Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • celticfc
    • By celticfc 28th Feb 05, 1:34 PM
    • 119Posts
    • 48Thanks
    celticfc
    0 WOW
    scardy cat seeds, coleus canina
    • 28th Feb 05, 1:34 PM
    0 WOW
    scardy cat seeds, coleus canina 28th Feb 05 at 1:34 PM
    Looking for these seeds on behalf of my Mum. She has a problem with cats in the garden and has tried various repellants with minimal results. A neighbour told her to get these seeds and gave her a booklet from the sun newspaper, 20 seeds are priced at 17.99. I have found these,

http://plants.thompson-morgan.com/uk/en/product/2131/1?SA=1303

they are priced at 17.99 for 20 young plants. Wondered if anyone moneysavers know where to get them cheaper.

many thanks.
Page 1
  • rosser
    • 28th Feb 05, 1:55 PM
    • 28th Feb 05, 1:55 PM
    Hi there,

I haven't seen these advertised anywhere but T&M, but what I would say is that I had no luck with these plants. I have a big cat problem in my garden (as in big problem, not as in lions,tigers etc!). I used these plants year before last and would say that
    1) They are expensive (although you can take cuttings to provide the next year's plants)
    2) They do get quite large, but take a long time to reach a decent size, in the meantime leaving lots of bare soil
    3) They are frost-tender, so depending on where you live, they can only be outside from about April-October
    4) Cats don't like the smell (proved by me holding one in front of my cat's nose!) but they certainly don't deter them. I have found little 'cat presents' right next to the plants.

I too have not found a deterant that is affordable and works 100%. I have tried expensive powders etc but the cats will always learn to live with them. I have even covered bare flower beds with plastic netting- and they just cr*p on top of it!
    If anyone does have any fool-proof cat deterrants, please let me know!!

rosser.

P.S. I can recommend curry plant- it is quite cheap to buy, looks nice and fills up a border. cats don't like the smell too much either. don't worry- won't make your garden smell of curry- only smells when brushed against.
    Last edited by rosser; 28-02-2005 at 2:03 PM.
  • treesave
    • 3rd Apr 07, 7:15 AM
    Cats in the garden
    • 3rd Apr 07, 7:15 AM
    Help can anyone recommend an effective cat deterrant?

There is so much to choose from!

Having read about Pepper, Citrus Plants including coleus cannina, a 'curry' plant, Catwatch, ultrasonic scarecrows that emit bursts of water, green gel. Any clear winners?
    • cajef
    • By cajef 3rd Apr 07, 11:25 AM
    • 3,993 Posts
    • 3,253 Thanks
    cajef
    • 3rd Apr 07, 11:25 AM
    • 3rd Apr 07, 11:25 AM
    Where we live we have open plan front gardens, we found we had a problem with cats fouling every night on our front lawn.

I eventually reluctantly (not cheap) purchased a >>Catwatch<<, I have to say it has been very successful, we have never had the problem for over three years now.

However if you use it with battery operation we found it it heavy on battery use, so I bought the mains power supply and now leave it on all the time, of course you then need a suitable power point, I was lucky as I was able to mount the unit on my garage wall and run the cable through to a socket in there.
    I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.
  • floyd
    • 3rd Apr 07, 12:27 PM
    • 3rd Apr 07, 12:27 PM
    I used an ultrasonic system too and it seemed to work really well until it got rained on very heavily then it started squealing so we had to stop using it. Also, there is a deaf white cat that it doesn't effect
  • ynto
    • 12th Jun 08, 11:15 PM
    problem cats
    • 12th Jun 08, 11:15 PM
    Go to a farm store and buy an electric fence kit. Cost me £100 but well worth it
    Last edited by ynto; 12-06-2008 at 11:17 PM.
    • TomsMom
    • By TomsMom 12th Jun 08, 11:36 PM
    • 4,693 Posts
    • 13,043 Thanks
    TomsMom
    • 12th Jun 08, 11:36 PM
    • 12th Jun 08, 11:36 PM
    No luck with the scaredy cat plants here either, next door's cat ended up lying in ours! Don't waste your money on them, put it towards a more effective cat deterrent instead.
  • ebsay2000
    • 13th Jun 08, 10:50 AM
    • 13th Jun 08, 10:50 AM
    Go to a farm store and buy an electric fence kit. Cost me 100 but well worth it
    Originally posted by ynto
    Sorry..........BUT thats just cruel !!!

