Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Shopping & Freebies > I wanna buy-it or do-it > scardy cat seeds, coleus canina (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
scardy cat seeds, coleus canina
Closed Thread
Views: 34,028
# 1
WOW Factor 0
celticfc
Old 28-02-2005, 1:34 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Lightbulb scardy cat seeds, coleus canina

Looking for these seeds on behalf of my Mum. She has a problem with cats in the garden and has tried various repellants with minimal results. A neighbour told her to get these seeds and gave her a booklet from the sun newspaper, 20 seeds are priced at 17.99. I have found these,

http://plants.thompson-morgan.com/uk...2131/1?SA=1303

they are priced at 17.99 for 20 young plants. Wondered if anyone moneysavers know where to get them cheaper.

many thanks.
# 2
rosser
Old 28-02-2005, 1:55 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Hi there,

I haven't seen these advertised anywhere but T&M, but what I would say is that I had no luck with these plants. I have a big cat problem in my garden (as in big problem, not as in lions,tigers etc!). I used these plants year before last and would say that
1) They are expensive (although you can take cuttings to provide the next year's plants)
2) They do get quite large, but take a long time to reach a decent size, in the meantime leaving lots of bare soil
3) They are frost-tender, so depending on where you live, they can only be outside from about April-October
4) Cats don't like the smell (proved by me holding one in front of my cat's nose!) but they certainly don't deter them. I have found little 'cat presents' right next to the plants.

I too have not found a deterant that is affordable and works 100%. I have tried expensive powders etc but the cats will always learn to live with them. I have even covered bare flower beds with plastic netting- and they just cr*p on top of it!
If anyone does have any fool-proof cat deterrants, please let me know!!

rosser.

P.S. I can recommend curry plant- it is quite cheap to buy, looks nice and fills up a border. cats don't like the smell too much either. don't worry- won't make your garden smell of curry- only smells when brushed against.

Last edited by rosser; 28-02-2005 at 2:03 PM.
# 3
treesave
Old 03-04-2007, 7:15 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Cats in the garden

Help can anyone recommend an effective cat deterrant?

There is so much to choose from!

Having read about Pepper, Citrus Plants including coleus cannina, a 'curry' plant, Catwatch, ultrasonic scarecrows that emit bursts of water, green gel. Any clear winners?
# 4
cajef
Old 03-04-2007, 11:25 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Where we live we have open plan front gardens, we found we had a problem with cats fouling every night on our front lawn.

I eventually reluctantly (not cheap) purchased a >>Catwatch<<, I have to say it has been very successful, we have never had the problem for over three years now.

However if you use it with battery operation we found it it heavy on battery use, so I bought the mains power supply and now leave it on all the time, of course you then need a suitable power point, I was lucky as I was able to mount the unit on my garage wall and run the cable through to a socket in there.
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.
# 5
floyd
Old 03-04-2007, 12:27 PM

I used an ultrasonic system too and it seemed to work really well until it got rained on very heavily then it started squealing so we had to stop using it. Also, there is a deaf white cat that it doesn't effect
# 6
ynto
Old 12-06-2008, 11:15 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Wink problem cats

Go to a farm store and buy an electric fence kit. Cost me £100 but well worth it

Last edited by ynto; 12-06-2008 at 11:17 PM.
# 7
TomsMom
Old 12-06-2008, 11:36 PM

No luck with the scaredy cat plants here either, next door's cat ended up lying in ours! Don't waste your money on them, put it towards a more effective cat deterrent instead.
# 8
ebsay2000
Old 13-06-2008, 10:50 AM
PPR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynto View Post
Go to a farm store and buy an electric fence kit. Cost me 100 but well worth it
Sorry..........BUT thats just cruel !!!

