Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Dellgirl101
    Notional capital and welfare benefit
    • 1st Jun 11, 12:03 PM
    Notional capital and welfare benefit 1st Jun 11 at 12:03 PM
    Hello,
    My friend has been summoned to answer charges that he has knowingly got rid of notional capital in order to gain welfare benefit. He's been pleading not guilty but I've done some reading and thought that a guilty plea with explanation may be best. To cut a long story short, he's unemployed for the last 3 & 1/2 years. He's borrowed money to do some needed work in the house. However the benefit officer saw this and told him that this "notional capital" prevented him from receiving benefits. In his ignorance he gave back the money or most of it I think with the argument ridding d himself of debt and possibly bankruptcy should he not get a job in near future is better for his overall welfare/welbeing. He also thought that it didn't seem right applying for benefit and at same time incurring debt. Can these arguments stand up before a trial? He's really worried about this . Thanks for all the help.
Page 1
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

179Posts Today

1,507Users online

Martin's Twitter