Poor kitties
  • ynto
    • 13th Jun 08, 5:17 PM
    • 13th Jun 08, 5:17 PM
    only once, they dont come back. Only use 2 x 3 volt batteries
    • Phuddles
    • By Phuddles 28th May 09, 5:30 PM
    • 26 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    Phuddles
    Scaredy Cat Plants
    I've just been out at lunchtime and paid 3.99 each for four reasonably sized plants so I hope they work. I am really tired of other people's cats pooping on my grass and lurking under the bird feeders. If they were my own pets I wouldn't mind cleaning up after them but this gets me seriously ticked off!! I am going to move the plants around in pots for now, to see where the best place is to keep them. There's one particularly cheeky cat which lurks under my lavender in the back garden. I bought my partner a water pistol to 'shoot' the cats :rolleyes: but they are too quick once they hear the back door opening. Any humane suggestions would be much appreciated.
  • nlwsaint
    I have 2 of these http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Big-Cheese-Cat-Repeller/dp/B000NR8Q1U/ref=pd_rhf_p_t_4

They seem to work for us & that's a really good offer at the moment. They are about 20 in wilkinsons.
    • FluffityBunny
    • By FluffityBunny 28th May 09, 9:22 PM
    • 118 Posts
    • 75 Thanks
    FluffityBunny
    I've just planted on of these scardy cat plants on my front garden and no cat poo in sight yet, they usually get stuck into the freshy dug soil quickly but no signs yet
  • alamo
    Hi we got our coleus plants from ebay it was 6 for 3.75, but have recently got fantastic cat repellent by growing success and got it from b&m bargains, had it down for 4 weeks and i havent had a cat since, it smells awful but its a small price to pay for no cats and its child/pet sate and cost 3 for 500g.
    • FluffityBunny
    • By FluffityBunny 30th May 09, 8:30 PM
    • 118 Posts
    • 75 Thanks
    FluffityBunny
    well woke up to find a cat had dug a hole next to ours but i can't see any poo, so maybe the scent put it off
  • r4pt0r
    I've been having cat problems for quite a while now, with neighbours on each side having cats, my garden is neutral ground so they fight and leave little presents everywhere... have tried lots of things, citrus fruit peels, sprays etc... to no avail!

However, recently I started picking up used coffee grounds from my local starbucks as it can be used as a source of nitrogen for plants and plants requiring some acid source like them. Also they're organic matter so will decompose into ground. This seems to work a treat with the repelling cats! I started putting them around my boarder plants and the cats moved into the lawn to do their deposits, but now I've sprinked the grounds onto the grass it's been free from cat faeces for a while! Plus the bonus is that if you love the smell of coffee, your garden will smell for a few days when you water it or it rains.

So why spend money when you can pick up free used coffee grounds from your local Starbucks?

Hope it helps!
  • Harveycat
    I used an ultrasonic system too and it seemed to work really well until it got rained on very heavily then it started squealing so we had to stop using it. Also, there is a deaf white cat that it doesn't effect
    Originally posted by floyd
    PML!

You need a scarecrow that can do sign language.

Woof! Woof!
  • Harveycat
    I've been having cat problems for quite a while now, with neighbours on each side having cats, my garden is neutral ground so they fight and leave little presents everywhere... have tried lots of things, citrus fruit peels, sprays etc... to no avail!

However, recently I started picking up used coffee grounds from my local starbucks as it can be used as a source of nitrogen for plants and plants requiring some acid source like them. Also they're organic matter so will decompose into ground. This seems to work a treat with the repelling cats! I started putting them around my boarder plants and the cats moved into the lawn to do their deposits, but now I've sprinked the grounds onto the grass it's been free from cat faeces for a while! Plus the bonus is that if you love the smell of coffee, your garden will smell for a few days when you water it or it rains.

So why spend money when you can pick up free used coffee grounds from your local Starbucks?

Hope it helps!
    Originally posted by r4pt0r

It doesn't work in Costa. Last time I was there I saw a huge ginger Tom drinking a frappuccino.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

122Posts Today

1,582Users online

Martin's Twitter