:39 AM
    Electric Meter not working - will I be hit with a huge bill? 3rd Jun 11 at 11:39 AM
    I contacted Southern Electric this morning to give an actual meter reading for my electricity. I have been in my flat for 1 year and it has been estimated all this time and based on the previous tenant.

When I moved intot he flat I gave a meter reading and they came and read the meter in Feb this year - 9 months after I moved into the flat. I am in credit on my bill and wanted to provide an actual meter reading so that I can claim a refund.

So it seems that the meter hasnt been working for the whole time ive been there and started to slow down at the end of the last tenants time there.

They are now replacing the meter and taking readings form the time it is replaced until the end of August. They are using that 3 month average as an indicator of my years useage and will back charge me for the previous 12 months.

I'm a little annoyed - having gone from hundreds in credit they have now advised me that I am likely to be hit with a hefty bill in August for the back payment. Does anyone have any advice on how large this could be? I'm lucky that they are using warmer months to average. They did want to use winter months and use that for the years average until I said that wasnt a fair reflection. And then they realised that the meter wasnt working.

This isnt my fault and I know i'll have to pay the electric bill. As this is my first flat I've never had to pay electric and i'm trying to get a ball park figure on what the cost would be? Im on ecomony 7. SE said that I should use 6-9 units per day which works out at 25ish per month - which is what I am paying as a DD. I have storage heaters - that I avoid using. My cooker is electric. As is my water which is on once per day (overnight). They estimate 50 per month. Does that sound right?

Any help greatly apprecated - im a novice at this!
Page 1
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

406Posts Today

2,274Users online

Martin's Twitter