Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • LizEstelle
    • By LizEstelle 12th Dec 06, 7:35 PM
    • 1,538Posts
    • 1,490Thanks
    LizEstelle
    Meal for two for 50p. Suggestions?
    • 12th Dec 06, 7:35 PM
    Meal for two for 50p. Suggestions? 12th Dec 06 at 7:35 PM
    My OH and I just had the following and it was delicious. I reckon the total price, including gas and bits and pieces, was around 50p-60p.

I'd be grateful if people could make other ultra-low price suggestions which I can add to my 'Miser's Cookbook'.

It does seem to me that you can eat very cheaply from more-or-less fresh ingredients... so healthier, too!

Sardines with Couscous

1. Dice up some onion, pepper, carrot and courgette and cook in a tablespoon of olive oil in a medium frying pan.

2. Add the tomato juice from a cheap (Lidl?) tin of sardines and augment with 200ml of water/stock mixed with some tomato puree.

3. Season with pepper, garlic powder (and salt, if you absolutely must).

4. Simmer for 30 secs, then remove from heat and stir in 200 gm couscous and the chopped up sardines. Cover and allow the couscous to absorb the mixture. The end result should be an orange-coloured, tangy, tomatoey treat... and next to no washing up!

Can anyone beat this one on economy?

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Debs; 24-04-2012 at 3:33 PM.
Page 22
    • honeythewitch
    • By honeythewitch 13th Aug 16, 8:34 PM
    • 770 Posts
    • 2,376 Thanks
    honeythewitch
    Is 100g dry pasta the recommended portion size? I thought it was 50-75g (side/main)?
    Originally posted by ariarnia
    I looked it up to check, and it varied between 85g and 100g.
    I picked 100g because I think you probably need more if its on its own with cheese. (less if its with bolognaise and salad etc)

I think it shows that Kimplus's recipe is suitable even for the largest of appetites, and the low cost leaves a bit of room to add or change ingredients.
    • Lynplatinum
    • By Lynplatinum 13th Aug 16, 11:35 PM
    • 910 Posts
    • 17,495 Thanks
    Lynplatinum
    Pasta and flatbreads
    Hiya

If using pasta for me I do 50g but if it is for my son (6ft tall slim as a reed and permanently hungry!!!) I use 75g. I also think that adding loads of veg to anything makes it cheaper - so in a 'pasta' bake there will always be some extra veg - finely diced carrot or peppers (grow my own in pots on window sills) or spinach that has gone to floppy yo be used for salads, for example.
    Other examples include - grated parsnip/carrot/swede into 'beefburgers'; chiile con carne with added peppers and mushrooms; spag bol with carrot (saves adding toomuch sugar to sweeten the often acidic canned tomatoes too); shepheard's pie with carrot or swede finely diced in. All of these eke out the meat side of ingredients.

Home made flatbreads (recipies on Hugh FW or Jamie O's sites are good) are a cheap way to make food stretch - make chiiladas (mexican - using green lentils) or falafel (Arabic and that area of the world - using chick peas) to fill them with salad or use left over spag bol and or chilli!
    Gotta be less than 50p a portion!
    Nite all
    Aim for Sept 17: 20/30 days to be NSDs NSDs July 23/31 (aim 22)
    NSDs 2015:185/330 (allowing for hols etc)
    LBM: started Jan 2012 - still learning!
    Life gives us only lessons and gifts - learn the lesson and it becomes a gift.' from the Bohdavista
    • milasavesmoney
    • By milasavesmoney 14th Aug 16, 2:02 AM
    • 1,618 Posts
    • 14,483 Thanks
    milasavesmoney
    Enchiladas with green lentils? Bite your toungue!!!
    Although my DIL (vegetarian) might give it a go.
    Overprepare, then go with the flow.
    [Regina Brett]
    • Soworried
    • By Soworried 14th Aug 16, 9:11 AM
    • 2,112 Posts
    • 19,803 Thanks
    Soworried
    Home bargains currently has a Dolmio meal for two in for 39p. It is spaghetti with chicken and mushroom sauce.
    I bought one to try, going to add some cooking bacon to it that needs used up as well which would be 20p worth as it is a third of the tesco 60p packet.
    Less than 30p for a meal
    GC Feb £240/£180.84
    One step must start each journey
    One word must start each prayer
    One hope will raise our spirits
    One touch can show you care
    • Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 14th Aug 16, 4:48 PM
    • 2,365 Posts
    • 33,677 Thanks
    Islandmaid
    Mine is a very simple pasta dish too.

2 cloves of garlic and some stale bread whizzed or chopped up together to make breadcrumbs, lightly fried in oil and mixed in with cooked basics spaghetti, sounds not so good, but the crunch of the breadcrumbs with the garlic oil is lush X
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

NO-VEMBER GC £200/£164.83 that’s includes everything for breakfast, lunch, dinner for myself, DH, DS and sometime’s DD and 4 greedy cats
    • teessiderang
    • By teessiderang 13th Sep 17, 12:10 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    teessiderang
    Cheap meal feeds 4 (50p thread)
    Hi Folks
    What about Pasta Pomadoro (Tomato Sauce)? for those that don't like Chilli
    I can feed 4 people with 5 cheap ingredients

Takes 10 minutes to boil the water and 8 to 9 minutes to cook!

1 Tin of chopped tomatoes
    2 cloves of garlic (or more if you really like it garlicky)
    4 Tbls cheaper olive oil (Not Extra Virgin as it is expensive and degrades when cooked)
    300g of pasta for 4 people (you can buy huge bags of pasta & make loads of meals)
    8 Basil leaves torn (you can grow Basil on a sunny windowsill all year)

1. Use a large saucepan to cook your pasta takes about 10 minutes to come to the boil
    (add a large pinch salt to the water)
    2. Use a large frying pan or saute pan even a Wok to make the sauce
    3. Crush or finely chop the garlic into the cold frying pan or Wok and add 4 tablespoons of
    cold olive oil then turn on the heat to medium.
    4. As soon as you start to see and smell the garlic cooking (be careful garlic burns easily)
    add the chopped tomatoes, remember to half fill the can with water and add this to the
    sauce (cleans the can for recycling at the same time).
    5. Crush the chopped tomatoes in the pan with a potato masher to make a smoother sauce
    but still with some texture. Turn up the heat to get it reducing and bubbling
    6. Add a pinch of salt and some black pepper to taste (it really does need seasoning)
    7. Reduce the sauce until it is nice coating consistency and keep stirring from time to time.
    Turn down the heat once the sauce has thickened.
    8. Tear the basil leaves (no knife needed as this can make the delicate basil leaves turn black)
    9. When the pasta is cooked the sauce should be ready as well
    10. Drain the pasta reserving a little of the pasta water (use this water if the sauce has over
    thickened.)
    11. Put the drained pasta into the sauce add in the torn basil leaves and stir everything
    together making sure to coat all of the pasta.

Serve in bowls and enjoy
    If you want to make it pretty add some fresh basil when you serve

Sometimes I push the boat out and go to ALDI, they have great garlic bread baguettes for very little and they are super tasty to serve with it.

This sauce also freezes well. I have small one portion lock and lock style plastic pots that I can portion this up into and freeze. So you can feed 1 person 4 times and only cook the sauce once :-). You can also add the pasta coated in the sauce and freeze, but this takes up much more space in the freezer and I prefer to cook the pasta fresh.
    Last edited by teessiderang; 13-09-2017 at 12:20 PM. Reason: Freezing option
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,034Posts Today

8,285Users online

Martin's Twitter