Poor kitties
# 9
ynto
Old 13-06-2008, 5:17 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Wink

only once, they dont come back. Only use 2 x 3 volt batteries
The Following User Says Thank You to ynto For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
Phuddles
Old 28-05-2009, 5:30 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Scaredy Cat Plants

I've just been out at lunchtime and paid 3.99 each for four reasonably sized plants so I hope they work. I am really tired of other people's cats pooping on my grass and lurking under the bird feeders. If they were my own pets I wouldn't mind cleaning up after them but this gets me seriously ticked off!! I am going to move the plants around in pots for now, to see where the best place is to keep them. There's one particularly cheeky cat which lurks under my lavender in the back garden. I bought my partner a water pistol to 'shoot' the cats :rolleyes: but they are too quick once they hear the back door opening. Any humane suggestions would be much appreciated.
# 11
nlwsaint
Old 28-05-2009, 9:17 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I have 2 of these http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Big-Chee...f=pd_rhf_p_t_4

They seem to work for us & that's a really good offer at the moment. They are about 20 in wilkinsons.
# 12
FluffityBunny
Old 28-05-2009, 9:22 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I've just planted on of these scardy cat plants on my front garden and no cat poo in sight yet, they usually get stuck into the freshy dug soil quickly but no signs yet
# 13
alamo
Old 29-05-2009, 7:55 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Hi we got our coleus plants from ebay it was 6 for 3.75, but have recently got fantastic cat repellent by growing success and got it from b&m bargains, had it down for 4 weeks and i havent had a cat since, it smells awful but its a small price to pay for no cats and its child/pet sate and cost 3 for 500g.
# 14
FluffityBunny
Old 30-05-2009, 8:30 PM
MoneySaving Convert

well woke up to find a cat had dug a hole next to ours but i can't see any poo, so maybe the scent put it off
# 15
r4pt0r
Old 15-07-2009, 11:14 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

I've been having cat problems for quite a while now, with neighbours on each side having cats, my garden is neutral ground so they fight and leave little presents everywhere... have tried lots of things, citrus fruit peels, sprays etc... to no avail!

However, recently I started picking up used coffee grounds from my local starbucks as it can be used as a source of nitrogen for plants and plants requiring some acid source like them. Also they're organic matter so will decompose into ground. This seems to work a treat with the repelling cats! I started putting them around my boarder plants and the cats moved into the lawn to do their deposits, but now I've sprinked the grounds onto the grass it's been free from cat faeces for a while! Plus the bonus is that if you love the smell of coffee, your garden will smell for a few days when you water it or it rains.

So why spend money when you can pick up free used coffee grounds from your local Starbucks?

Hope it helps!
# 16
Harveycat
Old 15-07-2009, 12:31 PM
PPR
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
I used an ultrasonic system too and it seemed to work really well until it got rained on very heavily then it started squealing so we had to stop using it. Also, there is a deaf white cat that it doesn't effect
PML!

You need a scarecrow that can do sign language.

Woof! Woof!
# 17
Harveycat
Old 15-07-2009, 12:33 PM
PPR
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by r4pt0r View Post
I've been having cat problems for quite a while now, with neighbours on each side having cats, my garden is neutral ground so they fight and leave little presents everywhere... have tried lots of things, citrus fruit peels, sprays etc... to no avail!

However, recently I started picking up used coffee grounds from my local starbucks as it can be used as a source of nitrogen for plants and plants requiring some acid source like them. Also they're organic matter so will decompose into ground. This seems to work a treat with the repelling cats! I started putting them around my boarder plants and the cats moved into the lawn to do their deposits, but now I've sprinked the grounds onto the grass it's been free from cat faeces for a while! Plus the bonus is that if you love the smell of coffee, your garden will smell for a few days when you water it or it rains.

So why spend money when you can pick up free used coffee grounds from your local Starbucks?

Hope it helps!

It doesn't work in Costa. Last time I was there I saw a huge ginger Tom drinking a frappuccino.
The Following User Says Thank You to Harveycat For This Useful Post: Show me >>
Closed Thread